This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noobs start here (BEGINNERS)

Since there have been many complaints about noobs infesting the forum and not using the infamous "search button," I took the liberty of doing it all myself for you noobs.

After reading that I think it would be a good time to read this post started by me to help choose a good car for a family member of mine.
    Starter Car

So you think you found the right car for yourself, but don't know where to get one... Here's a site (also a magazine you can purchase) called AutoTrader. I personally recommend using this site due to the fact that:
    A) Its easy to use.
    B) You can find cars in your area.
    C) Most of the cars are fairly cheap. (I bought my '91 300zx for about 4k using this site.)
    There are other sites to use, but that is the best one that comes to mind.

Ok... So you bought a car (you have some left over cash) and now you want to make a couple modifications to it... No problem, but I would recommend getting used to your car in the stock form. But if you really insist on modding out your car, Yahoo has many auto part sales sites. A couple sites I have found useful are:
    A) Mod-A-Car
    B) 2kRacing
    C) Advanced Auto
    There are many, many more sites out there. So don't limit yourself to just those.

So let’s recap...
    You've read up some on what drifting is.
    You have a car. Maybe you slapped 15k into it maybe you didn't.
    You've practiced for a couple weeks and feel you are up for new challenges. Here are some techniques (correct me if I am in anyway wrong past this point.)

I'm going to go in alphabetical order (not in order of difficulty) of what techniques I can think of. I'm also researching these as I go along so I get everything right. YES, I AM DOING RESEARCH FOR YOU!

First we have...

“Braking drifting”
    To perform this, trail brake into a corner. As you do this, you will lose grip. When that happens, balance the car by steering and using throttle motions. This is normally used on medium to low speed corners.

“Clutch Kick”
    To do this depress the clutch pedal while approaching or during a mild drift. Then pop the clutch to give a sudden jolt. When you do this, the jolt makes the driveline disturbed and the rear loses traction.

“Dirt Drop Drift” (If you have seen Initial D they refer to it as the “Gutter Technique.”)
    This is performed by “dropping” the rear tires off the side of the road and into the dirt to keep or gain drift angle without losing power or speed and to set up for the next turn. Note that this technique is very useful for low horsepower cars. (Just like the “86.”)

"E-Brake Drift" (Described by Nissanguy_24)
    This is a very basic technique. Just pull the hand break (a.k.a. the E-Break) to make the back of your car lose traction and balance the drift by steering and quick throttle motions. This can also be very useful when you need to correct errors or fine tune you angle of drift.

"Faint Drift"
    To do this, rock the car towards the outside of the turn and then, using the rebound of grip, throw the car into the regular cornering direction. Quick note: This is a rally racing technique that is used to change your car’s approach during cornering, normally used on tight corners.

"FF Drift" (Front wheel drive drift)
    The E-brake, steering, and braking techniques must be used to balance your car through the corner. The E-brake however is the main method used to balance out your drift.

"Jump Drift"
    In this technique bounce the rear tire on the apex (this means the inside) of the turn over the curb to lose traction resulting in over steer.

"Kansei Drift"
    You have to be pretty fast for this. When entering a high speed corner lift your foot off the throttle. This induces a mild over steer. Then balance the drift by steering and throttle motions. To do this however, your car should be a neutral balanced car. Therefore the over steer will induce itself. If the car plows through the turn this technique won’t work.

"Long Slide Drift"
    Yet another use for the E-brake. Pull the E-brake through a strait to start a high angel drift and hold it so you set up for the turn ahead. Now remember, this can obviously only be done at high speed. Otherwise you wont slide to far.

I think that’s enough for now... There are many more techniques, but the best one is up to you. To look for more techniques and what not, visit the DRIFTING Technique forum. Its always good to read, but don't forget to practice. Anyways, by the time you learn half the techniques up there you are probably very good, or very lucky.

I hope this helped you all out. And I hope this clears up some of the useless threadage. I'm not trying to frighten anyone away, but due to a recent coalition of people not liking the forum being stormed by new comers and attacking them to use the "search button." Here is the work done for you, and I not only used the site's search button but Google as well.

I don't feel this is the best lesson in drifting, but it should give you a start and something to learn from. I'm, however, hoping this will become a sticky, but that is up to the administration.
    Not at all...
    9.92%
    Yes, but not good enough to be a sticky.
    8.65%
    Yeah, I was great! Lets make it stick!
    81.42%

hey man, this is a considerate gesture. nice work.

Comment

This thread should get stickied for future use by newbies everywhere.

Comment

good job for being a newbie yourself.... jk

Comment

VertigoEpidemic......what a contribution.......the thing about this thread you made is how are you going to keep this post up long enough for newbies to see it and if it wasn't posted on days on end how would the newbies know to search for it?
          my awesome suggestion put a link to it on your sig thing..or whatever....
          because the vast majority of them create their own thread asking the same questions over and over!
          but overall MAD PROPS AND GOOD JOB!
          this is going to help all the newbies across the globe
          Last edited by DrifterN; 06-23-2004, 03:10 PM.

Comment

ii setsumei...

Comment

Originally posted by FormulaDrifter
              good job for being a newbie yourself.... jk
              heh... thanks!

Originally posted by DrifterN
              VertigoEpidemic......what a contribution.......the thing about this thread you made is how are you going to keep this post up long enough for newbies to see it and if it wasn't posted on days on end how would the newbies know to search for it?
              my awesome suggestion put a link to it on your sig thing..or whatever....
              because the vast majority of them create their own thread asking the same questions over and over!
              but overall MAD PROPS AND GOOD JOB!
              this is going to help all the newbies across the globe
              Already there if you didn't see.

Comment

ah....good job wow i didn't see that hahah

Comment

yes good job indeed. whats up with my junior member thing? bah i dont care.

Comment

yea GJ from me as well. but one thing: its feint not faint

Comment

Originally posted by Thai Juku
                      ii setsumei...
                      Man I'd love to know what that means in english

Comment

Originally posted by VertigoEpidemic
                        Man I'd love to know what that means in english
                        ii=good and setsumei=explain
                        so basically its like good explanation!

Comment

Originally posted by yarzan
                          yea GJ from me as well. but one thing: its feint not faint
                          Gran turismo calls it "faint" and Polyphony digital has done some hardcore work making the game as realistic as possible. GT calls it faint, im calling it faint :P

Comment

fainting= passing out

feinting= making a short usually fake move, used in boxing... eg. He feinted with a jab and hit with a cross... used to describe a feint drift, as you jolt the car one way, to throw the weight that way, then jolt back and drift with MAd TyTE dOrI sKiLLz!

They are different words with differnt meanings... dont confuse them...and just beacuse Gran turismo used a differnt word...dosent mean its right..

Comment

Mate that was a great post. Helped heaps.

This is my first post

Comment

Working...
                              X