ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Domestic drift cars all hype or do they have a future.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey why is it so bad to agree with me?

Comment

not suprised

I think its great that the GTO and Viper are in D1. This doesnt suprise me though, I mean honestly they are bad *Censored**Censored**Censored* V-8 and V-10 powered vehicles with the torque to spin the tires throughout their powerband. I mean we have been drifting american cars for generations its just been so common place that we never thought to make a sport out of it... It would be like making a sport out of breathing or blinking. Hell my first car was a 1977 Caprice Classic, it was a beater with no windows and no back seat (the guy that owned it before broke the back window out to put his tools and latter through, it was his work car.). The suspention was shot in the front end, but it had a 350 and I had rubber so I put that car in all kinds of crazy slides, and never got in an accident with it either. Boy was that car fun on the dirt. Since it was in such bad shape, and I got if for free I didnt care about recking it. My only hang up was that it didnt have seat belts LOL, my friends hatted to ride with me for fear of their lives, and/or didnt wanna be seen in the ugly thing. In my opinion the sport with be dominated by Domestics in a matter of time depending on how popular the sport gets. America with make it so. But this is my opinion you dont have to take it to heart, and I am sorry if I offended anyone. I also expect to hear some foul words so dont be shy.

Lucidstrife

Comment

i'll probably get flamed for opening my mouth, but i personally have always disliked domestics. I think that excess is for pimpin' and efficiency, for drifting, or any spirited driving. I think that america is too hardcore about doing things wrong and laughing about it. in japan people drift s13's and ae86's because they work well. in america it's more of a "dude, your grand cherokee is rear wheel drive, right?" not that japan can't be the same way, with it's abundance of chasers and what not, but atleast it has some roots and some basis with which to build on. They got it right, then they started messing around with crazy stuff, which i like. I think jumping head first into drifting with a 500hp viper (don't quote me, i could care how much power it makes) is a little ridiculous. drifting is a very artistic form of driving, it is not timed, nor is it important to finish first, it is merely an art. i think the grace of a ton or less of ae86 is much more impressive than watching a viper tear holes in the pavement. i could be wrong, and will admit that my opinion is very biased and at times rather ridiculous. however, i think drifting should and chances are will remain a jdm sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Parry
          302 powered camaros lay miles of rubber...they defininately have the sack to spin them up.
          Arg, everybody does that. 302's are the ford 5.0s, 305s are the GMs (Although theyre trash, my firebird had one. If you're getting a GM that was in the generation using the 305s, get a 350 TPI. Theyre sweet engines)

As for the Pork_poney fellow... This isnt a flame, I promise, but. Why should drifting remain a JDM sport? Because that's where it came from? Come on now, drag racing, a sport from which the whole import scene was spawned (Do correct me if I'm wrong) started as a domestic thing. If things remained where they were, they wouldnt be half as fun. Now if I had to give up my domestic roots in order to drift, i'd drop V8s like a bad habit, (Well, maybe differently since I still have a lot of bad habits) I'd be trying to get an s12 (Yeah, s12, I LIKE s12s. Nothing wrong with em) insured right now.

Okay (Im) Using (to many) perenthesis (which is a sure sign) It's time to head to (bed) and therefore dont make much sense

Good night.. morning... screw it

Comment

Only the future can tell.

This is definatly going to change things. The world of competative racing has had to make room for the new guys many times, like in drag racing. Its ok for import racers to step into the mix of drag racing, because its a rebellious act and maybe a little outside of the box. They came into the Drag world and at first were laughted at and then were basically excepted. Then the drifting culture comes to America, and then the domestic side wants to compete(like the imports in Drag racing) with vehicles that are rebellious and maybe a little outside of the box. We will see how this grows, and we expect to be laughted at. There will always be the import guys trying to protect there heritage just like the domestic guys with their drag racing. This sport isnt governed by displacement, or forced induction, its governed by style. The domestics are bound to have a different style, so I believe this is going to make something beautiful.

Lucidstrife

Comment

Originally posted by FiveLiterBeater
              Arg, everybody does that. 302's are the ford 5.0s, 305s are the GMs (Although theyre trash, my firebird had one. If you're getting a GM that was in the generation using the 305s, get a 350 TPI. Theyre sweet engines)
              Goddamn it, I knew that too. I'm a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*, lol.

Comment

yeah those 350 sure are sweet made my 305 feel like crap

Comment

just out of high school in the 90's my friend had a trans am i had a 89 camaro convertible and i thought my car was quik until i drove his. wow what a difference. but at least i still have my camaro and my FC.....
                  wait no he has a lightning. so i guess he is still one upping me..bastard

Comment

personally, i predict the Pontiac Solstise is gonna be pretty big in drifting. an affordable rwd car that i have nicknamed the "parts bin special", that is set to cost under $20000. starting with the 2.2-liter DOHC supercharged ecotec four-cylinder engine rated at 240 horsepower, (supercharger is out of the gm performance catalogue) next, a Borg-Warner performance six-speed manual transmission, the same one used in the Corvette. The chassis contains many aluminium parts, and the front end uses a rack-and-pinion steering system out of the Subaru WRX. the rear end is right out of GM's midsize suv range, and is held in with an all - aluminum independent rear suspension.

sounds too good to be true? then it probably is. most likely the base model will have a cheaper engine (Pleaseeee no ohv v6!!!!!!) a 5 speed and cheaper suspension.

Comment

i'm crusin in a 93 5.0 that i'm driftin with other that the *Censored**Censored**Censored* end being tooo light its not a bad car to drift with i find it fun and keeps up with the jap. cars. except that my stang doesnt look like an ordanry 5.0 if ya want to see pics email me n let me know

wickedclownz6889@aol.com

Comment

What makes drifting great isn't the make of car but the comradery between the drifters. Here on drifting.com I've made friends with drivers of Chevy's, Nissans and RX7's, and I drive a V8 TBIRD. We've even got 1 or 2 pro drivers (mad props to Pfeifer :P) on the board, and everybody gets along great for the most part. When it comes down to it drifting is all about the fun of it as opposed to what kind of car you're driving.

What makes drifting great is that a little Hachiroku can compete with that big 500hp Viper. If you've got the skills you'll be fast no matter what you're driving.

Btw domesticdrifter you can post pics of you're ride here on the Vid Clips/Pics section of the message board. Watch out for that snap oversteer and if you've got any 'Stang questions just lemme know.

Comment

As for the Pork_poney fellow... This isnt a flame, I promise, but. Why should drifting remain a JDM sport? Because that's where it came from? Come on now, drag racing, a sport from which the whole import scene was spawned (Do correct me if I'm wrong) started as a domestic thing. If things remained where they were, they wouldnt be half as fun. Now if I had to give up my domestic roots in order to drift, i'd drop V8s like a bad habit, (Well, maybe differently since I still have a lot of bad habits) I'd be trying to get an s12 (Yeah, s12, I LIKE s12s. Nothing wrong with em) insured right now.

I can't disagree, and i appreciate the response. I don't mean it should remain jdm as in it should stay in japan. I mean it should stick to it's roots. I have fear of it becoming too heavily american and one day waking up to "ultra super drift destroyers" on comedy central. I like drag racing, and i like what it has become. the way i see it is: america sort of made drag racing what it is, the japanese made it better by bringing some different elements to the table. I believe that if the americans can approach drifting with the same attitude and take it in the same direction, than by all means, i would love to see america become heavily involved. I've yet decide yet though whether or not it would benefit the little guy. I want a 240 and i really like high quality jdm parts. I'm very impressed by names like top secret and jun and the like. I am forced to wonder what effect america's involvement would have on it, and i see it going one of two, or possibly both ways. Either one day i'm going to be able to go to my local shop and score a top secret turbo upgrade and jun surge tank for my future 240 for reasonable prices. OR, i'm gonna go to my local shop and be swarmed with the parts from the "APC Drift Series, designed by.... eh, who cares.... David lee roth" Incase you couldn't tell, i'd rather avoid the latter. I'd be interested in hearing what some of the rest of you think about where the market for such a sport will head with america's involvement.

Comment

Originally posted by pork_poney
                            i really like high quality jdm parts. I'm very impressed by names like top secret and jun and the like.
                            hmm whats wrong with "hooker drift headers"

Comment

there wouldn't nessicarily be anything wrong with "hooker drift headers". the point i was trying to make is; i wouldn't want a bunch of manufacturers, not really knowing what theyre doing, trying to produce "drift spec" equipment. Tein released the HE series of coilovers for drifting, and that's cool, tein is a respectable suspension manufacturer. as far as hooker, i'm pretty sure they've been around a while, and that'd be great. I just don't want parts being made to satisfy the needs of those looking to dance with the newest fad.

Comment

Change can be good

I believe that the American performance parts manufacturers getting in on the mix will boost the sport, and help it to become more cost friendly. Sure JDM parts are extremely nice, but they are also extremely expensive for the average enthusiest. Its not like the American parts manutfacturers dont know there butts from a hole in the ground. They can make very high quality parts and some of them are moving their product lines more and more into the import world as we speak. Look at Edelbrock they make some good parts for domestic and import. The worst case would be that all the top of the line best performance parts that only the professionals need will have to be JDM, but for all the rest of us we will get good quality parts for cheaper. Then we can build our skills cheaper and move up as we get better. This is just my opinion and I would love for someone to try to change my mind.

Lucidstrife

Comment

Working...
                                X