No announcement yet.

Make smoke from rear tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, as a newbie myself, what i would say is dont be concerned with the amount of smoke, be worried about how long you can hold the drift for and how sideways you can get doing it.

Comment

Wnat to smoke em like Nomura?

All you need is a ton of horsepower and you've got a start

Tires do help a lot though, I've seen quite a few little AE86's smoke them like theres no tommorrow, so big horsepower isn't essential. It just makes it a hell of a lot easier

Comment

i have heard tha dunlops leave a whiter smoke than other tires, but i havent had the chance to try it yet....tashi, what kind of car are you in? im curious cause like in the 280zx i was driving for a while, it would burn the tires, but not while left foot braking it, but my s13 i could just drop from like 3-4k and it would sit there smoking without hardly holding the brakes...also, i would agree with crashdrive that it wont help you learn to be a better drifter, just help you get more used to the smell of burnt rubber...cause get used to it, specially while you are learning cause like if you are manji drifting and you spin out, your car will be so full of smoke, you practically are choking on it...lol

Comment

Originally posted by SilverGhost
          i have heard tha dunlops leave a whiter smoke than other tires, but i havent had the chance to try it yet....tashi, what kind of car are you in? im curious cause like in the 280zx i was driving for a while, it would burn the tires, but not while left foot braking it, but my s13 i could just drop from like 3-4k and it would sit there smoking without hardly holding the brakes...also, i would agree with crashdrive that it wont help you learn to be a better drifter, just help you get more used to the smell of burnt rubber...cause get used to it, specially while you are learning cause like if you are manji drifting and you spin out, your car will be so full of smoke, you practically are choking on it...lol
          my car is z33

Comment

That shouldn't be too hard to burn the tires in.

Comment

unless the traction control is still turned on...but that is deactivated with the push of a button

Comment

Originally posted by Warped
                it's an electric solenoid that you install in line with your front brakes, Then you hold down the brake and press the button tied into the device. when you let go of the brake the front brakes will stay locked as long as you hold the button. Then punch the gas and burn like all hell broke loose, let go of the button and you release the front brakes. look here for a good install article.

Line lock Install
                where can i buy line lock??

Comment

dunlop fm 901's. ken nomura uses them. i tried them out too, and they smoke a lot. smoke might be cool but your driving skill is what is really gonna count when u drift.

Comment

Originally posted by tashi
                    where can i buy line lock??
                    performance shops sell them, lot's of places sell them online as well.

Comment

Nomura also uses a gas to fill his tires up. not sure what it is, I dont read japanese. But I believe it might be co2 or nitrogen. There was an artical about it. it shows the diffrence with and with out the gas. With out looks like a normal drifter smoking the tires. With the gas, its gives just the barreling smoke you see when he smokes out oppinets.

it was in the Dori Ten (tenGouku) mag with Miki's topsecret silvia on the cover

Comment

install a fog machine to the bottom of ur car near the rear tires...yeahhhh

Comment

a lil trick we use on lower powered cars (ie the 86) is to brush diesel on the rear tyres before goin out, and when they warm up they smoke like mofo's Does help when you have a tyre retailer as a sponsor though.

unfortuneately driftings become more about smokeshows and power these days... ah well...

Comment

Originally posted by GranMastrDrift
                            Nomura also uses a gas to fill his tires up. not sure what it is, I dont read japanese. But I believe it might be co2 or nitrogen. There was an artical about it. it shows the diffrence with and with out the gas. With out looks like a normal drifter smoking the tires. With the gas, its gives just the barreling smoke you see when he smokes out oppinets.

it was in the Dori Ten (tenGouku) mag with Miki's topsecret silvia on the cover
                            That gas you are referring to is Nitrogen.

You use nitrogen in your tires because it doesn't expand as much as "normal" air. Your tire pressure will be more consistent this way. All tire manufacturers will test their tires this way....they fill the tires w/ nitrogen...

He doesn't fill his tires up to produce more smoke. Smoke is produced by the tire itself...not from any gas that you will in the tires.

Comment

no where to get tires filled with nitrogen? or is it even road legal?

Comment

Costco fills their tires with Nitrogen. I assume some other tire shops do as well.

One technique you can use is to run a high tire pressure. 42PSI will give you quite a bit of smoke. However, the chances of a blowout may be higher, and also remember that the more smoke, the quicker you're burning that expensive rubber off.

Comment

Working...
                                X