ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Formula Drift Brand Expansion (Rumor Mill)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brainfood View Post
    Yeah I am waiting new rule book to finish the chassis. Doesnt matter so much for me because I dont have any time constraints but the teams competing next year I'm sure dont want to be down to the wire like this year. Hope they release new rulebook soon I was really hoping it would be out for SEMA.
    Yeah, I was looking forward to digesting the new rule book so I could write a follow-up article. I heard some rumors while I was out at Irwindale about some of the changes coming forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Banner View Post
      so I could write a follow-up article
      Like Button

Comment

Dear FD,
        Can we have a rule book by the end of the season so we can have time to build our cars for the following year.

Thank You,
        FD teams.
        BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

So whats the word? I need to submit my vacation time for 2011 Drift Atlanta.

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u View Post
            I talked to someone at FD and the schedule isn't ready yet because they are still confirming the dates and wasn't able to give me an exact date as to when it will be.

Rule book is also being worked on, and something my contact told me made some sense. "We have never released anything about the rulebook during SEMA. It was a press conference not a Competitor conference." SEMA is geared more towards the general public more than anything else. The rule book is what we, as the hardcore fan and media types, are after and what was announced is more of what the casual and die-hard fans (the fan who loves to watch but would probably not go out and actually try in a pro-am or grassroots event) are after.

Comment

what did they announce?

Comment

So what did they say in regards to the International events? and I second the Atlanta thing so I can also set up the Vaca!

Comment

what did they announce?
                  Originally posted by Jonny Fonseca View Post
                  So what did they say in regards to the International events? and I second the Atlanta thing so I can also set up the Vaca!
                  From Wrecked Magazine's Blog:

Flat Fitty Hats – All former champions will have one. Release in January

PAS MAGAZINE will do calendar and fan guide in 2011

First show is August 7th for 2011 on Versus

Formula Drift Magazine with Haymarket Publications to release next year. Publish Autosport, Racer, F1 Magazine. Will be released quarterly.

Formula Drift is headed to Brazil with details coming soon. Partnering with Reunion who has helped Indy and X-Games locally in Brazil.

UAE event at Yas Marina Circuit will be on Livestream in February for those who cannot make it.

Comment

enkei has a FD Brand rim. "Official" Wheel of fd it says. Ha

Comment

Originally posted by Linguo415 View Post
                      enkei has a FD Brand rim. "Official" Wheel of fd it says. Ha
                      <del>Its essentially a Audi replica RS3 I think.</del> Well, the RS3s look a bit better IMO.

If they are coming back to ATL I would think it would be around the same time. Its always been the second round of the series since long beach came in 06. Before that it was the first event of the year.

There was other big news that was FD related. Forsberg, Millen, and Gushi switching to hankook. Pat Mordaunt might be switching the nexen. KMRs RX8 had new aero and new paint looking damn good! I got a little birdy telling me that maxxis might be pulling out and or discontinuing the MAZ1 drift tires...for some reason I don't believe but still a hot rumor.
                      Last edited by Bebop; 11-09-2010, 01:37 AM.

Comment

So generally speaking, how did you guys feel about what was announced?

Happy? Dissapointed? Indifferent?

I gotta say I am kind of bummed there won't be a FD video game. I am kind of getting tired of racing games with "drift mode".

I want something dedicated...even if its some kind of xbox live/PSN downloadable game!

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeySlide View Post
                          Depends how you see it I suppose. ALMS, Grand Am, and a few other sanctioning bodies already have their 2011 inked out and ready. They also been working on the following seasons rule books all year round, so when its time for winter prep everyone (including the fans and drivers without rides) is on the same page and not left in the dark.

You might say "well F1 still doesn't have their schedule worked out and there rule book has holes", and yes that is true but countries are building tracks for F1. Korea is actually building a whole city in and around the track they just built. As far as the rules in F1 goes, I hope they get there act together but they supply enough information directly and indirectly so even a novice fan knows whats going on. I don't feel comfortable to say the same about FD.

I think we put a little too much on FDs shoulders and it seems like we tend to forget FD is still a new company that isn't a necessity to the venues that they are visiting. Infineon, Road Atlanta, and LVMS do not need FD to come back year after year, we are very fortunate to have/had those rounds in the series. As far as the rule book goes, I think the fans and the teams need to be consulted by whats going on. I'm sure FD reaches out to some teams about changes to regulation. But I cant remember a time when FD has actually approached their fan base to see what they would like regarding rules, regulations, and just the overall way the sport is operated.

I think FD main concern for the next few years is to avoid the label of "novelty" and to develop a long term fan base. I would give them a B- so far.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeySlide View Post
                            So generally speaking, how did you guys feel about what was announced?

I gotta say I am kind of bummed there won't be a FD video game. I am kind of getting tired of racing games with "drift mode".

I want something dedicated...even if its some kind of xbox live/PSN downloadable game!
                            Well, at first I was disappointed. However, I had my expectations set very high. I was expecting rule book, schedule, and other types of branding. After talking to FD, I became a little less disappointed. I still am not digging the hat thing (cool idea on hats in general, but I'm not a fan flat brim hats, in fact I feel that they look stupid). Still disappointed that Versus still has coverage (considering I don't get Versus).

The part that does have me excited is the announcement of the FD magazine. The only thing that has me worried is print magazines are on the way out as we are getting even closer to all digital media. Being quarterly probably means they are looking to sell them mostly at events rather than news-stands, so that kind of qualms some of that fear. (I'm really getting into this article and interview writing, so maybe there is an opening FD? )

PAS Magazine doing the fan guide and calendar, fine. FD Brazil, I'm on the fence after hearing what happened this weekend at the Brazilian GP, but we are talking about engineers and drivers who are known for making millions of dollars. FD drivers, eh, not so much, so we'll have to see.

Hearing that Yas Marina is going to be Livestreamed is good news, but what drivers are going to make it? I'm fairly certain most (if not all) of the low budget guys will not make it, but of the high budget teams, who's going?

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
                              As far as the rule book goes, I think the fans and the teams need to be consulted by whats going on. I'm sure FD reaches out to some teams about changes to regulation. But I cant remember a time when FD has actually approached their fan base to see what they would like regarding rules, regulations, and just the overall way the sport is operated.
                              I have to say, I disagree with this. I not aware of any sanctioning body that has ever reached out to the fan base in regards to rule books and regulations. Fans will voice their opinion by the amount of money spent on Formula Drift related things, sponsor related stuff, and driver/team related merchandise. If they do not agree with FD, they will stop spending. If they agree, the fans will support FD by buying. This is how everything sports related works. You don't see collage sports changing how they rank teams, even though many fans don't agree with it. NASCAR isn't changing the COT on fan input, despite fans not liking it. You defiantly don't see F1 changing anything despite fans complaining about how boring, repetitive, or Ferrari-esqe F1 has become.

Now, they will change the things that create drama. NHRAs' Count Down and NASCARs' Chase are examples of them changing something in the rules to create drama because the fans were getting bored. Didn't work, as the same guys are still winning championships, but it creates the drama and gives the fan the idea that, "Hey, my guy might have a better chance." It gives race announcers something to talk about, but I'll reserve my opinion on that. While these changes were based on some fan input, they didn't change the cars because of the fans, tracks weren't changed, and races didn't get shorter because of fan input.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Banner View Post
                                PAS Magazine doing the fan guide and calendar, fine. FD Brazil, I'm on the fence after hearing what happened this weekend at the Brazilian GP, but we are talking about engineers and drivers who are known for making millions of dollars. FD drivers, eh, not so much, so we'll have to see.

Hearing that Yas Marina is going to be Live Streamed is good news, but what drivers are going to make it? I'm fairly certain most (if not all) of the low budget guys will not make it, but of the high budget teams, who's going?

People shouldn't be scared of the Brazil incident at F1. F1 has been going to Brazil for decades now and its the first time it has happened. The economy is kind rough right now over there. I just see it as desperate yet smart people skimming off a annual profitable event. Then again this is coming from a person who has been on the wrong side of a gun on more then one occasion, and I could probably blend in as a local any day of the week lol.

I think we are going to see alot of drivers from the Asian, Australian, and New Zealand series at the UAE event. I agree I can even imagine those most financially stable teams being able to afford this trip. If I was a team owner and had to choose between going to Brazil or UAE, too Brazil I would go with a smile .
                                Last edited by Bebop; 11-09-2010, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X