DRIFTING, Impact from the Economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRIFTING, Impact from the Economy

Considering Drifting.com is the heartbeat of Drifting, I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on what their spending habits are with:

1. Purchasing products to fix up your cars for horsepower or performance.
    2. Participating at drift events.
    3. Participating at local drift days.
    4. Attending Drift events as a spectator.

Bottom of the line, with the state of the economy, has this economy affected you in spending money on your car?

Common questions:

Are you still spending money on parts to make your drift car faster or better?
    Are you still aiming to participate at any Drift Events (Drift days, PROAM, or PRO)?
    Do you intend to go to multiple drift events in 2009?
    Do you plan on taking your family at any Drift Events?
    Do you even care about the state of the economy?
    Are you, as fan of Drifting, still have a job and are spending money on your car?
    Why are you still spending money on your drift car or going to events?

Is there anything financially keeping you from spending money on your drift car or attending the events?

Let's try to not get controversial and get into any arguments. This is strictly informative and everyone will be just telling their side of the story.
    Chime in with your particular case on how you feel about your money and participating one way or another in Drifting.

Thank you.

Ron Bergenholtz

Bottom of the line, with the state of the economy, has this economy affected you in spending money on your car?
    I have talked to several people about this and anyone who was purchasing parts on credit has been affected because the banks that caused this economic shock by their reckless mortgage lending are now charging ridiculous rates and they are suspending credit. Many saw this coming in 2005 but the scale of the consumer dependence on credit was underestimated.

+ Gas Prices, gas price increase since 2005 were a JOKE
    + Lower Rent, rent increases since 2005 were a JOKE
    + Price rate is lower but not everyone is really getting the benefits of this like before, Ex. car loans
    + Cheap used stuff on craigslist!
    - Lending is tight and more expensive
    - Job Losses

+Formula D hit a record at their last Irwindale event and drifting is growing strong outside the USA

Comment

well what i was wondering and don't know if anybody answered this yet is: was the redbull event a good turnout? i mean it wasn't exactly crowded. im not sure it there was just too much space and so it made the crowd look small or if not that many people showed up. but then again this could just be due to bad event timing because of the fires and watnot.

Comment

why is this even a topic. your *Censored**Censored**Censored*.

of course the economy is putting a damper on people's hobby of drifting.

im sure when most US automobile companies are rumored to go out of buisness, it will affect american drifting as a professional sport.

Comment

Actually because I've been fairly smart / lucky financially, it hasn't effected me that much. Almost all my spare money goes into my car or going to races.

I'm still planning on buying a full coilover setup next month, I'm still working on things in my engine to keep it reliable. Thing is I have always done my own wrenching which saves me a lot of money.

Comment

Originally posted by ReDc0aT View Post
            why is this even a topic. your *Censored**Censored**Censored*.

of course the economy is putting a damper on people's hobby of drifting.

im sure when most US automobile companies are rumored to go out of buisness, it will affect american drifting as a professional sport.

If the big three go under,then most american motor sports will go right with it.

As for me, i don't own a project/drift car as of yet (i drive an FJ Cruiser),but will continue to go to events as long as there are events to go too, as well as what my Budget allows.

Comment

im broke

everyone i know is broke

but i will keep trying to drift

build cheap cars

go to drift events and try to support sponsors

Comment

How many of you have a drift car..........work and buy parts for it............... participate in any drifting events?

Comment

me.

aye!

Comment

Originally posted by teambergenholtz View Post
                    How many of you have a drift car..........work and buy parts for it............... participate in any drifting events?
                    Me, yes, always.

Comment

Me +3

its all about what you do with your money,how much you make and how much you are shelling out to other things....

personally as i got more and more into motorsports.. other hobbies such as computers/steroids went away. other than paying bills and buying hookers, drifting is where all my money goes.. I still have money in the bank but yea....

the economy is a crutch for hard parkers to use when questioned as to why they dont display those killer drift skills they aquired from watching hours of dvds lol.. ( sacasim )

Comment

Originally posted by teambergenholtz View Post
                        Me. All it takes is time and Patience, and the ability to save money.
                        Last edited by eomund240; 11-24-2008, 02:37 PM.

Comment

The economy effected us in a round about way. We saw the economy going for the worse and decided to tighten up on all of our spending just in case. That included drifting, since that is what we spent the majority of our money on. I do have to say that as things have gotten worse and worse economy wise, our shop hasn't really had too much of an incline in part sales or building cars. The downturn we have experienced very recently isn't anymore than we see every year during the holidays.

Comment

I can't do anything right now, because I'm unemployed... Anyone know any places hiring in San Diego? Cause I sure as hell can't find any.

Comment

Originally posted by Sebring View Post
                              I can't do anything right now, because I'm unemployed... Anyone know any places hiring in San Diego? Cause I sure as hell can't find any.
                              http://sandiego.craigslist.org/jjj/

Comment

Working...
                              X