Can you drift a Mustang really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you drift a Mustang really?

I just heard about drifting recently from my friends. At first drifting looked kind of funny to me. "What a waste of rubber!" I thought. After all, I usually like to waste rubber in gross displays of American horsepower like doing burnouts, doughnuts, and the like. After learning a little more about drifting I found out it is a legitimate motorsport that requires an extraordinary ammount of skill. After a crash course (no pun intended) in drifting techniques from my friend I decided to see how sideways my 1998 Mustang GT could get. After a quite a few dozen big, noisy turns, brusied knees, accidental doughnuts, and stallings I'm starting to get the hang of drifting. My favorite technique is the feint drift. My Mustang seems to be best suited for this type of drift. I notice that most drifters seem to use rx-7s, 240SXs, and Corollas. Can my Mustang, properly set-up, drift as well as these cars? I'm really intrested in drifting but I don't want to go buy a Corolla or something to get into it more seriously. Does anyone have any tips for me to help me drift my heavy, American car? powerful V8+rear wheel drive=DRIFT right?

Yes!! Domestics can drift too. Any car can drift with the right driver. Thats the thing that makes drifting so great, its more about the driver than the car. Driving a heavy car with alot of power (TQ) has its ups and downs. I'f you'd like to talk about technique, feel free to PM me. I drift a domestic too, a 1989 Chevy Camaro. My friend who introduced me to drifting drifts a 1991 Chevy Camaro. Dont give up on your Mustang, it would make a fine drift car. Just remember that suspension tuning has alot to do with drifting, especially when your OEM suspension setup is tuned for different types of racing (aka dragracing).

Comment

HELL YEA!

hell ya i drifted a mustang with a 351w up untill about three weeks ago when i got my 240sx.
      when i tried to drift the 240 i felt a world of diference in weight handeling ect. mustangs are actully not that bad for drifting you just need to learn what drift styles wrok well with domestic cars.
      90% driver 10% car. my friend drfited a pt cruiser and got a wreckless driving ticket.
      so basically anything can be drifted in!

Comment

How would you suggest I set up my Mustang's suspension to make it more suitable for drifting. With the stock suspension, when I enter a drift the car leans excessively. Also, what kind of tires are good for drifting?

Comment

yea...

Comment

Stop the body roll with bigger swaybars. And make sure the swaybars are matched, running bigger on the front/rear will cause understeer/oversteer. You can also stop bodyroll by lowering the car with stiffer springs but that will affect the suspension geometry (might not be so neutral when you're done). As for tires, I recommend you run good tires in the front (medium compound, small sidewall), and junk tires in the rear (hard compound, any sidewall). This makes it easier to blow the tires away, and its also easier to find free cheap junk tires for the rear (recommend using the stock rear wheels). Read the tech section, the thread about tire tech and you can read about my experiences with tires used for drifting a domestic.

Comment

yup

that pretty much sums it up

have you seen the new magazine DRIFTING they have a whole article about domestic drifting in a new mustang you should check it out

Comment

I dono I kinda thought that article was wank...they asked interviewed a company that knows pretty much nothing about drifting...about drifting O_o But yes you can tune a mustang to drift. Like shawn said any car with the right driver can drift. Personally domestics are in a way alittle harder to drift. My car even after I stripped the a/c, interior, etc. It still weights in at about 3250lbs! which is about 850 more then a hachi and 550 more then a 240sx. The biggest thing to remember is balance. Dont just put parts into the car...buy parts that work with each other...that will work for what your trying to tune it for. Personally I believe I have finnaly tuned my camaro good enough. Except for the fact that my struts/shocks are blown...but other then that I like how its tuned. Oh and also dont use road race tires for drifting. I've tried it and it doesnt work. It doesnt alow your car to four wheel slide and causes more of an oversteer reaction. Very bad for drifting causing spin outs, the loss of doing long slides (before road race tires I could pull off 85+mph long slide drifts...now with them its almost impossible) Well...I guess thats all I have for now

Comment

Most definitly

Hey,

New to the forums. I actually signed up to answer this question.

Mustang most certainly can be drift cars. I am currently building a 1993 LX 5.0 drifter. I'm doing a swap for the 351w bored and stroked to 427 CI. A good place to look for possible tuning options for your car (since your running a Mod motor.) is to look to the official mustang drift car. I know it's not an sn95, but Ford loves to reuse their old tech.

Offical Mustang Drift Car

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea...car/index.html

Drift 5.0 Mustand Drift Car (Fox Body)

http://www.drift50.com/

The best thing you can do to get started is invest in a good limited slip, Lower the car, roll bars, and remove the steering rack limiters to get more angle. Your looking at most likely a 1000 dollar investment to get out there and really test it to see what you think.

Wheel spacers and different fenders may help if your getting rubbing issues. Once you get more comfortable with this setup I'd start working on getting as close to a 50/50 weight ratio and weight reduction. Battery in the trunk, fiberglass body panels, lighter heads (2v gt's have Iron heads right?), a sturdy tubular K member.

I like seeing Mustang owners doing more than straight lines (yawn.)

If you have an questions just pm me. Oh, If you want an engine up grade I've got an Aluminum 4.6L DOHC Mark Viii motor for sale (very close to the cobra motors, different crank, same heads and block.)

Hopefully that helped

Comment

Originally posted by DrifterDave View Post
                    I just heard about drifting recently from my friends. At first drifting looked kind of funny to me. "What a waste of rubber!" I thought. After all, I usually like to waste rubber in gross displays of American horsepower like doing burnouts, doughnuts, and the like. After learning a little more about drifting I found out it is a legitimate motorsport that requires an extraordinary ammount of skill. After a crash course (no pun intended) in drifting techniques from my friend I decided to see how sideways my 1998 Mustang GT could get. After a quite a few dozen big, noisy turns, brusied knees, accidental doughnuts, and stallings I'm starting to get the hang of drifting. My favorite technique is the feint drift. My Mustang seems to be best suited for this type of drift. I notice that most drifters seem to use rx-7s, 240SXs, and Corollas. Can my Mustang, properly set-up, drift as well as these cars? I'm really intrested in drifting but I don't want to go buy a Corolla or something to get into it more seriously. Does anyone have any tips for me to help me drift my heavy, American car? powerful V8+rear wheel drive=DRIFT right?

Well dude if you look at the video i made from the drift day last weekend in Puerto Rico you'll notice a 80's mustang completly stock with no brakes just the e-brake lol drifting pretty well lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THQD7G8MWQA

so it doesn't really matter what rwd car you have, just practice and have fun!!!

oh and watch the end of the video!!! the guy in the mustang is crazy!!!! I thought he was goin to hit me!!!! lol
                    Last edited by Jonny Fonseca; 05-20-2009, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Believe!! (Drift Truck) Drift is a wonderful sport that should accept cars from all walks/rolls of life. I love my 240, but I'm happy to see old school bimmers and even domestics bring their drift game. Welcome to drifting!

Comment

Originally posted by Cid Dincht View Post
                        I actually signed up to answer this question.
                        You signed up for the sole purpose of answering a 6 year old question? Alrighty then...

Comment

you guys are giving this dude BAD INFORMATION. if you want to learn about drifting go to an event. when you get there ignore all the "experts" that are standing around watching and try to talk to some drivers. see if the event allows ride alongs and ask politely if you can ride with a driver that is good.

the dudes at drift50 are awesome talk to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavi Mike View Post
                            You signed up for the sole purpose of answering a 6 year old question? Alrighty then...
                            Hey cavi is not a 6 year old question he's just curious about what to do on his car to be able to drift is good to know that we have another fan and enthusiast of the beautiful form of art that we called drifting.

Comment

Originally posted by drift2thextreme View Post
                              Hey cavi is not a 6 year old question he's just curious about what to do on his car to be able to drift is good to know that we have another fan and enthusiast of the beautiful form of art that we called drifting.
                              06-03-2003, 05:54 AM

that is when the OP posted this, yes it is a 6 year old question

Comment

Working...
                              X