280z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 280z

Has anyone heard of anybody drifting a 280Z, would this be a good idea?

Of course, I've even done it.

The Z is a decent platform to get started with depending on what you're looking for. There are quite a few choices too. First you have the S30, the 240-280z. They made this from 1970-1978. My Dad is currently swapping '77 internals to a '75 chassis as we speak.

The 240z was made from 1970-1974 and 260z (1974-1975). The 240 has around the same power numbers as the 240sx with the KA give or take. The problem with the 240 (and the 260 for that matter) is the caruretors. The stock carbs were known to be troublesome, but that's easily remedies with webbers.

Now you're idea, the 280z (1975-1978). Being EFI, it's a pretty stable platform, especially since they'd been using the L block motor for quite a few years by the time this came out. One thing you have to keep in mind is smog restrictions though. The only year that's Cali legal to do anything you want to it is the '75. (one thing to keep in mind, the '77 had the best power out of the S30's)

The car's Chassis is a good platform as well. Using Macpherson struts in the fron and Chapmans in the back, the actally have decent stock handeling. There's some options of suspention upgrades, but not much that's affordable, same goes for differentials.

Depending on how far you want to go with the car, there's a ton of resources for it too. Books, manuals etc., the car's a classic now so people are interested in fixing it up.

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/ is a good resource for parts too.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me or whatever and I can see if I can point you in the right direction.

In case you wanted to see my Dad's Z's.

Comment

thanks i was kind of worried about the suspension,but not any more. is the 77 fuel injected?

Comment

Unless it's been modified for some stupid reason all forms of the 280z are Fuel Injected (EFI).

Comment

oh, someone told just later model were

Comment

Engine breakdown for you.

The 240 (in the US) originally came with the L24. A 2.4L inline 6 With 2 side draft carbs. In 1974, with the release of the 260, it is the exact same setup save for a slight stroker kit on it.

In mid 1975, they released the 280z. Again the engine block was the same as the 260's but punched out to a 2.8L. The engine was the L28E. Nissan adds the E on the end of their EFI engines. This particular block even lasted through the turbocharged 280zx (granted, due to smog restrictions, that version only had 10 more horsepower).

Nissan actually continued to use the L block through the 80's. In fact the KA (the motor used on the USDM 240sx) is based on the L-Block series' design.

Now lets get into the fun stuff, the obscure and rare stuff . A very rare version of the Z that came out in japan came with a 2.0L 6 cyl by the name of 'S20'. This engine was a screamer and is highly sought after now. It's extremely rare and worth more than gold. I just thought I'd share this 'cause it's some cool info.
            This is the motor here:

Edit: oh and mods, if you can, please move this into the tech section?

Comment

Working...
            X