No announcement yet.

Open Diff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You cannot carry the same distance drift with the same speed in open diff and LSD. it is NOT POSSIBLE. No matter how good you say you are, its a physical inability to propel your car in the same velocity (velocity has direction, not just speed) with an open diff versus LSD. The open diff's outer tire, where the majority of your weight transfer goes aka your tire with the most grip, is not getting any power. It just gets dragged along for the ride while all your engine's efficiency gets wasted on an unloaded, trailing inside wheel with no traction. How the f.uck you you suppose you can start at the same point, carry a long drift and keep up speed? You wouldn't even be able to keep a line! (You being used broadly here, Mr. Fu.cking Semantics). YOU can't! And on a track, or any road that is not a mile long straight away, there is only a limited amount of space leading up to the turn. Onlyx amount of feet, many times that is taken at full throttle, full acceleration up to the initiation point. The only way to carry a slide in an open diff car is enter with more speed so by the time you scrub it all off by that dragging outside tire, you are going the normal speed for the turn. Then what? What happens after the turn? Where in an LSD equipped car you accelerate as you drift through the end of the turn, a sucky diff car won't get traction to accelerate until you aren't drifting, and both wheels have equal traction. AKA gripping AKA you aren't drifting anymore therefor you did not perform as good of a drift as you would with LSD. Back to a previous point: Limited amount of space means at the MOST in the MOST powerful car, you could only be going a certain speed. So in equal cars LSD vs. Open, the initiation speed caNNOT be any higher. Therefore, with open diff, since you scrub speed a lot quicker and can never accelerate through the turn, there is NO WAY Newton and his laws of Physics will ever allow you to go as fast or as far (in the same amount of time).

Ohhhh... but you are a better drifter right? This is not talking about horsepower or damper tuning or tire selection---factors that can seperate top notch drivers by slight amounts--- we are talking about a peice of equipment that is the most integral part of drifting. It's function allows you to perform the basics of upper level drifting, which are, like stated, not physically possible in an open diff car. I don't care what you say. You say you can hold a slide for 300 ft in an open diff car lets say. Ok, cool, if you can, great. But what speed? Its not inpressive to go out and slide as long but at 20mph less than everyone else. And no way to accelerate through a corner?

What happens if you have lets say a 90 degree, then straight then hairpin. And the 90 degree gets slightly narrower as it leads into the straight, which then opens up, and gets narrow again for the apex. Oh and lets just say the straight is over a slight inclined crest. So, you initiate, slow down for the reduced width (can't carry too much speed into that rocky berm), then get back on the gas full throttle for the straight, carrying the drift out of the first 90 all the way to the outside edge, cresting the hill and then coming back in slowing down again for the tight downhill apex. Cool. How are you going to do that in open diff? You can't accelerate through that straightaway while holding a drift. If it were short enough where your momentum would carry you, you may complete it, but again it would just be a progressively slower speed. Anyway you look at it, you would not be as good of a "drifter" as the guy who made it. Is it harder for you to drift the open diff? Um i guess... but you aren't doing the same thing, so how can you know you would be able to drift at a high level in a car with LSD.

Now for some FUN reading:

Its like being the best baseball player in your leauge of people who hit using tree branches. It is harder to hit a ball using a tree branch? Yes. Can you hit a ball out of Yankee Stadium with one? No. But if you were givin a real bat, with the potential to hit it out of the stadium (look at Barry Bonds lets say... he uses a normal ole' bat) do you think you could? I dunno. Maybe? Maybe not. The dynamics of how a bat reacts in certain spots to the ball is completey different than a branch. You wouldn't know. Youa re comparing yourself mabes on assumptions and a limited view of baseball (or more applicably, WHAT DRIFTING is).

On top of that, lets assume different courses or turns are equivalent to different pitchers. You think that you could hit a little league pitcher out of the local sports feild with a branch? You probably could. You could also do it with a bat. It would be easier with the bat. This is what you are saying, that amongst the people who are only good enough to hit a little league pitcher out of the local park, YOU are better than them because you can do it with a branch and they have to rely on a bat. Yes, you are. YOU ARE BETTER.

So you stay there, perfecting the little league game till the point where you can hit it out almost everytime. You must be a good baseball player. And sh.it, you only use a branch. But here comes Rodger Clemens, and you are in a big league feild. Your branch ain't gonna cut it. No way in hell. Bonds couldn't even hit it out with the branch, how are you? So you grab a bat. You have been playing all the little kids for their milk money knocking them out with the branch. Not now hotshot, now you grasp that bat and you don't know sh.it. You gotta start from square one. Look at Clemens. You've never faced that speed before. You've never held your weapon before. But you said you were a good baseball player. BETTER than those kids with the bats. But you can't do sh.it with it until you learn how to hit a mjor league pitcher with a real bat!

Damn i must say i think that is one of the better analogies i have produced, especially for the LSD/No LSD topic.

Comment

'drifting' without an LSD is not drifting, simple as that.

[/thread]

Comment

what's a lsd??? is it that stuff to make you high and feel like you're "drifting" off to space??? if so, yes lsd helps you drift!!!

Comment

Originally posted by buudweizerr
          'drifting' without an LSD is not drifting, simple as that.

[/thread]
          Dude, you're retarded. I don't even need to say anymore.

Comment

Ok, drifting on dry pavement wihtout and LSD is not drifting because you have no throttle modulation. This is what makes drifts look cool, and offers a great deal of predicability. No LSD = spining or understeer, or a complete lack of control, as mentioned above.

IMO, Anyone with an open diff who is serious about drifting but too poor for a nice lsd, should just p/u an extra open diff, weld it up, throw it in, and drive it untill it brakes.

Comment

you dont need lsd. but it sure does help. it is harder to maintain a drift with an open diff.

you guys raggin on the open diff guys, lame.

i believe in learnin with an open diff first. it promotes your steering technique. seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by marshun
                i believe in learnin with an open diff first. it promotes your steering technique. seriously.
                How does it improve steering technique? In my experience learning with an open diff meant I had to re-learn everything.
                Last edited by aither; 09-15-2004, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cone
                  Dude, you're retarded. I don't even need to say anymore.
                  'Dude,' STFU. Obviously, you didn't read the novel above my post, so please, Uncle Sam wants YOU to STFU. I don't need to say anymore.

But I will.

The only even remotely good thing about learning to powerslide an open diff is that you might pick up a thing or two about weight transfer. But I won't hold my breath about that.

Comment

Originally posted by buudweizerr
                    'Dude,' STFU. Obviously, you didn't read the novel above my post, so please, Uncle Sam wants YOU to STFU. I don't need to say anymore.

But I will.

The only even remotely good thing about learning to powerslide an open diff is that you might pick up a thing or two about weight transfer. But I won't hold my breath about that.
                    hey ryan, don't waste your energy bro, we all know who REALLY drifts here

Comment

All I know that is my Civic LX 2001 can outdrift any S13 that I've ever seen!!

Comment

okay, i'm not going to say much more on this topic, because i'm slowly being reminded why i don't come visit this forum much...

A DRIFT IS A FOUR WHEEL SLIDE.

if all four wheels are sliding, it doesn't matter whether both rear wheels are getting the same amount of power.

i've got a kaaz 2-way LSD which locks REAL nice.... my pal has a stock toyota LSD which is slightly better than no LSD at all.... so the difference in speed between my rear wheels is much smaller than the difference in speed between his rear wheels sometimes... does this mean that i'm drifting MORE than he is? his drifts are less drifty than mine?

no, you've just forgotten what a real drift is, and i'm the self-proclaimed expert on real drift and real drifters. i know both.

whether you link it, smoke it, whip it, a drift is a four wheel slide. if you get all four wheels sliding, you're drifting.

so you can drift with an open diff. you're not going to get the same satisfaction or control without an LSD, but you can do it.

...but if you can afford an LSD, there's no reason to go without one.

as for the price of the Kaaz 2-way.... i bought mine two and a half years ago for about $590 bucks... my car's an '85 corolla gt-s. i dunno S13 LSD prices, and i don't know how much Kaaz LSDs cost nowadays.... if it's more expensive....well....that sucks. you can always weld your diff...that's cheap.

anyways, i'm not gonna argue with pink godzira guy... he's being a bit harsh, but he's right. you're not gonna go up against a D1 drifter in your busted old open diff S13. you'll get laughed at and left in the dust.

drift all you want with your open diff....whip it left and right, trick it into spinning the outside wheel....do whatever you want. have fun with it. just don't think you can go forever without an LSD. it's like buttsex. it feels good, and with the proper technique you can do it safely.... but you're never gonna get a girl pregnant by jizzing in her butt.

Comment

Man I dunno why everyone gotta hate on the pegleggers. I know a bunch of guys that drift great with open diffs. A BUNCH. No they dont lose control and spin out because they have an open diff. I'm thinking some people (not all, just some) who have posted in this thread have not tried to drift with both, just regurgitating what their friends told them or something. Or maybe they dont even drift at all?? hmmmm....

And how can you say a drift is a 4 wheel slide and leave it at that? I've seen a lot of people understeer, panic, slam the brakes and lock all 4, and then crash into the wall. You call that drifting? At least mention oversteer and control somewhere in your definition of drifting ...

Comment

..its not "hating" on the pegleggers. Should we extend this to all mods as well? you could quite possibly drift a stock suspension car, and it damn sure is harder but why? If coilovers are available to you to improve your cars handling and removing nasty things like heavy understeer, WHY WOULDN'T YOU? Harder doesn't mean better. You would just learn a lot of things that would be pretty much useless at higher levels of drifting.
                            i think a lot of these newbies on this forum have never experience / personally driven a car with a good 2way LSD before and therefore have some immediate shield set against it.
                            I'm sure over 99.9% of people would change their mind if they have driven one. It just doesn't make sense not to.
                            As for not being able to afford it -
                            THEN YOU SHOULDN'T be doing this at all.
                            If you can't keep up with cost of tires, broken repairs, and a good 2way lsd - then you suck at life and shouldn't be doing this to start. DRIFTING IS EXPENSIVE.

this is not to say I am good either. I suck at drifting. But i am learning with a car that has the right tools to start (2way lsd, coilovers, bucket seat) and its fun. My car sucked with open diff. I see some of you have quite a lot of posts on here, stop posting on the internet so much - get a job - get a LSD - go drive.

Comment

I dont think anyone here is saying that LSD is bad. But the fact is, not everyone has the money sitting around to go out and buy one. I've always been a firm believer that you "run what you brung". That means you work with what you got. And if you happen to have a stock suspension car or an open diff but you want to drift anyway, who is anyone else to judge you? People can do whatever they want, and if they can hit it up, nobody can say anything. I know a lot of guys that drift on a budget, dont make a lot of money, but they drift every week anyway. In fact I know someone that has won trophys at drift competitions despite being jobless for years. You dont need to spend a lot of money to drift unless you're one of those types that pay everyone else to do stuff for you. I'm proud that I have under $3500 into my green car including the purchase of the car and I've been track drifting it for 8 months. I probably paid about a total of $50 for tires and mounting over that time period, and that because I couldnt find tires for 2 events. 2 days out of 8 months. Theres a lot of drifters out there (me included) that work on our own cars, paint our own stuff ghetto style, search the used tire bins every week for free tires, mount them at a friends shop, and continue to drift regardless of what mods we might have at a certain point in time or how the car looks. What you gonna do if you total your car and cant swap all the parts onto your backup chassis in time? What just stay home? Save up some money over time to pay someone else to swap it? Or maybe just go sample the stock suspension / open diff backup car anyway? Should I not be drifting my green car because the springs are still stock and the dampeners are dead? Brah I hit it up every week!! Seat time is what matters, not your mods. Do you drift the car or does the car drift on its own?

Comment

you know whats nice about this thread. It's the funniest thing on the web. Yes its all over the web, and you idiots that think drifting is done with out a lsd have become one of them "its on all the forums in the lets laugh at the d.com idiots threads".

Yes once again the amount of skill and knowlage combined on here still wouldnt rival a girls slide crew in Japan.

To the two of you that did post correct answeres why bother comming here other than to own the idiots that post here.

If you think your drifting with out a LSD stay in the driveway and play your intial D.

Comment

Working...
                                X