No announcement yet.

"automatic" Drifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No clutch kicks. Weight transfer and power over! Maybe if I can get my Ebrake working then long slides too!!

Comment

With a clutch you are so much more involved with the car and can, imo, control it much better. Partially because you determine when to shift, how fast to shift, how much the clutch is in engaged and when, etc, etc...

For the most part, people i see drift autos are much more boring to watch than a manula car that is equivelent.

Comment

I think Automatic drifting would be pretty frustrating, and unpredictable, because you have the car shifting whenever it feels like, rather than keeping it in one gear if you need to. Isn't there some lag as well when the tranny has to kick down to the lower gears? I dunno I could be wrong.

Comment

u can still choose your gears through the auto, i have 1,2,3,4 select on my auto

Comment

Yeah I agree with you guys about the manual giving you more control. Not only can you control the clutch enguagement, its much easier to slip into neutral. But I think the auto gets a bad reputation because nobody modifies them. There are ways to overcome the main problems of it not shifting when you want, or shifting gears too slow. I kinda like auto because it forces me to practice weight transfer. I dont think its better or anything, its actually much harder to make the drifts look good. When I finish building my 5 speed car I know all that practice with weight transfer will help out.

Comment

yeah autos are good in a way, if you start drifting with an auto then move to a manual you will have the advantageof knowing weight transfer and there limits

Comment

i have dinked around with auto in my late jeep (used to be one hell of a snow drifter) and my friends accord 4dr just before he got rid of it.. and that was in severe rain...was hella fun, could pitch it like 20 ft before the apex cause of the rain will lots of gas and a small amount of ebrake...lol

in any case, the way i learned RWD drifting was in a 280zx 2by2 (5 speed manual) but that car is such a pig that stuff like clutch kick doesnt really work, and neither does the ebrake. pretty much the only way to trow it sideways is to feint with hard braking and LOTS of gas...you have t worry alot about the balance of the car and the such, so its kinda like what you guys are talking about having to drift with just weight transfer

EDIT: forgot to mention that the 280 has and open diff..so that doesnt help

Comment

All I can say is Bubba Drift. Auto and its an El cCamino.

Comment

Working...
                  X