ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"DRIFT TRUCK" Im gonna Do It!!! Goods and Bads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eomund240 View Post
    As long as you plan on changing the motor. 'Cause I will tell you this, the stock Ranger motors are GUTLESS (I have one and it's nicknames the gutless wonder). And yes I'm saying this knowing you said 4.0L.
    The 4.0L in my brother's old '94 Ranger wasn't gutless, the 2.3L was another story. The newer 3.0Ls were better, but just don't still make enough power. If you turbo the 2.3L, it comes alive. Haven't heard much about 2.5Ls being turbocharged, but I've been out of the Ranger loop for a few years now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Justin Banner View Post
      The 4.0L in my brother's old '94 Ranger wasn't gutless, the 2.3L was another story. The newer 3.0Ls were better, but just don't still make enough power. If you turbo the 2.3L, it comes alive. Haven't heard much about 2.5Ls being turbocharged, but I've been out of the Ranger loop for a few years now.
      I have the 2.5. Don't touch it, don't even service it. I decided to do plugs and wires about 3 months ago being as it was due, and it's the most retarted setup in history. The intake manifold wraps over the entire top of the engine, not only making it almost impossible to work on, but very painfull to do certain tasks. The plugs are BEHIND the intake manifold, who does that? On top of that, who ever heard of a 2.5L engine that only makes 120hp (closer to 100 IMO) new, with even less torque? And this is in 1998. My 1990 SOHC 2.4L Nissan makes way more than that.

Sorry, done ranting on my Ford.

One thing I am curious about is the suspension setup. I do some heavy hauling in my truck so I was looking to put some air bags in there about a year ago. I ended up never doing it 'cause the metal where you would mount it was really flimsy and not meant for that, and the frame there would've been a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* to mount to. And I didn't want to mess with the stock damper mounts. I wonder how much fabrication it would take for a setup like this to work. Possibly run a modified off road setup?

Something like this to help keep it low, but still have realistic travel.

Comment

One thing I am curious about is the suspension setup. I do some heavy hauling in my truck so I was looking to put some air bags in there about a year ago. I ended up never doing it 'cause the metal where you would mount it was really flimsy and not meant for that, and the frame there would've been a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* to mount to. And I didn't want to mess with the stock damper mounts. I wonder how much fabrication it would take for a setup like this to work. Possibly run a modified off road setup?

Something like this to help keep it low, but still have realistic travel.
        I don't quite get what you're asking. Usually, going to a full bag setup requires a 3- or 4-link suspension and installing your mounts by bolting them on or welding the mounts in. Depending on which way and how low you go, you'd cut and install a new "C"-notch in the rear frame where the axle tubes sit. My dad and my brother even had to do this when they flipped the spring perch from above the axle tube to below it (thus getting a 3-4" drop from just that). So, you're looking at a fairly expensive kit and some long labor times.

Oh, just a note from DJM:

"The term "Flip Kit" is sometimes misunderstood. Nothing is actually "Flipped". In fact what really happens is the rear axle is moved from beneath the leaf spring to on top on the leaf spring. This will typically result in a 5" to 8" drop depending on the thickness of the leaf spring."

Comment

• You misunderstand me on the bags. I had no intention of removing or altering my stock suspension or changing my ride height. From what my Dad told me, there's an old school trick to put bags between your leaf springs and frame and when you're hauling a load, you bump up the pressure to help it ride more level.

When looking into this, that's when I noticed how flimsy the bed was right above the axil and the frame right there is a pretty small mounting point.

It would probably be similar to putting on a bag setup, meaning as usual, I'm over complicating it in my head.

And ya, I know what a flip kit is. On the old Chevy Scottsdales, this was a trick to actually raise it because the axils were on top on those.

Comment

When looking into this, that's when I noticed how flimsy the bed was right above the axil and the frame right there is a pretty small mounting point.
            Ok, I understand now. Those are still sold and it's a bolt on, some drilling, but easy affair. Trust me, you've got enough frame to install it.

God, look up all this Ranger stuff is nearly making me want to drop my RX7 and go Ranger again. I've even found a '87 for $500, I've also found wide fenders that are used for off road that could look good on it with some 17's and a modest 2/4 drop. Ugh, projects... floating... in.. MIND.

Comment

• first off is it all ou do is sit on a comp playing with your selves google again i got everything on my build site and my loading site so if yu think im bull *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* watch d1 also have anyone of you tried you have to do so much to get into d1 so get off your a ss and slide your ride i was 1 of 7 that got out with a mini truck so that means one thing GET TO WORK I DID IT YOU COULD TO IF YOU DONT LIVE ON THE COMPUTER ill be there in a 1990 nissan d21 with a modified ka24det and while your goggling the net goto my site all paper work pics and everything that you wish you could do is there

Comment

• as for hunter do you watch tv and wish you were there? sorry i got out and do something as for the 1,789 ppl who registered to slide this year how many will you see o yeah the top 16 i know im not good enough to get that far but im trying so GO DO SOMTHING stop whining like you know what your doing some of us are and and its what you cant so SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND GOTO WORK I HOPE YOU TRY ONE DAY SO I CAN STOMP YOUR >>>> IN THE DIRT!!!

Comment

• LMAO! What events have you done?

Comment

• Originally posted by sikend6985 View Post
                    as for hunter do you watch tv and wish you were there? sorry i got out and do something as for the 1,789 ppl who registered to slide this year how many will you see o yeah the top 16 i know im not good enough to get that far but im trying so GO DO SOMTHING stop whining like you know what your doing some of us are and and its what you cant so SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND GOTO WORK I HOPE YOU TRY ONE DAY SO I CAN STOMP YOUR >>>> IN THE DIRT!!!
                    Dude, you have 4 posts on here and I can't find a Hardbody on the Formula Drift Pro/AM site. You typically earn your license at the Pro/AM. Your attitude isn't winning you any fans and you don't have any proof other than your four posts. Give us some hard proof (site, pictures, etc), the we'd be more able to start to believe you.

I'm also trying to get my racing effort going (trying for Redline Time Attack as a Franchised Mod RWD Driver), and as a sole venture, it's tough. So, if you're doing and making it, more power to you considering the economic environment we're in. I can Guarantee coverage, have a radio show (more on that in Feb ) and ROI (Return On Investment), but I'm still having trouble getting financial sponsorship with a shoe string budget.

Comment

• JB, seriously, it's a waste of time with people like that. He thinks because he can do a donut around a cone that he's got tremendous skill. He's not in the Pro-Am, if he is, he's not a listed driver(). He's NOT, and I repeat NOT, going to FD 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, etc. It's not worth it.

I have a better chance of doing FD 09 than he does, and I probably won't be able to enter Pro-Am until 2010, LMAO!

-Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by hunterd557 View Post
                        JB, seriously, it's a waste of time with people like that. He thinks because he can do a donut around a cone that he's got tremendous skill. He's not in the Pro-Am, if he is, he's not a listed driver(). He's NOT, and I repeat NOT, going to FD 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, etc. It's not worth it.

I have a better chance of doing FD 09 than he does, and I probably won't be able to enter Pro-Am until 2010, LMAO!

-Dave
                        You know, I do know better, but I don't know. I guess I'm too good of a guy.

Anyway, emailed the guy about the Ranger, but it was already sold. Looking at a '87 Hardbody now, found the same style fenders for it as well. Seen where a bagged Hardbody had already used them on his and it looked awesome.

Comment

• LOL! Yup, I was thinking to myself, was I that bad? Yeah, yeah I was . . .I was a huge poser, but I learned my lesson, and it's much easier to just tell the truth than try to propagate lies. . .

He'll learn one day . . .we just need to sit back and wait.

-Dave

Comment

• dave i dont know you so i wont say much but doing little stunts around a cone lol funny im on here to help your here to *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* stop going through pro/am is THE ONLY way to get in but in an event that do to acts of god ie: broken arm,leg an extenision may be given to a driver like me im not going to say when and where i drive cause we dont need some fake a ss like you to show up and as for anyone trying for REAL i have pics and also some extra parts that might help on our build site we can show some ideas for mods for your motor, suspension, and frame

Comment

• Originally posted by sikend6985 View Post
                              dave i dont know you so i wont say much but doing little stunts around a cone lol funny im on here to help your here to *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* stop going through pro/am is THE ONLY way to get in but in an event that do to acts of god ie: broken arm,leg an extenision may be given to a driver like me im not going to say when and where i drive cause we dont need some fake a ss like you to show up and as for anyone trying for REAL i have pics and also some extra parts that might help on our build site we can show some ideas for mods for your motor, suspension, and frame

What?! ROFLMAO! You are so full of crap!

Pro-AM IS the only way for any of us to accomplish access to FD.

If you have pics and whatever, hit us up! Show us some stuff.

A fake "a ss" like me? LMAO! Son, I've done more events this year than some have done since they started drifting. LMAO!

Unlike you, I know what I'm talking about and as I mentioned, I learned my lesson. I don't speak unless I'm absolutely sure of something. I don't make up BS about stuff that I don't do and I don't go around propegating it as if I'm so awesome! That was SOOO 2007, LOL! I was there once, but now I've matured and moved on.

Maybe you should do the same and realize that out-right lying isn't the way for people to think you're cool!

-Dave

PS: If you want to see how "fake" I am, you can check my website, it has pictures, videos and documentation of me being "fake". HAHA! Ahh yes . . .all of the drama, none of the drifting.

Comment

• Originally posted by hunterd557
                                If you have pics and whatever, hit us up! Show us some stuff.
                                He's still trying to find some he can steal without anyone noticing they're not his. Give the man time.

Comment

Working...
                                X