This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acronyms

Well, its pretty late and im really bored, so i thought i'de do something usefull for a change. So I'm starting to compile a list of acronyms and definitions for the newcomers of both drifting, and the automotive world. To help try and educate them, seeing as though some can't be bothered to search for themselves, or maybe they don't know exactly what to search for. They might type in LSD and instead get a bunch of sites on the drug . I'm not going to include chassis codes on specific cars because their are just too many. Feel free to add and please don't hesitate to correct me of any mistakes...

P.S. I do not encourage the consumption of lysergic acid diethylamide or any other illegal narcotics...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RWD- Rear Wheel Drive
    FWD- Front Wheel Drive
    AWD- All Wheel Drive
    4WD- Four Wheel Drive
    FR- Front Engine, Rear Wheel Drive
    FF- Front Engine, Front Wheel Drive
    MR- Mid Engine*, Rear Wheel Drive
    RR- Rear Engine**, Rear Wheel Drive
    Lx- An engine with the cylinders aligned in a straight and inline fashion
    Vx- An engine with the cylinders, when looks at from the front, are aligned in a V formation.
    Boxer- A horizontally opposed engine, meaning that the cylinders oscillate in a horizontal motion, rather than a vertical.
    SOHC- Single Overhead Camshafts
    DOHC- Dual Overhead Camshafts
    EFI- Electronic Fuel Injection
    DFI- Direct Fuel Injection
    TDC- Top Dead Center
    BDC- Bottom Dead Center
    AFR- Air Fuel Ratio
    AFC- Air Flow Control
    CCV- Closed Crankcase Ventilation
    LSD- Limited Slip Differential
    VLSD- Viscous Limited Slip Differential
    VCD- Variable Central Differential
    ABS- Anti Lock Brakeing System
    AYC- Active Yaw Control
    VTEC- Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control
    VVTi- Variable Valve Timing Intelligence
    TCS- Traction Control System
    ASM- Anti Spin Mechanism
    ECU- Electronic Control Unit
    RPM- Revolutions Per Minute
    PSI- Pounds Per Square Inch
    BHP- Brake Horsepower
    RWHP- Rear Wheel Horsepower
    HUD- Heads Up Display
    BOV- Blow Off Valve
    A/C- Air Conditioning
    LCD- Liquid Crystal Display
    LED- Light Emitting Diode
    VIN- Vehicle Identification Number
    OEM- Original Equipment Manufacturer
    CAFE- Corporate Average Fuel Economy
    MSRP- Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price

*Mid being infront of the rear axle
    ** Rear being behind the rear axle

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've Posted links to this information before, but i thought it would be more convenient if i just put them here. Those links can be found here

Nissan Engine Code Breakdown

The first letter(s) signify engine family, the numerals that follow explain the engines displacement. The suffixes at the end explain any additional features.

Note:These are suffixes
    E- Electronic Fuel Injection
    D- Dual Overhead Camshafts
    T- Turbocharged
    TT- Twin Turbocharged

Toyota Engine Code Breakdown

The numbers at the beginning signify the age of the bottom-end design (ie the larger the number the newer the design). The letter(s) after this number then identifies which engine family the specific engine belongs to. The suffixes at the end explain any additional features.

E- Electronic Fuel Injection
    F- Economy type engine with narrow angle head
    G- Dual Overhead Camshafts
    Z- Supercharged
    T- Turbocharged (either single or twin)

Mazda Engine Breakdown

From what i can see, Mazda does not use a specific engine classification method, rather, their engines are named according to that design. I will just list the names of the rotary engines here, for more information on Mazda engines feel free to visit the link provided earlier.

12A- Early Model Twin Rotor Wankel Rotary
    13B- Later Model Twin Rotor Wankel Rotary
    13B-REW - Later Model Twin Rotor Wankel Rotary Sporting Twin Turbos
    20B- Triple Rotor Wankel Rotary
    RENESIS- Twin Rotor Wankel Rotary. The name is derived from 'Rotary Engine' 'Genesis'

Honda Engine Code Breakdown

Honda's method of engine classification is rather simple. First letter(s) signify engine family, numerals then show engine displacement and suffixes signify engine generation.

A- First Generation Engine
    B- Second Generation Engine

This is only what i could remember right now, there is so much more out there, but your not doing any good asking the most basic of questions here. Please do your own research before asking a question, educate yourself. Good places to start are Google or the auto section at How Stuff Works .
    Last edited by Fuiiru; 07-15-2004, 06:26 AM.

it's boxer, not boxter. a boxter is a porsche.

Comment

*Fixed*

Thank you

I've also decided to include an explanation on a few engine codes. Even though I should be asleep by now. 2:48am

Comment

Pretty good, amazingly a simple thing that no one has done.

Comment

i'll assume that VLSD is a variation of the LSD then? i recall nissanguy writing something about it in his overview on the s13 chassis.

Comment

Originally posted by ozzimark
            i'll assume that VLSD is a variation of the LSD then?
            That is correct. VLSD means Viscous Limited Slip Differential and is generally used for grip applications. How it achieves this, I'm not too sure myself. However, an explanation can be found here.
            Last edited by Fuiiru; 07-13-2004, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Parry
              it's boxer, not boxter. a boxter is a porsche.
              lmao. hmmm there' s this one, but can't seem to remember? maybe it's like RWHP or WD40? wht does WD stand for? huuuh?

Comment

Originally posted by Ripper
                lmao. hmmm there' s this one, but can't seem to remember? maybe it's like RWHP or WD40? wht does WD stand for? huuuh?
                RWHP- Rear Wheel Horsepower
                WD40- Water Displacement, 40th Attempt

Comment

I've seen this on the subaru owners fourm, they had like...ten pages of stuff... but yea good looking out for posting this to those that dont know.

Also I've asked alot of people who i think know alot about cars and suspension, none know what the $%^# Yaw is, could somone please enlighten me?
                  Last edited by panda_3ight_6; 07-13-2004, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by panda_3ight_6
                    Also I've asked alot of people who i think know alot about cars and suspension, none know what the $%^# Yaw is, could somone please enlighten me?
                    An explanation of what Yaw is can be found here . Yaw is generally a term used in aviation. It is the horizontal rotation of an object along its centre of gravity. So its basically just a fancy term for turning.

An explanation of how the AYC works can be found here . The AYC works as an electronic torque splitter, distributing torque to the desired wheel. It's purpose is to enhace better grip and steering responese whilst driving through the bend itself. In an understeering condition, the inner wheel would be given more torque and the outer wheel given less for a better turning rate.
                    Last edited by Fuiiru; 07-13-2004, 05:18 PM.

Comment

its funny cuz i wuz gonna post something exactly like this (except the fact that i didn't already know all of that but my account hadn't been activated since i almost never check my e mail.... dumb mistake i guess, but u should all know that im not just some dumb newbie, i know what i gotta know... anyways i think thats just a great artical and its just what we need and it should be made a sticky at least or even go right at the top of the home page. good work dude.

Comment

This is helpful for newbies like myself. Since I'm in the "New to Drifting" forum, can someone tell me what a 'hachi' is?
                        (yes, oh my god what a newb!!)

Comment

hachi is 8. roku is 6. hachiroku is *drumroll please..........*

Eight-Six

Comment

Thanks alot

Comment

I dont think your right about the honda engines. My dads crv has an 18b but its a 2.4 liter. i dont think the number means displacment. they have an explanation of yaw in gran turismo 2 actually. YAW generates rotational movement by controlling the distribution of torque between the left and right drive wheels.

Comment

Working...
                              X