No announcement yet.

(FEEDBACK) FORMULA D NEW JERSEY, June 17-18 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brunosimonet, the angle judge could easily be replaced by electronics.
    One other point about angle, how do you judge one competitor in a long wheelbase car that can easily carry 45deg drifts all day, but he's being conservative with 40 deg's of angle as he drifts the course "V" another competitor in a short wheelbase car that's maximum achievable angle of drift is 35deg and he's on the very edge of spinning as he drifts at his maximum angle through the course??.

Comment

Originally posted by brunosimonet View Post
      I really think that we are going through growing pains in formula D we're getting bigger but not necessarily better...why so many veterans left the series? like Millen, Tanner and why guys like Hubinette or Gittin are not able to be in the top echelon again ?
      Tanner and Rhys have to put rally first... (sponsors are more interested in rally then drifting)

Sam is focusing on winning some off road truck championship

JR started the season off slow but is catching up fast, IMO ASD changed the car a tad bit too much coming off a championship season.

I honestly rather see FD continue with the type of drifting they created and fail then rip off D1 and succeed, not saying I want them to fail but they gotta sleep in the bed they made. But you gotta remember the tickets are still selling, why change anything if you can still pack a venue.

I want to see D1 type tandem like everyone else, I just rather see the originators prosper off it. I have come to terms with FD style competition, I just wish the criteria was regulated consistently from event to event and run to run. But I do think classes would benefit and equalize the field in this type of format.
      Last edited by Bebop; 06-21-2011, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bebop View Post
        Tanner and Rhys have to put rally first... (sponsors are more interested in rally then drifting)

Sam is focusing on winning some off road truck championship

JR started the season off slow but is catching up fast, IMO ASD changed the car a tad bit too much coming off a championship season.

I honestly rather see FD continue with the type of drifting they created and fail then rip off D1 and succeed, not saying I want them to fail but they gotta sleep in the bed they made. But you gotta remember the tickets and still selling, why change anything if you can still pack a venue. I want to see D1 type tandem like everyone else, I just rather see the originators prosper off it. I have come to terms with FD style competition, I just wish the criteria was regulated constantly from event to event and run to run. But I do think classes would benefit and equalize the field in this type of format.
        ^ this. classes would make things so much more interesting, legitimate tandems even more. the judging definitely needs a revamp as well.

in regards to the computer modeling of drifting, nah. they tried the "driftbox" (measures speed and angle of the car) while D1 was in the US, and it was a huge failure. crowd hated it, drivers hated it, ended up getting removed as far as i know. pretty sure it prevented some top tier drivers from even qualifying, i know for a fact it happened to Nomuken. - it's in this article: http://speedhunters.com/archive/2009...1-anaheim.aspx
        Last edited by theSidesweep; 06-21-2011, 02:46 PM.

Comment

I've mentioned this at least 4-5 times on this board. I'll mention it again. It has never been a rule that there is no passing in FD. Passing is allowed, but it must be done under the correct circumstances.

Comment

Yeah, the whole "NO PASSING IN FD" thing has been a hard bit of misinformation to get rid of.

Comment

Yeah, its more like "NO COMPETITIVE OR EXCITING PASSING IN FD". With FD filled with walls and outside clippings points the only way I see someone passing is if the lead drivers crashes. Only exception to that would be long beach though, I've seen like 2 or 3 passes where the chaser was not penalized over the passed 2 years.

C) Passing
              Passing is not encouraged during tandem battles. Passing is only allowed if the lead car is well off line, or is clearly specified by a judge in the drivers meeting. Passing must be executed in a safe and professional manner. A safe pass is one that is done in such a way that the car being passed does not lose any speed after the pass is complete. Passing must be done while in drift, without interrupting the line of the car being passed and in the proper line. If a pass results in contact, the passing car may be penalized.
              Like I said, I've come to terms with it.
              Last edited by Bebop; 06-22-2011, 01:28 PM.

Comment

C) Passing
                Passing is not encouraged during tandem battles. Passing is only allowed if the lead car is well off line, or is clearly specified by a judge in the drivers meeting. Passing must be executed in a safe and professional manner. A safe pass is one that is done in such a way that the car being passed does not lose any speed after the pass is complete. Passing must be done while in drift, without interrupting the line of the car being passed and in the proper line. If a pass results in contact, the passing car may be penalized.

In my opinion that rule is far from clear, if I was a driver in your series after reading that overtaking rule, I'd stay behind and not risk it.

Look this is not a FD bashing thread from me, nor is it a "our way is better than your way thread" the system we run works well for us and has been adapted to suit the tracks and competitors we have over the last eight years.
                We have gone the wrong way from time to time, as the level of competition increases the Judges have to come up with new ways of scoring in order to separate the top boys.
                We too went the over complicated way and people were getting frustrated with some of our calls, and we had drivers leaving the briefing not knowing what it was we were looking for.
                We now run a much simpler Judging system, the drivers are happier because they now understand exactly what we want, the spectators are happier (well most of the time) as after a tandem run we are able to explain our decisions by quoting our simple rule's when needed.
                What we have done to separate the competitors is designing more technical courses, our courses are designed to trap competitor's who are not on the correct line, incorrect line to and from the first clip will make it impossible to make any of the subsequent clips for the rest of the course without a major correction.
                On a course like this you can tell by the competitors entry to the first clip if he is going to be able to make the rest.
                We also incorporate a speed gun into qualifying, this is used to record the competitors drift speed at a particular part of the course, usually at a wall clip or the approach to a wall clip (fortune the brave)
                During practise a target speed is set and during qualifying and .5 of a point is added for every kilometer above the target speed and -5 of a point for every kilometer below.
                This system works well for us, but I accept if we were running tracks like you run in the US and with the machinery you have we may now be running a completely different system.

Comment

Originally posted by Formula D View Post
                  I've mentioned this at least 4-5 times on this board. I'll mention it again. It has never been a rule that there is no passing in FD. Passing is allowed, but it must be done under the correct circumstances.
                  so your not going to chime in on anything else... just the no passing. WOW !

Comment

Ehhh give FD a break, they have been busy. 4 events in 3 weeks and 1 event in a different continent, I would be sleeping my self.

Comment

Comment

Stop.... let me SWAG!

Comment

anyone catch the comment jarod made to tony angello about how people are complaining about how its all about speed and no angle, and then tony's justification was pretty much just a "no thats not true angle is important too"(not word for word) also thought it was funny how jarod mentioned that the ASD cars are so fast but can throwdown alot of angle on top of being fast. it seems some people are taking note to the topics we are saying on the feedback threads lmao

Comment

Originally posted by ztkrevolution View Post
                            anyone catch the comment jarod made to tony angello about how people are complaining about how its all about speed and no angle, and then tony's justification was pretty much just a "no thats not true angle is important too"(not word for word) also thought it was funny how jarod mentioned that the ASD cars are so fast but can throwdown alot of angle on top of being fast. it seems some people are taking note to the topics we are saying on the feedback threads lmao
                            This is drifting.com or a reason. It's not a bunch of kids on this site. Most drivers have accounts here and read everything! Also sponsors, and obviously FD president and vice! And J-Rod. So yeah pretty much everyone reads everything we write!

Comment

I can say, without a doubt, many drivers and owners read this site. When I went Road Atlanta, it was amazing the amount of drivers and team owners who read my forum posts and knew who I was before meeting me! Now, through MotoIQ and Drifting.com, I'm getting more and more recognition. I'm still astounded on how many of the bigger names in the sport read my posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Banner View Post
                                I can say, without a doubt, many drivers and owners read this site. When I went Road Atlanta, it was amazing the amount of drivers and team owners who read my forum posts and knew who I was before meeting me! Now, through MotoIQ and Drifting.com, I'm getting more and more recognition. I'm still astounded on how many of the bigger names in the sport read my posts.
                                OMG YER FAMOUS

Can I have your autograph???

Comment

Working...
                                X