No announcement yet.

Rhys Millen + Hyundai = .... ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The car has the 4B11 motor from the Evo X, and the Millen family is pretty familiar with Evo's. I don't see this car to be much different than the solstice - short wheel base 4banger turbo... throw in a cage and seats, make some body panels in CF, make adjustable suspension, and the rest is just some chassis tuning. With as much as the RMR team has gone through with the Solstice, I'm sure that building this car will be almost routine. Plus, Hyundai North America is just a few exits away on the freeway.

I think RMR will be very successful with this. I see GM looking to work with more teams in quantity (see Tuerck / Gardella and Ali A / CSI Racing ), and I don't think Rhys is getting the same amount of sponsorship he got in the original days. As was mentioned, Red Bull is his title sponsor now, I'd believe that they put more money into the program now than GM.

More manufacturers taking their cars to the track, whether it's drift / drag / time attack / etc, is going to be better for everyone in the long run. I'm excited that Hyundai has chosen drifting to showcase their new car.

Comment

eh I kinda see him continuing on with Pontiac, even building a G8. Hes been kicking *Censored**Censored**Censored* in the cars he has, I dont see the need to switch over again.

Comment

I dunno... Rhys has had lots of trouble in his Solstice. I think he woulda been better off staying in the GTO.

But it's too late now :P

Dai is kicking *Censored**Censored**Censored* with that thing.

Comment

Somewhat off topic:

Yesterday we told you about the first of many modified Hyundai Genesis Coupes to debut at this year's SEMA show. While the image we published was from Rhys Millen by way of Hyundai, graphic artist Jon Sibal is claiming part of it — specifically the front bumper — was yanked from one of his own design renderings of a hopped-up Lexus LF-A without permission. The LF-A design below the jump.
          http://jalopnik.com/399612/allegatio...-genesis-coupe
          Last edited by Rhoad Racing; 07-31-2008, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
            Well, that looks gross.
            would you expect anything else from RMR?!?!

Comment

An RMR guy "claims" to know nothing...
              Sounds like the cat is scratching it's way out of the bag doesn't it?

I can't see RMR including a purpose built Hyundai to the Bridgestone/RedBull Team (when they have 2 GM's on the track) .... but Who knows how the deal works.

If the Hyundai is at SEMA... will it be part of the annual SEMA drift?

Comment

Originally posted by Double M Star View Post
                An RMR guy "claims" to know nothing...
                Sounds like the cat is scratching it's way out of the bag doesn't it?

I can't see RMR including a purpose built Hyundai to the Bridgestone/RedBull Team (when they have 2 GM's on the track) .... but Who knows how the deal works.

If the Hyundai is at SEMA... will it be part of the annual SEMA drift?

I highly doubt it will be ready...

Just think about how long it took them to get the solstice on the track... debuted at sema iirc and wasn't on the track until USvsJP the following year....

I'm still waiting for calvins V8 Z....

Comment

This might clear some air on the car situation for RMR.

http://wreckedmagazine.com/blog/2008...fting-in-2009/

Should be interesting to see if RMR and Gardella Racing stick with GM or migrate to another package in 2009.

Comment

hmmm....

Rhys Millen is def out the kappa then, its this dudes job to drift for money.... hope they got a genesis already.

Gardella... I really don't know, have we forgotten japan built a bunch of cool original cars for years without any factory support (they still do).

The way gardella is going, I doubt they need much support from GM.... they got something good going, best they stick to it.

*wonders if mopar is next*

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
                      hmmm....

Rhys Millen is def out the kappa then, its this dudes job to drift for money.... hope they got a genesis already.

Gardella... I really don't know, have we forgotten japan built a bunch of cool original cars for years without any factory support (they still do).

The way gardella is going, I doubt they need much support from GM.... they got something good going, best they stick to it.

*wonders if mopar is next*
                      I knew about this which is why I was so confident about Rhys switching to Hyundai in my earlier posts.

Rhys has been talking with Hyundai ever since the car made its debut at the LA Auto Show because he knew that his Contract with GM would be done by the end of the 08 season.

As far as GM pulling out of drifting all together...that's news to me...I only knew of their terms with Rhys coming to an end but I guess it would make sense.

Hampshaa's situation I think will be different..I wouldn't be so sure that they'll lose their GM support.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeySlide View Post
                        Hampshaa's situation I think will be different..I wouldn't be so sure that they'll lose their GM support.
                        From what it sounds like, GM is cutting all of their sport compact motorsports funding... drag, drift, everything. Hampshaa may still be able to run the car, but if they break a part, they'll have to buy a new one.

There will still probably be some GM cars in the sport, as teams like Falken have gone out and bought their car and done everything without the help of GM Corporate. But for Gardella / RMR / CSI Racing, I don't see them driving the cars if they weren't handed to them with a chunk of change backing them. They've proven what they can provide to a manufacturer, and will be out finding the next highest bidder to give them the same program with a different badge on the grill.

Comment

http://www.wreckedmagazine.com/blog/

Comment

Genesis does.
                            Gotta get Genesis.

Originally posted by stedriftward View Post
                            That's still kinda high for a Topaz
                            That's my joke manpole. Eat a ditch.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeySlide View Post
                              I knew about this which is why I was so confident about Rhys switching to Hyundai in my earlier posts.

Rhys has been talking with Hyundai ever since the car made its debut at the LA Auto Show because he knew that his Contract with GM would be done by the end of the 08 season.

As far as GM pulling out of drifting all together...that's news to me...I only knew of their terms with Rhys coming to an end but I guess it would make sense.

Now that the cats kinda out the bag

I had some sort of idea he wasn't going to be driving the Hyundai just yet...

Like the blog said, they're are still rumors... not that big into just rumors, so I wont elaborate what I heard in the pits.

All I know is Rhys will be ready for battle come next year GM Bridgestone or not.
                              Last edited by Bebop; 08-15-2008, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by soultron View Post
                                Genesis does.
                                Gotta get Genesis.

That's my joke manpole. Eat a ditch.
                                Didn't know you had a patent on that joke.....Thought it was funny when I heard it......Sorry A S S F A C E !!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X