Mr2 Spyder, Good For Drifting???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr2 Spyder, Good For Drifting???

I recently purchased a 2002 mr2 spyder. Im just curious to know just how good or bad this car is for drifting? Any and all opinions welcome.

HERE ARE SOME SPECS OF THE CAR:

Engine
    1.8 liter, 4-cylinder, Twin-cam, 16 valve
    Variable Valve Timing w/intelligence (VVT-i)
    Horsepower: 138@6400 (bhp@rpm)
    Torque: 125@4400 (lb-ft@rpm)
    Weight: 2100 lbs.
    Power-to-weight Ratio: 16.0:1

Drivetrain
    Mid-engine, rear-wheel drive
    Type: 5-speed manual overdrive

Due to its midengine lay out, short wheel base and relative age it is not drifted very much.

However theres no reason not to drift one if you have one. Get your self a roll cage or something and go out there. and give it some time.

Comment

It's a super-light.

With some suspension setup and a good amount of seat time it's pretty good. The car is an all around excellent performer.

However, in stock trim you will have snap/breakaway oversteer and just spin right around...

-MR

Comment

ya with the MR layout there is a lot of weight in the rear so drifting will be much different than in an FR since u will oversteer much easier and it will be more touchy. watch the drift bible section on the mr2 and itll simplify it all

Comment

The spyder rocks in touge, but I haven't seen many drifting.

Comment

MRS is a great car if youre planning to do some work on it i suggest swapping the engine to a celica GTS engine. and yes it rocks the touge. MR platform is great for grip so it naturally owns the touge. but with proper suspension work it can be worked around to drift just like its older brother the SW20.

Comment

Originally posted by scirocco
              ya with the MR layout there is a lot of weight in the rear so drifting will be much different than in an FR since u will oversteer much easier and it will be more touchy. watch the drift bible section on the mr2 and itll simplify it all
              Weight balance is the same as a lot of FR's (I believe very close to 50/50) but the lower polar inertia can cause it to spin quickly.

Not much room to carry a change of tires to events though, unless you stack them in the passenger seat.

-MR

Comment

These cars aren't best for drifting but OMFG are they fast in canyons/general cornering. I'd love to get one, but a little out of my price range, and I'd like to stay F/R.

Comment

mr2 is in the running for my next car. However that doesn't mean much. As soon as I get a car, I start thinking about the next one

Comment

not the best for new comers.

Comment

brothaman, If your not deleted yet, I wish to give you some advice, I have yet to see a post or reply from you with more then one line... so if i was you, id start taking time to write a little bit more and making more postive contributions to the community...or the admin probly will delete you... just trying to look out...

MRS is a great car, but very expensive and somewhat weak... I dont know much specs or how it handles though I've seen it in videos...and It looks good...

Comment

Aquarius... modify it for touge; that's what they're best suited for. Give up on drifting it for now, at least until you have some seat time in it. Get a feel for its nuances, because it happens to have both a mid-engine layout and a short wheelbase... so it has plenty of nuances. The extremely low polar moment of inertia results in almost telepathic steering response, but that can be a double-edged sword, resulting in a much harder car to recover from a slide. Get a feel for it in a safe area, because if you push it, I can almost guarantee a spin.

Comment

great responses everyone, I truely appreciate it, thanks for all of your knoledge.

Comment

Working...
                          X