No announcement yet.

Ask RYAN HAMPTON Something!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

was your car ok at the drivers search last weekend, seemed to be short on power? was standing next to your mom at the time and talked to her for a while. Shes pretty cool, take it shes very supportive of you in racing?

Comment

Case,
      I don't know if I am in any threatening position to mount an effort to go JGTC.. So there is still hope! I am trying to make it out to at least one of the Vegas events this year, Looks like it is a lot of fun! Mazda does want me to bring my FC out to seven stock, since it is a tenth an. model. And I sprreciate the offer for help! Everyone like I said before has been a huge help in drifting, and you guys don;t know how much I appreciate it!

Matt,
      You should ask Colleen out, you never know! It happened to me!
      You ask how does he get factory sponsorship, well first, he has a name and has been successful in racing, it would make perfect sense. GM has used that GTO Drift car as a marketing tool, and it has been very effective! it has the perfect Hot Rod image, tire burning fury! Kind of on a different topic, I had just heard of a marketing discussion involving a factory. The marketing person said we sell cars that handle good, why would we want to show our cars going sideways? They don't get it, A car going sideways with smoke bellowing off the tires is sexy!! thats why, it gets peoples heart racing, "wow, my car has so much power I almost can't control it kind of thing!" Oh well not everyone sees the big picture...

Factory thing, I don't know yet...Hoping, nothing promising though..

hatebbobbarker,
      Please remember to spay or neuter your pets...
      YOu met my mOm? Oh no, hopefully she did not bore you! She is an awsome lady, she is supportive, but hates to watch! I have been very fortunate to have very good parents...They are both really cool people...Thank you for taking the time out to talk to her, I really do appreciate that! You got to talk to her more than I did..I said hello and that was it...I feel bad, because I haven't seen her in a while.. but I was having car issues and running around trying to solve the problem, so yes to answer your question we were way down on power. Haven't quite figured out what the problem was yet. but thanks again for keeping my mom entertained for a while!

Yes I love rotaries! I fell in love with them once I started racing them!!
      Last edited by RyanHampton; 08-18-2004, 09:22 PM.
      Ryan Hampton

Baller Bolts Titanium Hardware

Comment

my parents are pretty good, i know my dad will kick in for tires if i go to a competition ever but i just got the new car and i wont be able to work on it till summers out.
        and no your mom didnt bore me, actually provided a break from watching my good friend hang all over my ex gf.

who is tuning your car, thats always been the source of good and bad things with the turbo IIs.
        what kind of works been done to it as of yet, i can TRY and diagnose it, ive got a small amount of experience with them.

rotaries rule btw. i wish the rx8 was more of a competitor, i would have bought one instead of my Z in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanHampton
          Case,
          I don't know if I am in any threatening position to mount an effort to go JGTC.. So there is still hope! I am trying to make it out to at least one of the Vegas events this year, Looks like it is a lot of fun! Mazda does want me to bring my FC out to seven stock, since it is a tenth an. model. And I sprreciate the offer for help! Everyone like I said before has been a huge help in drifting, and you guys don;t know how much I appreciate it!

Hahah! Well, if you don't pose a threat to JGTC, then I'm completely screwed. I've got no "real" race experience. I've actually only driven on a racetrack once, and that was just recently at the justDrift Buttonwillow event. Unfortunately, it wasn't in an FC.. my friend and I were supposed to run his while mine is down, and 50 miles out of town, his transmission thrashed itself. Apparently, when he filled his tranny with Redline, it only took about a quart... so we just assumed it hadn't been fully drained by the previous owner (we'd just picked up the tranny two days before the event, gotta love last minute fixes with FCs). Unfortunately, it hadn't. Either way, I went on with some friends that drive AE86's, and I had never had more fun than when I was tossing my buddy's car around on the track. Oh, and my friend did make it home safely, it was still somewhat driveable. We're now picking up another transmission tomorrow night, installing it Friday afternoon, and leaving Friday night for California. I think this is the third transmission on his car in the past month and a half (the first lasted for about two months, was owned by a VERY bad driver previously, but it was a GTU tranny, so we hoped it would be alright). I hope to see you at SevenStock next month, gotta love the 10th AE's.. only 100 made in the states? I'll probably write more when I get home... Just being lazy at the end of the work day.

Comment

Wow. I got my post deleted..

Yea, I think factory cars would totally rock... I would like to see someone in a 'Vette or a Cadilac CTS-V... I would really like to see the CTS-V in action...

How about a 'Stang? They're pretty nice too for this stuff... Anyways...

Ryan, I'll only ask her out just for you, but you gotta go with me so I look like a somebody... You better be wearing your Drift Alliance shirt or something.

Matt.
            Last edited by Craftsman; 08-19-2004, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Ah yes, home sweet home. Anyways, if you're interested in checking out the schedule for the Vegas events, the main page is http://www.nadrift.com - I've been running in stock class (since my car was mostly stock). There's also a results page (Tommy Suell is a friend from Okinawa, Mike Bolanos is a local Vegas friend who's got a KILLER carb'd hachi, and my name is William Long), which you can see we've had a few Formula D drivers come to, as well as Steph Papadikas (the pro drag driver). Either way, I look forward to meeting you at sometime in the future, you seem like a really cool guy. Best of luck to you!

Comment

Hey Ryan, any word of advice for finding financial backers for a Formula D drift car? Me and the Grip video guys have been banging our heads for several months trying to secure funds for the red FD3S that Ross Petty drives. 3 Tranny's...in 4 events is not cheap to keep up with. Neither are transportation, team travels, and blah blah blah.
                Btw, if you need help with the Haltech tuning, i'll talk to my teammates, our FD is running Haltech. PM me.

Ray

Comment

yeah you are right about injury's and yes dirtbikers do have alot of hot chicks... lol but it really depends on how good and how old you are most of the chicks are there in the back of some 50,000 dollar truck lol... yeah i need some help on this karting thing

Comment

Who is Ryan Hampton?

Comment

Originally posted by NiteKids
                      Who is Ryan Hampton?
                      The only drifter to ever lead an Indycar race flag to flag...

Comment

lol good way to put it...

Comment

white turbo FC last saturday at drivers search if you want something more tangible...

Comment

He's badass... He's IRL level driver... He could be in CART or F1. He just doesn't have the sponsership... If he did, he'd be there now...

He's a teacher at Bondurant. So don't doubt his driving abilities. Listen carefully to what he says also because he'll subtlely give a little driving hints

Matt.

Comment

Ryan,

I was there at 2003 D1GP Drivers Search and when I saw the Crown Victoria pulling up, I was like...

"What in the hell...?"

I kinda doubted the car at first because I haven't really seen a CV drift or even past the 65 mph speedlimit here in California, or if I did, on the news with all our L.A car pursuits.

Once you pulled onto the track and started doing runs, I became a complete fan of that Crown Victoria. Sucks that it had some suspension problems, hence the wicked bouncing of the rear tires whenever you got sideways.

But anyways, is there any chance of you bringing that sexy American beast of a car back onto the drift events?
                              Last edited by CounterLock; 08-20-2004, 11:55 AM.

Comment

I've been gone for the last couple of days so I haven't had a chance to respond to any posts...

Craftsman,
                                I will go with you to ask her out, but I don't know if I have that kind of power... But I will give it one hell of a shot! Yeah since Cadillac has the World challenge car, why not have a drift car too. I hear GM is trying to change the image of Cadillac.. trying to go after the mid 30's market. So thats why they have recently been doing a lot of the racing stuff...

Hatebob,
                                I'm not sure what happened at the drivers search, but it was down on power. We did a compression check and everything was fine, all points of the rotors same compression. I think it has something to do with the management, or the injectors. I also had all the smog stuff still on except for cats.

Also guys thanks for the compliments, the best way to describe me , is I'm just some other guy who puts his pant legs on one at a time, unless I'm in a hurry.

Counter lock,
                                Yeah that was a frustrating weekend...
                                That particular Crown Vic was not normal, but a very good drift car. I probably will never have that car again, and neither will James Bondurant, its a long story I care not get into.....

Later guys , and thanks for the response....
                                Ryan Hampton

Baller Bolts Titanium Hardware

Comment

Working...
                                X