No announcement yet.

Should TRUCKS be allowed to drift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok, well, i havnt been around lately, so i just read this thread..
    my thing is... y not let a truck compete...
    i know ill never go pro.. but i have spent literally THOUSANDS of dollars on my truck, and i know i will spend THOUSANDS to come....
    it would be a real shame if ive spent all this money, and NOT be able to compete. Sure, for all the money, i could have bought a dif car... but i had already spent all this money on my truck, its all i have, want, and i have passions of drifting like any other drifter..
    eh what ever, i would just hate to not be able to compete, sure ill get my but kicked.. but its not just about winning.. its about growing as a driver for yourself, and just the fun of it...
    eh, its depressing thinking i would not be alowed in events...

Comment

• so is it a rule that says trucks can't drift?

I just thought no one had the balls to try

I think it would be good for the sport and those who are saying NO must not wont the sport of drifting to grow

Comment

• Originally posted by z28evans
        1. Should a truck be allowed to compete in drift events?
        2. Would a truck have a competitive advantage in drifting?
        3. Are there any reasons that you can see that should keep trucks from competing?
        1. yes
        2. no
        3. no, there are none.

on a side note. since i do not know what mods are allowed to compete in FD and from my understanding, S10s have recuirculating ball power steer. you would probably want to switch it out to rack and pinion. if not, the tacoma would be a better choice since it already comes with it. also, you would have to do something about the steering angle. i dont know the exact numbers but the tacoma doesnt have much. the tacoma aslo provides a better 4 cylinder then what would come in the S10 and can be turbo charged pretty heavely with out bottom end work. yeah you could dump a v8 into the S10 but that may throw off weight distribution even more. and last thing is weight savings and distribution. instead of adding more weight to the rear to balance it out. just put on a new CF hood (they are out there for the tacoma, maybe even the S10), move the battery to the rear, and if you can afford it, have the front bumper and fenders coppied in either FRP or CF and throw the inner fenders away (this will also help with tire clearence once its lowered) since no struts mount to them unlike almost ever other car that is drifting. i would also suggest moving the motor back but i do not know if that is legal in FD either.

Comment

• i have been thinking about dropping a vg30dett into an early 90's model nissan truck. i think a 400+ hp compact truck would be entertaining to watch from a fans perspective, and also fun to drive and challengeing to master . of course im from texas so... im a little partial to trucks. a truck would be unique in a sea of 240's and hachi roku's . it would be quite a task to get the chasis up to drift standards but not impossible. at the falken drift show off here in houston a friggin ratty old el camino won the amatuer competition.....an auto shifted ratty old elcamino with a country boy in wrangler jeans at the wheel. definately not a norm amongst drifters . yamamoto and koguchi thought it was impressive. why narrow your spectrum to just compact trucks though? i've drifted my brothers '72 full size chevy big block v8 and all . now it wasnt like i was going 70+ mph with crazy slip angles but with practice... who knows.

Comment

• Originally posted by charliesan
            i have been thinking about dropping a vg30dett into an early 90's model nissan truck. i think a 400+ hp compact truck would be entertaining to watch from a fans perspective, and also fun to drive and challengeing to master . of course im from texas so... im a little partial to trucks. a truck would be unique in a sea of 240's and hachi roku's . it would be quite a task to get the chasis up to drift standards but not impossible. at the falken drift show off here in houston a friggin ratty old el camino won the amatuer competition.....an auto shifted ratty old elcamino with a country boy in wrangler jeans at the wheel. definately not a norm amongst drifters . yamamoto and koguchi thought it was impressive. why narrow your spectrum to just compact trucks though? i've drifted my brothers '72 full size chevy big block v8 and all . now it wasnt like i was going 70+ mph with crazy slip angles but with practice... who knows.
            Hey, I've heard crazy stories about that legendary country boy in wrangler jeans....rumor is, he's a freaking maniac that loves burnouts. lol..... thanks for being open minded!

Comment

• Originally posted by charliesan
              i have been thinking about dropping a vg30dett into an early 90's model nissan truck. i think a 400+ hp compact truck would be entertaining to watch from a fans perspective, and also fun to drive and challengeing to master . of course im from texas so... im a little partial to trucks. a truck would be unique in a sea of 240's and hachi roku's . it would be quite a task to get the chasis up to drift standards but not impossible. at the falken drift show off here in houston a friggin ratty old el camino won the amatuer competition.....an auto shifted ratty old elcamino with a country boy in wrangler jeans at the wheel. definately not a norm amongst drifters . yamamoto and koguchi thought it was impressive. why narrow your spectrum to just compact trucks though? i've drifted my brothers '72 full size chevy big block v8 and all . now it wasnt like i was going 70+ mph with crazy slip angles but with practice... who knows.
              The El Camino owner/team is on this forum. Forum ID: drz

Comment

• just found a video of a trcuk drifting (diesel) sure its not a pickup truck like your thinking but its pretty darn funny
                drifting truck

Comment

• i wouldnt call derrick a "country boy" but he does wear wranglers

Comment

• if it means anything, i drift my truck in the snow up here in Canada.

We actually get a winter

Comment

• Trucks should be allowed in all kind of drift events just to get a wider spectrum of cars, aka making more ppl come to see their fav car!

I have always loved drifting, ever since i got my licence back in '88, and since i live in Norway we got 6months of snow/ice to play with..

Comment

• Originally posted by walperstyle
                        if it means anything
                        no, it doesnt

Comment

• posted before i read all the text

i would have been a little more selective with my "ratty old el camino " description had i realized the driver was a member of this forum... sorry about that. been thinking about this thread all week . the people across the street from me own an older nissan truck... i need phototshop bad ,im convinced this vehickle could be competitive. i was reading through an older sport compact car issue disscussing 240sx power options... ka power , sr power or rb power ... the point they made was the rb motor is heavier but alot of the wieght is the beefy mission. this could help adress the wieght distribution issues while providing enough power to drift well. although the only issue here is the availability of parts for the rb in the u.s. market. sr power plants are always a good option , especially if you are fortunate enough to get an s15 set up . i want that damn 6 speed . sorry . but alas im like the vg motor it has a very very good aftermarket support base here in the u.s. anybody that has watched "trucks" ( shuddering as i admit to watching this) on spike tv has seen multi-link rear suspension with coilover under a truck. if you do what most race teams do and build to the very limit of modification allowed by what ever rule book I think its doable. asthetically chopping the roof down a couple inches would be nice. also though a tacoma with a 7mg motor would be possible. sorry so long a post.

charlie

Comment

• i would have been a little more selective with my "ratty old el camino " description had i realized the driver was a member of this forum
                            Sounds pretty acurate, and it's my camino You should have seen it when we first started drifting it

james
                            www.BubbaDrift.com

Comment

• if they can do it, more power to them. i doubt a truck will really ever be able to be built well enough and within a reasonable budget to be competitive with the cars.

Comment

• I voted NO on this, but it's only a halfhearted NO

It's not that i'm anti-trucks, per se

but i'm anti frame-chassis vehicles.

I think unibody vehicles should be allowed to compete and that's it.
                                the basis of this is that if you are running a frame vehicle, you can pretty much strip everything off of it, and use a full fiber body and set your corner weights where ever you like, and in this aspect i think it's unfair, just as i feel that full tube frame cars are unfair, i believe in maintaining the streetable aspects of vehicles. i also feel that there should be a max weight limit as well for tandom events, btw, so that would exlude larger vehicles.

if a 1700lb cororally gets hit by a 2.5 tons truck or muscle car, it's going to be more dangerous than two lightweight vehicles crashing into each other.

btw, i apply this same logic to the real world. I think that road driven vehicles should have max weight, and it they pass that weight limit, they should legally be required to drive slower (thus reducing the total kenetic energy in the event of a car accident).

if trucks want to compete, they should have their own class, in fairness to the trucks, the unibody cars, and the drivers of both vehicles.

Comment

Working...
                                X