Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that would be sick...

Comment

Basically, the S13 SR20 swap is the same into any S13. Red top, blacktop, whatever, and so is the S14 swap. The S14may have differences, because it is technically a different car, but same engine, more or less. And for a few good places to get an engine or frint clip, try jazzproparts.com or flashoptions.com.

Comment

i totally agree...rb swap vid...NOW lol

Comment

the dvd is very helpful even though i havent done it yet to my 240, i will reference to it often when i do in the next few weeks/months. my question is it as easy as it looks?

Comment

i didnt watch it, but it probably wont go as easily as it looked because many things go wrong, such as various sensors...pumps...and other various wiring issues. also, the engines don't usually run great...they may suffer from blow-by...or the turbo may be in a bad condition...coilpacks...maf, etc. there are many things that can go wrong in a swap, and dont believe it's uncommon to have things go wrong with the swap.

Comment

the one im gonna order has tranny, ecu, and a bunch of other stuff with it... since its a company im hoping the turbo and all is good.

Comment

Hey guys, I probably should have posted a reply on this thread a long time ago, but I just discovered it was kicking around. I'm the creator of the Shift 180 DVD and I'm the guy installing everything in the video.

I am really glad that so many people have found it to be helpful. I just wanted to introduce myself and let you guys know that if you have any questions for me, you can post them on this forum.

I think an RB swap video is a great idea, and we might get started on one of those shortly. We've got the sequel to Shift 180 coming out in May 2006, and a Supra/Cressida swap video in the works as well.

Take it easy!

Comment

yo man whats up... i bought your dvd and did the swap myself.. couldnt have done it without it... appreciate it. that really sucked about how you broke the water neck on the back of ur SR... i prolly would have done the same..but since you did it, i knew to be extra careful lol.. thanks again

Comment

Glad you found the DVD helpful. How's your SR running now?

That water line puncture was such a drag. I had exams that week, and I had just racked up nearly $10,000 solely on Credit Cards to fund the project, so I was dead *Censored**Censored**Censored* broke. I was trying to get the car and video done for a show that was happening in Toronto, and I busted that line something like 4 weeks before, so I was pissed. It wasn't that bad to fix, though. Just alot of scrapes and bruises.
                    A friend of mine did the same thing on his, but instead of yanking out the whole motor, he affixed a 90 degree mini hose on the hard line, fed it up past the valve cover, followed the firewall and then went back down to the turbo. Pretty ingenious for a spur of the moment decision.

Any pics of your car now?

Comment

wow its the man himself. Cool.

The supra/cressida swap sounds most interesting!
                      are we talking 1jz here?

Comment

Hey Frank,

Portions of the 1JZ swap will be covered in the video, but I'm not sure what angle to take on it yet. I've started shooting it already with a 7MGTE and it's going quite smoothly. The way I see it, SR's are getting more and more expensive, and it's closing the door on some people who might have some hidden talent in motorsports, so I was thinking of catch phrasing it, "300 horsepower for $3500 bucks". I'm trying to stick to that, but I think I'll go over by the end of the vid. That doesn't include the car as well (which I only got for $1500). I was going to put a 1JZ into a Lexus ES300, but again, I don't know if that would help the underdog all that much.

What do you think?

Comment

i like the idea of swapping a 7MGTE into a cressida because
                          most guys(like me) and gals out there don't have the money to go out and
                          get $$$ jdm engines. Doing a 7mgte swap would be great, because you can find the donor car for under $2000 and a find the car that getting the donating engine for under $2500.

I assume you'll also be covering how to convert the cressida from auto to manual?
                          And what cressida you guys going to be covering? MX73 or MX83

Comment

Originally posted by mkent
                            Glad you found the DVD helpful. How's your SR running now?

That water line puncture was such a drag. I had exams that week, and I had just racked up nearly $10,000 solely on Credit Cards to fund the project, so I was dead *Censored**Censored**Censored* broke. I was trying to get the car and video done for a show that was happening in Toronto, and I busted that line something like 4 weeks before, so I was pissed. It wasn't that bad to fix, though. Just alot of scrapes and bruises.
                            A friend of mine did the same thing on his, but instead of yanking out the whole motor, he affixed a 90 degree mini hose on the hard line, fed it up past the valve cover, followed the firewall and then went back down to the turbo. Pretty ingenious for a spur of the moment decision.

Any pics of your car now?

my sr is running friggen fantastic... totally surpassed my expectations and then some. heres a pic of my sr

Comment

Hey Frank,

Glad you're intrigued by the 7M. We'll be swapping it into an MX83 and doing the whole manual conversion, etc. We'll also be custom making a set of coil overs for it, and documenting how to weld some up. They probably can't withstand racing abuse, but we've tried them on a few SR powered Datsun 510's and they work quite well.

Hey Hoosier,

Nice work. Motor looks super clean! After a while, I was sick of the hot pipe connections separating under boost, so I got some exhaust piping bent just like yours. It is a bit restrictive, but it works pretty darn well, and is polishable. Did you have to replace the upper radiator support, or did you just paint it?

Comment

na... i just repainted the whole engine compartment while i had everything out. i plan on painting the whole car black this winter so i figured what the hell. dude, this piping works fine and dandy. my front mount i/c cost was $250 and intercooler piping bent and installed was $70. i have a friend here in town with the sr and he spent over $600 on his HKS intercooler and piping and mine boosts waaaay faster than his

Comment

Working...
                                X