S13 what year to buy??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S13 what year to buy??

This is my first 240sx let alone my first Nissan. I am looking to buy a 240sx but don't know what year to buy, however I do like the S13 body style. Basically what I'm saying is what year to buy and are there a differences in the motors in the S13's if so what motor should I look out for. Should I go for a 5speed or an auto what are the drawbacks to both in this vehicle? I grew up on American 4cyl cars like my 98 Z24 5speed Cavalier and I am pushing almost 300whp with it but am looking for more there isn't enough parts support out there for my car plus I wanna drift and the Cavy understeers too much for that. I heard that there is a SOHC and a DOHC in this car is that true if so common sense tells me to go for the DOHC but what motor is there more parts available for it? I want a car with no limits on hp I want to build a 240 to the extreme that's what my friends know me for and I don't want any more damn limitations like there are with American 4cyl cars! Sorry built up anger with chevy lol.

the cheapest and most seen are those from '89-'94 with the flip-ups
    If your looking for something that you can practice in and dont have to worry to much about, go for these.
    the parts are cheap and easy to replace, and they are fun cars overall
    s13-s15 are a little more expensive and harder to find.
    but all in all parts are usually cheap
    i only know that the '89-'94 240sx has a ka24det or something like that
    ive never read into the others, but im sure you can find that info with the search button.

Comment

'89-'90: Equipped with a KA24E, which is the SOHC model. The KA24E puts out 140hp/5600rpm and 152 ft/lbs tq/4400rpm. This model design is the 1st generation of S13, often referred to as "Zenki".
      '91-'94: Equipped with a KA24DE, which is the DOHC model. The KA24DE puts out 155hp/5600rpm and 160ft/lbs tq/4400rpm. This model design is the 2nd generation, often referred to as "Chuuki". Note, the S13 was only produced in '94 as the more "luxurious" convertible.

The S13 240SX has a very large and expansive aftermarket. There are a wide variety of different parts available for just about every aspect of the car. The S13 caters to tuners that seek to make the car a "show queen", a "dyno queen", a "track beast", and so forth. Also, the Japanese aftermarket offers vastly more products than the American market, mainly because of the fact that the S13 240SX is to Japan as the EG/EK series Civic is to America.

Buying a 5spd model or an A/T model depends solely on your choice. If you feel like getting one over the other, then go for it. However if you buy one, with intention on swapping over to the other, I would suggest that you save the time and just get your desired transmission, whichever it may be.

As for engines, most people that buy the S13 usually have the full intention of swapping over to the JDM engine, the SR20DET, which came factory equipped with a turbocharger. Doing this is solely for "off-road purposes" with "no intention of street-use." Those that choose to keep the KA-series motor choose to go with the cars equipped with the KA24DE, which are slightly more powerful than its predecessor. The KA-series is a very strong motor and can take hundreds of thousands of miles of abuse. Problem is, most have already seen hundreds of thousands of miles of abuse.

To differentiate '89-'90 from '91-'94, pay attention to the bumper. The '89-'90 uses a bumper commonly referred to as the "pig-nose", which has open slits in the center of the bumper that resemble a pig's snout. Also, the '89-'90 has rectangular front turn signals, whereas the '91-'94 has turn signals are more rounded. Also, the biggest giveaway between generations is the engine, as previously discussed.

Lastly, if you want to buy a S13 to learn how to drift, please, for the love of Gah, do it in a responsible setting, like on a track or a clinic within a controlled environment. I say this not just for your own safety, but for the safety of the motoring public. Drifting around a corner may seem cool, until you run into Mr. Curb, or Mr. Hobo, or Mr. PoPo, or whomever. Keep it safe and off the streets.

This is just a small piece of info. You can find lots more by searching throughout the internet. Please take the time to do so, and you will make yourself feel a lot better about buying a S13.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

This has been covered several times. Search.

Comment

Working...
        X