No announcement yet.

You dont need an engine swap to drift!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You dont need an engine swap to drift!

Listen up kiddies... you do not need to swap out an engine to drift.. Thats just stupid. The simple fact is drifting is not about power, and if you're brand new i doubt you will be able to handle your stock power, let alone more.

The whole point of an engine swap is to get more power. Drifting isn't about power, So drifting isn't about engine swaps, Or turbo upgrades or anything.

When you get good enough that a lack of power is the only thing holding you back, well then you will be good enough to KNOW if you need an engine swap.

Okay off my soapbox..

Well this thread is well needed, but u are wrong about one thing..

The whole point of an engine swap is to get more power.
    Some people swap engines for their characteristics such as torque band, weight, to be different from everyone else, and many other factors, its not all about power

Comment

None the less the point is made

Comment

Yes it is. Do i need an Sr20 to Dr1ft ??????????????????????????? lol jk

Comment

Torque is a type of power isnt it?

Comment

No Torque is this slaaaammin new body kit I saw, gives you 50 HP.

Comment

yeah the weight thing holds true for some cars. for instance, the KA24 engine is very heavy (truck engine) and ppl swap it out for the SR20 to shed some weight and lengthen the pwrband. not every one jumps at the chance to lose their A/C.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth
                lmao

Comment

I agree. I've seen plenty of local 240 drifters kick it out like crazy with the stock KA motor. I've also seen local Hachi drifters with stock motors kick it it out like crazy. I've even been able to kick it out with my previous car, which was very underpowered. You definately dont need more power to drift. But when you start to get advanced, I think power is something drifers need to get to the next level. Because there is no way to make super smokey drifts or generate extreme angles without power. Entry speed and technique can only make so much smoke. And I'm not trying to say that people without the power are not as capable as people with more power, but just that more power will give you more possibilities in a show drift type environment. But along with those new possibilities comes the need for more precise technique as throttle control becomes so much more important. The problem I had with my new car is that it had so much more power than my previous car (over 100ft/lbs tq), it was hard for me to control at first because I would get throttle happy. I had to get back into the technique mindset instead of just relying on power. After two sessions I had it down (wont spin anymore), but now I just need to get it fine tuned (which also applies to my suspension tune and tire selections). The crazy thing is my new car also has a stock motor (just much better than the old one), and in the future my other drift car with the crappy motor will be getting a highly modified motor with over 200 hp 200 tq than my current setup. Its like climbing a ladder ... more power, but learn how to control it. Every competitive Japan drift car I've seen had at least 400hp. But those guys are at the D1 level and stuff. For the rest of us still in the grassroot stages, a large ammount of power is not needed to practice your drift technique.
                  Last edited by CrazyHawaiian; 03-03-2004, 08:33 PM.

Comment

some people in the states do engine swaps for JDMs sake

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth
                      you're both wrong. Torque is a movie w/ super cool motorcycles, Ice Cube, and some dude that kinda looks like Tom Cruise..so THERE!

Comment

my friend told me about TORQUE...i need to go see biker boyz then i might be ready for torque

Comment

?

this is why newbs are misinformed
                          stick to the fact!
                          whats torque
                          on a car
                          pertaining to the engine

Comment

they'd have to be retarded to be misinformed by a few jokes. Don't be so anal.

Comment

Originally posted by 180sx2nr8u
                              yeah the weight thing holds true for some cars. for instance, the KA24 engine is very heavy (truck engine) and ppl swap it out for the SR20 to shed some weight and lengthen the pwrband.
                              Yes and no, A SR20det weighs less than a KA24de-t, but swapping a sr for a na ka for weight doesnt make any sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X