Race car vs. Street Tune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race car vs. Street Tune

If any of you watch a Vid called Touge Showdown 3. its a BMI special so you should be able to find it. Anywayz. They speak alot of the way many people are doing Taboo things to their cars to make them go faster, handle better or whatever.

I have been a comitter of these things. I never did do this, but i belived a fast car was a fun car.

Driving and motorsports are meant to be fun. Thats why sports cars were built, to enable the driver to have as much fun as possiable while driving a car. But over time, people have competed to be faster or better. Some how forgetting the idea was always fun.

A fast car doesnt mean its a fun car. A race car isnt a tuner car. So why try to make your tuner car a race car?

I see people on this forum talking of seam welds, removing interior. Many other things. Thats great, do what you wish with your car. If its a project car even better! But many people forget that a rocket fast car isnt always what your looking for.

The bottem line is to have fun. If doing all sorts of work to make your car like a race car is fun to you... then go ahead. But a street car is NOT a race car... so why try to make it one?

Thats why you gotta have 2 cars! One for street and one for race.

Comment

What about Auto-X? Just about all the cars in the lower autocross classes are daily drivers and they're still fun as hell...

To be competitive in higher classes of grip racing, you really need to have a car that is devoted to racing, but in drifting that's not nescessarily true -- Taniguchi finished least year's (or the year before, can't remember) D1 season with his own personal car after wrecking the sponsor's car and he finished pretty darnn well too!

I think it's the hot rodding tradition that causes people to do extreme things to their daily drivers. You're right in that there's a fine line between something you'd want to drive on the street and something that should be for the track only. Different people have different levels of what they will put up with in a street car. Some people refuse even to have to slow down for speed bumps and driveways, while others don't mind at all driving with the rumbling exhaust note resonating through a stripped and caged interior with all sound deadening removed. It all depends on what the individual is willing to sacrifice in the name of speed.

-MR

Comment

Working...
      X