ask me car related physics questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Craftsman
    I think that solid rotors actually stop better because you have more surface area than both. Surface area is the most important factor when it comes to brakes in my opinion.

I do know that drilled rotors are drilled to cool the rotors down quickly to prevent them from warping and being useless when hot...

Slotted rotors are done so to warm up the pads quickly from what I understand. I may be totally wrong on this one, but the friction and resistance that the brake pads com across when they go over the slots cause the pads to warm up faster to operating temperatures...

If I'm correct, F1 cars only have drilled brakes to help with cooling.
    I have done all my research on Brake Engineering. I know all the answer but I wanted to know coming from him.

-Al

Comment

Originally posted by .Al
      I have done all my research on Brake Engineering. I know all the answer but I wanted to know coming from him.

-Al
      The *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*er didn't even respond to this thread... I know you know Al. You know better than me.

The *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*tard who started this thread isn't answering *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* so I for some reason had to answer your question.. I dunno why...

Comment

From what i understood as you applied the brakes a gas formed between the pad and rotor itself, slotted/drilled gives a place for that gas to escape to instead of resisting the pad pushing against it

Comment

I do know that drilled rotors are drilled to cool the rotors down quickly to prevent them from warping and being useless when hot...
          Not true...

Slotted rotors are done so to warm up the pads quickly from what I understand. I may be totally wrong on this one, but the friction and resistance that the brake pads com across when they go over the slots cause the pads to warm up faster to operating temperatures...
          Not true...

If I'm correct, F1 cars only have drilled brakes to help with cooling.
          NO.
          F1 has been using carbon-carbon brakes for several years now.
          No holes, no slots.

Comment

Originally posted by f8ldzz
            Not true...

Not true...

NO.
            F1 has been using carbon-carbon brakes for several years now.
            No holes, no slots.
            Well, I feel dumb now, at least tell me what each one does...

Comment

Well number 1 is fairly true less more holes means less metal to get hot and more surface area for heat to ascape from, they do cool down better.

Comment

HAHAHAH JEEZE, for a couple days i would check on this thread and no one posted, I forgot about it and come back and it's all long.

lord have mercy.

Comment

regarding slip
                  (taken from another thread)

Well, there's a certain slip angle (the angle of the tire's path to the car's true path, in a very simple nutshell) range through which the tire operates at its peak. (6-10 degrees for most race and high-performance street tires, usually) Below that range, the tire is being under-used and is not delivering full grip. Above that range, the tire is being over-used and is not delivering full grip. We consider over-use to be a fully sliding condition. In truth, the fastest way around a track is in a very subtle four-wheel slide around every corner to utilize the tires to their fullest. If the front tires are at a higher slip angle than the rear, then the car is understeering; if the rear tires are at a higher slip angle, then the car is oversteering.

Thus, drifting/excessive oversteer is not usually faster than grip except in instances when understeer is severe. (Very tight turns, mostly) I use initial oversteer to rotate my car and get it pointed the right way, and to overcome understeer.

Comment

solve the one about the cat and the toast.

Comment

answer mine too plz...

quote:
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally posted by yarzan
                      ive got a question...

lets say there is a RWD car and a FWD car. same horsepower, engine, driver, same everything except that the drivetrain layout.... which will be quicker to 60? how bout the 1/4 mile?
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

the cat and toast one looks fun, give me a few days, im hecka busy

Comment

Well, I feel dumb now, at least tell me what each one does...
                          Sorry about the terse reply!

GRM did a good article on brakes a few years ago.
                          I still got this link handy...
                          http://www.mr2sc.com/websites/articl...riction_s.html

Enjoy!

Comment

i really want mine answered....i'm not kidding

Comment

lets say there is a RWD car and a FWD car. same horsepower, engine, driver, same everything except that the drivetrain layout.... which will be quicker to 60? how bout the 1/4 mile?
                              I would say the RWD car, because of weight transfer to the rear of the car when launching. It would give the rear tires more grip, and the front tires less grip. Therefore the RWD car would have more traction to take advantage of.

Comment

ummm about the 4wd and rwd thing i think the 4car would win.power to both front and rear tires come on "GOT TRACTION"??????? but then again if ur runing slicks and u heat them up it would be the same.well if u have 4wd and a rwd car that are the same in every way the rwd car would win in longer races and the fwd car would win short

RWD(less traction)(more top speed)
                                4WD(crazy traction)decrese in top speed do to drivetain)

if im wrong plz dont burn me

Comment

Working...
                                X