No announcement yet.

Clutch Kick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually get so bored driving automatics that i fall asleep driving. I need the manual transmission to keep me up.

Comment

Try driving in downtown Seattle or San Fransisco in a manual. You can't possibly fall asleep with all that stopping and going on steep hills.

Comment

Originally posted by atlantian View Post
        For something without a manual clutch, I presume that it is okay to call the car an Automatic. Because no car is a manual unless you have a manual clutch. I fully understand what you are saying. But in a race with corners especially in an endurance race. A traditional maual with a six shifter is the best. It's simple, reliable, ligher, and you can downshift very fast to a base gear at the end of a high speed slalom.

And on a daily driver, it will be a more simple mechanism, and it will be ligher on your drive train, thus save more petrol. And as a personal preferance, I perfer using a clutch, it feels more gratifying.

You dont understand the guts of a manual transmission and a automatic transmission are nothing alike. A Automated manual is a computer controlled Manual trans the computer simply controls the clutch and the gear position

Automatics most all of them look very similar to this inside

manuals look like this inside

a automatic that you can shift (tiptronic or whatever) is just a regular auto that you have the ability to choose your gear

A Automated Manual (SMG , F1 style) is a manual trans with a computer controlled clutch and shift fork. Just because you don't have a clutch pedel to push doesn't mean that there isn't one being used. You just arn't the one pushing it. When you pull the shift paddle the computer releases the clutch then engauges the next gear then engages the clutch YOU are still in control of the gear changes because YOU still make that choice.

Comment

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but, I ment that, for me, "automatic" is a very opinion applicable term. I only call a car manual when it has a clutch pedal.

I understand there are different names to the different "manual" transmissions, but they are all variations of the double prop shaft gear box. The automated manuals are heavier then the traditional stick and are functionally unwieldy in tight situations.

"Slush boxes" on the other hand, is what you would call an "automatic" with clutch plates that engage at variable speeds. And those "sports automatics"(found in Porsche 964's and Volvos and many more) are just a torque converter with a locking mechanism.

And a traditional stick is still superior in road racing and day to day driving. I think you should read my post more carefully before accusing my ignorance about transmissions, but then again, it's my fault for spewing out an unorganized paragraph, sorry.

Edit:And no matter how hard you argue, a car with only two pedals is deemed to be an automatic. It's not how fast you upshift on the strights, it's how fast you downshift to get through and exit a corner.
          Last edited by ; 06-19-2008, 11:40 PM.

Comment

I am looking at this from a mechanics point of view as thats what I do for a living. An automatic with out a computer can shift itself and do it through fluid pressure a automated manual without a computer will not operate.

I never said I liked automated manuals better I am trying to clear up your dis info, Thats all I ever do when you are on the internet. Its like a full time job for me and I am getting tired of it.

Personally the only thing I will drive is a traditional manual, every car I have ever owned was a stick shift and I never plan on buying a auto.

Comment

Originally posted by Piner View Post
              I am looking at this from a mechanics point of view as thats what I do for a living. An automatic with out a computer can shift itself and do it through fluid pressure a automated manual without a computer will not operate.

I never said I liked automated manuals better I am trying to clear up your dis info, Thats all I ever do when you are on the internet. Its like a full time job for me and I am getting tired of it.

Personally the only thing I will drive is a traditional manual, every car I have ever owned was a stick shift and I never plan on buying a auto.
              Okay, glade we understand each other. But you didn't need to correct me.

Automatic refers to perception of the driver, where you have something automated on the driver side interface. And it turns out that the more stuff you add in driving aids, the more you hinder the driver, at least in racing. Synchronized gear boxes can be said to be "automatics" to a degree too.

I know what you mean about a gear box working the same way of a traditional manual.
              Last edited by ; 06-20-2008, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X