Need sum opinions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need sum opinions!

Well, currently i've been looking for a sweeet 97' 240sx but couldnt find one. One of meh buddies beat me to an good deal on one. Now its down to an old skool 93 RPS 13 or an 2000 WRX. Such a hard decission. Need sum votes.

I vote for you to stop posting.

What is the car going to be used for? Are you just gonna jump on the bandwagon of tyte-driftingz0rz or what?

Comment

Well i've been drifting for about an yr. but mainly i will be using this car for drifting. I gave my old car to my brother before i left for college. The problem here is that i live in state college and snows a hella lot up here. and with a 240 im gonna have some trouble gettin around in the ice but with a AWD WRX thats a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by BluePanda523
        Well i've been drifting for about an yr. but mainly i will be using this car for drifting. I gave my old car to my brother before i left for college. The problem here is that i live in state college and snows a hella lot up here. and with a 240 im gonna have some trouble gettin around in the ice but with a AWD WRX thats a different story.
        yeah thats sick, u went to college but u dont know how to talk, AN YEAR, A AWD, u got that backwards, no offense, WRX isnt All Wheel Drive, its 4WD, it has differences in LSD, but a WRX is great for snow, but once the snow melts u better know wat ur doing with ur car before u try ne thing. Its a lot different than FR or MR cars, all 4 tires r gonna b sliding so ur more out of control n wen u get to high speed drifting dont *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* up, ur lsd WILL with out a doubt lock up on u, just last tuesday i saw it happen n he flipped his lancer on the offramp, honestly he was just racing but if he knew what he was doing he could have controlled it, just watch urself. Know what your doing when its summer time

Comment

Originally posted by SeanFC3S
          yeah thats sick, u went to college but u dont know how to talk, AN YEAR, A AWD, u got that backwards, no offense, WRX isnt All Wheel Drive, its 4WD, it has differences in LSD, but a WRX is great for snow, but once the snow melts u better know wat ur doing with ur car before u try ne thing. Its a lot different than FR or MR cars, all 4 tires r gonna b sliding so ur more out of control n wen u get to high speed drifting dont *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* up, ur lsd WILL with out a doubt lock up on u, just last tuesday i saw it happen n he flipped his lancer on the offramp, honestly he was just racing but if he knew what he was doing he could have controlled it, just watch urself. Know what your doing when its summer time

Actually you got it backwards. Subarus are AWD, not 4WD. Also, to the first poster, they didn't make a WRX in 2000, just the 2.5RS

Comment

first of all, the rps13's are only available in Japan. the JDM nissan 180sx with either the ca18det or the sr20det has the chassis code rps13, rs13, and krps13... the USDM 240sx's have different chassis codes like.. hs13, rhs13fb, rms13, kms13, ms13, krms13, etc...

anyway, i heard you go to Penn State main campus.. i attend there as well. What a small world... what major/year are you? i have a 240sx and yes, snow is hard to drive in but it's possible. I never had snow tires as well... it's good counter steering practice if you ask me.

Comment

This is for new guys. Take it easy on him. Maybe he is new to cars in general. Help him out. You will feel better afterward.
              My .02
              -jeff

Comment

Last I heard 4WD drifting isn't exactly a cakewalk. Not only that, you gotta be one helluva bad driver not to be able to handle a 240SX in the snow. Maybe if it was in the 250+ horsepower range you'd have more of an excuse. I drive my S13 year round in a place where winter is the longest season and I can tell you I prefer the RWD in the snow over FWD. If you can really drift, you should be able to handle snow.

B-Wurm

Comment

I second the "take it easy on the new guy" thing. This is a beginners area. Some leway is expected.

You have a few choices ahead of you. First is the fwd versus awd and which is better for you, both in drivability and driftability. Second, how much snow do you get and how well does the city clear the roads? A rwd car may or may not be an issue if the snow rarely gets deep or the city is efficient at keeping the roads driveable.

First rwd versus awd. Drivability, awd is just nice to have. The WRX'es are fun cars to drive. I've been driving a Forester for almost a year and have test driven a WRX, albeit a somewhat beat on one. For winter, you'll like the go capabilty of awd. Taking off from a stop with a 4wd and a 2wd are two different worlds when things are slippery.

Still, rwd isn't the end of the world. My brother got around for 8 years in an old, rusted out, 2wd, underpowered, open-diffed, pos '88 Ford Ranger. We get an ok amount of snow here in Minnesota, and the truck didn't fair horribly. It was even an interm vehicle that I owned for a breif few months between the death of my old Lesabre and my current Forester. I drove it through the full winter and never had a problem getting around. I never had the thing straight much, but it never got stuck. For pure fun factor, you have a hard time outdoing a rwd in the snow.

For drifting, awd and rwd are again two different worlds. There's benifits and drawbacks to both systems. Awd is basically fwd and rwd put together. Its behavior when drifting is just that. There's a sticky in the technique section on awd drifting so I won't go into it much. You can read that for yourself. I've been toying with my Subie for about a year, and I can say it is a bit tricky to drift. As well, if you're on high traction surfaces, much more power is needed to get the same spin on command ability that you can get easily with a rwd. One major characteristic that sticks out for me between rwd and awd platforms is the independent front/rear control during drifting. With a rwd you are given completely seperate controls to adjust how either the front or rear end is moving. Steering is for up front and throttle is for rear. However, with an awd system, things get combined. You lose the independent feel and combinations of both throttle and steering are required to perform the same adjustments. The driving styles are quite different. Awd is slide a bit shallower and with very little countersteering. It's not as showy as a rwd drift.

I currently drive an awd for the same reasons you are looking. I too wanted something that was practicle and would get me around in the winter as well as still provide a driftable platform. However, if I wanted something to purely drift, I would pick rwd over awd. It just feels right. I find awd requires a proper setup to feel good. This is something I have yet to get into with my Forester.

Comment

Working...
                  X