ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

project super-dori-wagon of doom...PICS! 90%done!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

your argument would be valid if the car had the stock alternator, however it does not.
    my argument is valid if the car had a stock alt AND if the car has an aftermarket alt.

look man, its a VERY SIMPLE concept.

it takes MECHANICAL ENERGY (engine rotating, which in turn rotates the ALT) to produce ELECTRICAL ENERGY which powers the fan.

i'm going to explain as straight forward and plainly as possible.

first: cooler air produces more power
    second: IC fans are used to cool the IC and the air inside of it.
    third: the IC fans require electrical energy
    forth: the electrical energy is produced by the alt
    fifth: the alt steals energy from the rotating engine
    sixth: the engine gets it rotational power from the air in which you are trying to cool.

now, the power that is taken from the engine and used to power the fans is MORE than the power produced by the change in temperature facilitated by the fans.

it is a fundamental violation of the rock solid laws of thermodynamics for you to produce an engine in which somehow it creates more energy than the sum of the energy put in to it (in this case, the energy is contained within many forms: air molecules, gasoline, electricity, mechanical energy). you can not just 'create' energy out of no where.

ditch the fans and just run a hood scoop. thats as close to 'free' energy as you'll get.

btw, the whole rest of your swap is *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*ing awesome, i was even telling my friend about it. I just get opinionated about some mods, especially when people are assuming that the laws of physics don't apply.

Comment

also, NM.

i forgot to take into consideration the Carnot Effeciency Equation.

(which, basically means that your system has the potential to work up to a given point)

also, it STILL doenst matter which ALT you are running. infact, everything i posted is still logically sound, its just that I was sorta treating it as closed system

also, you should read this

http://home.sc.rr.com/mikebennett/Ph...odynamics.html

=)

Comment

clay payton you are officialy a geek nerd.

Comment

Haha he pwned you!

PWN'd

Comment

^^Sorry I just had to say that

XD

Comment

oh my head hurts i thought chem class was tomarow
              haha
              dude your car f'n rocks thats crazy, what coilovers are you going to use sorry if you already said it.

Comment

i dont think anyone here was 'pwned' as you put it.

yes, i am a nerd.

also, the real test would be a dyno.

wire up a switch for the fans. put the car on the dyno. hold the trottle at a given RMP. get HP figures. while still holding the trottle RPM, hit the fan switch so the fans turn on, get HP figures.

this should be done with the hood closed and a large fan blowing towards the front. a stand still dyno run with still air would read false figures because in THAT situation the fans would actually move air which would otherwise not be moving (unless theres a hurrican in the dyno shop).

IF the fans were a benefit, wouldnt cars come with them from the factory?

also, the conversion of mechanical energy to electrical energy, and the ineffecient use of such energy is the PRIMARY reason that there is no such thing as a truely beneficial electronic supercharger. turbo and supercharges can only exist as mechanically driven chargers.

anyhow. i still think the fans are unneeded while driving, but good between runs to cool off the IC

Comment

Dont hate on nerds, they rule the world and make the most money. Bill Gates is living proof.

Comment

Originally posted by Weapon X
                    Dont hate on nerds, they rule the world and make the most money. Bill Gates is living proof.
                    bill gates dropped out of harvard :P

Comment

personally, i think the fans are a little overkill, however, the car is ballin' out the butthole. i mean, the fan rig is sweet, i just am a bit of a purist about everything. fans do require more electricity, and also, the more electrical components you add, the more chances you have of getting interference type issues.

also, in that genius guy's defense, everthing he said made perfect sense, and i can't say i can disagree with him. Also, get a laser minitemp and spot the intake mani right next to the cylinder head with the fans on and off.

we just installed a hondata heatshield (intake mani gasket) on our d16y7, with a cold air and skunk 2 intake mani the cylinder head stays about 157degress, the intake mani not a quarter of an inch away from it is 126. you should call hondata and have them make you a gasket, lol, then you can lose the fans and have really cold air.

Comment

well, i WILL remove the fans when I fit a hoodscoop. and also there isn't a heatshield on the turbo so alot of heatsoak is coming from it being so close to the intercooler core. I'm fabbing an aluminum one for it this week, hopefully.

Comment

you sir, are /337.

Comment

I think its sweet. I wish I could see it in action.

Comment

bhp??? dewd this is america we use HP...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Drifterlunchb0x
                                bhp??? dewd this is america we use HP...LOL
                                ...and I'm English, so piss off, you wanker.

Comment

Working...
                                X