Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We all knew this was going to happen. And the Formula D was the perfect median for this evil...Lets just concentrate on the actual drifting at the event and ignore the rice stands/tents and those chubby beat looking wannabe models that claim themselves to be "hot".

Comment

Originally posted by Xantos
      i decided this was important to contact them about here is the e-mail i have written, it has not been sent yet so please correct any mistakes I have made and add what you think should be in it.

I am not sure if this is the correct person to contact, so if you wouldn't mind please forward this to who it needs to be read by.

Look at your recent ad's for Formula D at Irwindale, when did drifting become an import showoff? Drifting is strictly about cars drifting, thats it! There is no reason why Ryan Dunn ( a crazy law breaker, watch just one CKY ) should be there, same with Bucky Lasek, he is a skateborder not a race car driver. I know sex sells but seriously there is no reason why I should see a woman in see-through underwear on the advertisement for a CAR EVENT. Also, like I said earlier, drifting is about cars that can perform, not trailer queens that go from one show to the other, so you need to get rid of the 300 show cars, especially the celeberity, movie, and VIP cars; REAL drifters only want to see REAL drift cars, no show cars with no wear on the tires and no dents and dings on the body. In conclusion, I just want to say this is the wrong way for drifting to go, take a hint from D1 in Japan, they are more succesful yet not near as "showy". And do not believe I am the only person that thinks this way check out this thread ( http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...0918#post90918 ) at drifting.com ( the number one "hangout" for REAL drifters )
      If your going to e-mail them,then your going to have to take a completely different angle.But like I said before,when you bring up issues regarding Formula D,you never get a response from them.Out of touch with their audience? You tell me.Apparently they don't think so.How can they? They are the audience .

Comment

Its hard to say what will be come of "drifting" in America...

My opinion is that FormulaD presents their ads to attract spectators who have no idea about the sport, and i think its a shame that they copy other styles of the import culture, Slipstream is a company owned by 1/2 of Matt and Ben... aka Mr. Lopez and his butt-buddy. Yeah they have alot of money to toss around and i highly doubt that either of them have any idea about the sport at all or how much many of us enjoy it. To them its just another idea to scheme money and become even more rich.

Its a shame to be represented by people like that, but on the plus side atleast someone is willing to shell out money to do so.

If not for the Ace and Gary of the movie screen, many of the drivers that we respect would not have a job, and the parts we love for our cars would not exist.

We can think of all the negatives and i'm willing to be we can come up with more than we can find positives, but we still should be atleast a little bit grateful that it exists at all.
        When i first found out that slipstream was sponsoring the events i was very dissapointed.

At the same time i was excited that our American drivers would finally get the chance to show their skills to the rest of society.
        Even tho from the start they have been use as slaves to the industry. Getting used for the media corporation's personal gain, is no way for anyone to show their true skill.

Even tho it pains me to say it, "Drifting" is the novelty of the racing scene, Its more of an X Games sport than it is a motorsport. When people race they compete against each other to be the fastest, most efficient driver.

In drifting, we compete for judged scores, just like the olympics.

I hate downing something i have so much respect for but it happens because after all the hype it all comes down to brass tacks.

Honestly i hope that this "so called fad" burns out and we are free to enjoy ourselves. Because all of us who truly enjoy sliding sideways at 80mph will never lose that feeling.

It doesn't matter what they say, or how much they try to take advantage, many of us are too stubborn to believe it and move on.

A buddy of mine told me "Man, I'm getting burned out on all this 'drifting'. They keep making a mockery of something that we held dear, Its a joke what they are doing to it and i refuse to be a part of it until all the rest of this dies down. Its like asking someone why they like 50cent or Eminem and they tell u.

"Because, __________"

It doesn't matter their reason because we all know that the only reason they like them is because the media has bombarded them and brainwashed them into likeing "popular music".

Take for instance the car commercials since 'drifting' has gotten its media exposure. Hell, taco bell shows a taxi cab sliding around corners to show how its casida is less messy than a sub.
        How many car commercials have spot lighted a car looking good sliding around a corner? Damn, its all over the place in the last few months.

In conclusion, I agree that FormulaD has been exposed the wrong way, I can understand why they do it because they are greedy, but i still think they are making a joke of something that we respect.

Its hard to watch something u love go wrong, when their is nothing u can do about it.

But I'll be the same way after the smoke clears.

Who's with me?

P.S.

Skateboarders in drifting are about as normal as sumo wrestlers in ballet. WTF is FormulaD doing??? Who writes these ads??
        Obviously some of these people need to get their head out of their asses...
        Last edited by OH240SE; 08-09-2004, 09:55 PM.

Comment

To be blunt, Ignore the rice stands and concentrate on the drifting...

Comment

Originally posted by Topics II
            I really dont see the problem with creating the biggest event to ever happen in America. Formula D Round 4 is going to blow peoples minds. Even people who dont like, havent heard of, or havent seen drifting. The Hot Import Nights bring in twice the croud of the biggest drift events. Now combine that with the season finale of the biggest and only American drift championship. And you will have one hell of a show. And lil things like bringing in professional skateboarders (who just got gold in the x games) and comical characters justs helps keep the crowd excited.
            I hear your point of view, but dont understand the necessity of large groups of people. I could see how large groups of consumers will benefit sellers and event organizers through admission costs, but I dont see how drifting will benefit, I see it just perpetuating into more and more of a carshow/drifting event, like as stated above, some circus to make money. Drifting itself needs to be the main attraction. Drifting like everyone said doesnt need the glitz and glam, we need good and REAL events. Not just some exhibition.

If you dont like show cars, who cares. Dont go look at them, and just wonder around the drift pits instead.
            I dont want to spend money to see something, that I dont want to see. Come on man I wanna see drifting, i wanna see you guys working hard and driving hard at an event worth while, an event that means something, i want to see my self driving in the same event. I dont want to see or waste more money for the efforts of the show scene. Its not appealing to myself, I just want driving.
            Last edited by P1STON2ROTARY; 08-09-2004, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thai Juku
              To be blunt, Ignore the rice stands and concentrate on the drifting...
              By doing so,your supporting the rice and basicly telling them that's what you want.Your money is your money.Think about where it's going to go next time.It doesn't just support drifting.If you take into consideration everything that is at the event,less than 15% of your money will even go towards drifting.That figure is probably below 10%.

This is what companys hate to hear,but actually be responsible with your money,think about what your buying into,what your supporting,and where your money is going.Of course they just want you to go and spend away,then tell all of your friends so more people will spend away.Then they can get even more celebs,wider media coverage,just so they can do it all over again only 3X "bigger".

Comment

you all make some very valid points. Your concerns are genuine, but your also voicing your opinions on the biggest comercialized site on the web.

You cant have your cake and eat it to. Look at all the stickies and stuff for sale here.

There show is no different that posting here.

Flame suit on.............Check
                well let er rip

Comment

Even people who dont like, havent heard of, or havent seen drifting. The Hot Import Nights bring in twice the croud of the biggest drift events.
                  That's all fine and dandy...why should we care if it brings people in who are only coming 'cause they know what HIN is?

And lil things like bringing in professional skateboarders (who just got gold in the x games) and comical characters justs helps keep the crowd excited.
                  No thanks, it's the sound of the cars sliding that keeps me excited, why should those two idiots be there?

It's unnecessary cr@p. They're trying to mix everything that's "cool" into one package. It's a bull$hit marketing ploy, those clowns have NO place in drifting.
                  Last edited by Weapon X; 08-09-2004, 10:08 PM.

Comment

I'm just waiting to see what the actual FormulaD drivers, with their "Need4Speed Underground" stickers have to say.

Those are the opinions that we should have in this thread...

The rest of us are just basically clucking like sharon osbourne, montel, and opra so far.... (no offense lol)

Comment

Honestly,they can't say much in the open.Think about it,why do you think Chris was so quick with that response? Read over it.Try and tell me that his sponsors didn't contact him in anyway/have influence in that response.It's hard to deny it.That's like pissing in my ear and telling me it's raining.We know it's not.

Comment

Originally posted by OH240SE
                        I'm just waiting to see what the actual FormulaD drivers, with their "Need4Speed Underground" stickers have to say.

Those are the opinions that we should have in this thread...

The rest of us are just basically clucking like sharon osbourne, montel, and opra so far.... (no offense lol)

yeah right, they're really gonna come on this forum and bash formula d.

Comment

Originally posted by Feint
                          By doing so,your supporting the rice and basicly telling them that's what you want.Your money is your money.Think about where it's going to go next time.It doesn't just support drifting.If you take into consideration everything that is at the event,less than 15% of your money will even go towards drifting.That figure is probably below 10%.

This is what companys hate to hear,but actually be responsible with your money,think about what your buying into,what your supporting,and where your money is going.Of course they just want you to go and spend away,then tell all of your friends so more people will spend away.Then they can get even more celebs,wider media coverage,just so they can do it all over again only 3X "bigger".
                          Fine...I won't go to those events if my money is spent like that. I don't know if D1 is rice free, but it's the closest as it gets. So D1 all the way for me...

Comment

Originally posted by LAPD
                            you all make some very valid points. Your concerns are genuine, but your also voicing your opinions on the biggest comercialized site on the web.

You cant have your cake and eat it to. Look at all the stickies and stuff for sale here.

There show is no different that posting here.

Flame suit on.............Check
                            well let er rip
                            Yes but i dont see any models or neon or logos trying to attract the HIN crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by Feint
                              Honestly,they can't say much in the open.Think about it,why do you think Chris was so quick with that response? Read over it.Try and tell me that his sponsors didn't contact him in anyway/have influence in that response.It's hard to deny it.That's like pissing in my ear and telling me it's raining.We know it's not.
                              Wow, thats a new one... Pissing in your ear and tellin you its raining... well, Ill give R Kelly a call and maybe we can work that out for you...

P.S. I post whatever I want. Not what my sponsers tell me.
                              www.chrisforsberg.com
                              www.driftalliance.com
                              www.nosdrift.com
                              www.hankooktireusa.com

Comment

Wow, thats a new one... Pissing in your ear and tellin you its raining... well, Ill give R Kelly a call and maybe we can work that out for you...

P.S. I post whatever I want. Not what my sponsers tell me.
                                That may be so but i understand why Fient said that. It sounded very prepackaged. Perhaps that is simply your writing style but i can see where hes comming from.

Comment

Working...
                                X