Help with Drifting Sponsorship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Drifting Sponsorship

Hello everyone, I just wanted to post part of this email transaction (newest to oldest) up for people to read. I think this message board is a great place for drifting people to share info. It seems like more and more companies are getting interested in drifting and more drivers are seeking sponsorship dollars. However, many drivers don't know where to start so I thought I'd post up this email to get the discussion started so you guys can help each other out. I get tons of emails on this subject, but the answers I give are from my own and my company's experience. We don't know everything, so maybe you guys have more to add to the subject.

-----Original Message-----
    To:

My last comment was not intended to offend you; but it seems like you took it that way. I can't keep answering your emails forever without you making some kind of progress; look at the kind of responses you've been giving to reasonable answers. I figured that this is the kind of advice you need. We are trying to "help you out," but I can see that our help isn't appreciated. I will probably be posting this email transaction on the web to help other drivers understand more about sponsorship so they can pursue their goals.

Also, we never asked you to promote our company, so you saying that you'll never work with us doens't matter. We never solicited you (or anyone else in the US presently) to be a driver. You emailed us out of the blue asking us to please build you a fully sponsored drift car so you can learn how to drift. When we asked you for your credentials and competition history, it was to determine whether or not we should forward your email to shops and / or manufacturers that we know are interested in drifting competition. In return, you emailed us back saying that you've never drifted before, you don't have a working car, and you lack the funds to fix your broken car.

At that point, we felt that we should try to educate you a little on the basics of sponsorship as we have experienced. The many emails I've sent to you over the past several months were purely out of charity and good will, because I thought I was helping some kid out. We did not ask or expect anything in return other than a thank you. Never did I think that our good intentioned advice would get thrown back at us when some punk kid didn't like what we had to say.

Please email us a list of the competitions that you and your fully sponsored car will be entering this year. Also, why don't you tell us who your sponsor(s) are so we can keep an eye out for them too. I'm sure some people would like to follow your progress, successful or otherwise. Good luck.

wrote:

look here bro i already have a job ond u and ur so called team can shuv it cause ill never use u at all i got a sponsor that gave me a 2007 sti and they are buildin it up for me im convertin it to rwd and when u here #### name called dont try to help me out

To:
    Sent: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 1:19 PM
    Subject: Re: (no subject)

I think you should try to get a job first. Sponsors won't sponsor a non-running car unless you're already a celebrity.

From

Thank you for your help ,but you see thats the problem i usted to run a 1993 Acura Integra LS in v.a. at Dinwiti drag way. But a friend wrecked the car before I could get a sponsor. The friend gave me his 1991 240sx in place of my Integra but the motor dose not run and i dont have the money to build a motor for it, so I can get driftin it to get noticed. Thats why i have been trying to get a sponsor from the begining.

To:
    Sent: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 1:44 PM
    Subject: Re: (no subject)

Not to rain on your parade, but typically sponsorship does not work like how you described in your last email. Sponsorship is usually a business agreement between a company and a race driver / team. In exchange for support (cash / equpiment / parts), a race team is contractually obligated to provide the sponsoring company with advertising and publicity in the form of car decals, commercial appearances, and logo impressions. The sponsoring company is spending advertising dollars on a race team with the hopes that they will receive more attention and / or logo impressions through racing sponsorship than they could through conventional advertising.

In order to give out sponsorship, companies usually look for drivers with proven performance records. It's like any other business investment, the company wants to find a driver that will publicize their brand to the general public. Usually only the top drivers get interviewed on TV or their pictures taken for magazines, so it makes sense to sponsor those guys.

If you're serious about getting sponsored, you should take the first steps about learning more and start researching sponsorship proposal and grant writing so you know how to write an attractive sponsorship proposal for prospective sponsors. Most importantly, you should be practicing your drifting and building up an impressive vehicle to compete with. You'll need to spend your own money first in order to get noticed before sponsors will look your way.

From

No sir I have not yet but I would love to get this car up and running soon. I want a full sponsorship program so that I can prove to my dad that I can build a car that will win shows and races (drift, drag, street).

If you can help me please do soon cause i dont have much time to do it my family wants to tow the car off to the junk yard.

To:

Have you gotten any response from your sponsorship proposal from any other companies yet?

From

Dear Sir or Mam,
    My name is ####, I am the founder and president of a car club called #### we are located in RICHMOND, VA. I curently own a 1991 Nissan 240sx with a KA24DE TWIN CAM 2.4L motor but its not running.
    I am looking for some help with full sponsorship for my car or for the team. We are looking for ( body kits, turbo kits, rims, tires, spoliers, hoods, performance parts for our motors/ trans, sound systems, lighting ) ect... We are also looking for help to go to shows, races, and meetings.
    If you ar your company helps us out your logo will be posted on our vehicles, banners of the company will be posted if supplied with, flyers, shirts, product will be passed out if supplied with.
    This will be a great way for advertizment because the cars are everyday drivers wich means that alot of people will see the cars.
    The team goes to about 10 shows and races a year, ( NOPI, HIN, BATTLE OF THE IMPORTS, SHINNING MONKEY) just to list a few.
    If you can help please e-mail me at
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME
    ####

The 240sx that I own I would love to go RB26DETT with an OS GEIKEN trans. I want to try to push 1000+ hp and drive it every day. I would be willing to let your company use it as a project car to build up to show what your company can do.

wow, wtf is that........ get out and drive show what you got and maybe they will come to you..... even tho that tactic never worked for me....

Comment

Jeez, talk about living in a bubble. Paul Effin TRACY can't get sponsorship on his ride aside from Gerry Forsythe's personal company Indeck, and he's the winningest active CART driver on tour. If he can't get sponsorship these days, what's this kid think he's entitled to?

And that's exactly the problem - kid thinks he's entitled to something.

Comment

Damn, he is doing better than me, at least he gets a response.

Comment

Originally posted by NM Drift Group View Post
          Damn, he is doing better than me, at least he gets a response.
          hey Gary, I am sure his check is in the mail!

Comment

I've seen people ask websites with barely enough revenue to pay the bills to sponsor their 'sweet drift car buildup'. Mind you, this is their first car, they just got their drivers license, and they promise it's going to be badass and get on the cover of Super Street.

At least kids still have big dreams!

Comment

I read and approve proposals for a couple companies now. Most look the same as this guys....

Take out the guys personal information. Regardless of how your Sponsorship talks went down...

Its beyond unprofessional to disclose his name / team name in a public forum such as this.
              Last edited by DriftGirl; 02-11-2007, 11:18 AM.

Comment

holy WOW, I live in richmond, run USDrift and have no idea who this guy is. Hmmm I wonder if he is one of the million email I get a week wanting sponsorship?

Comment

hey mike...could this be phil

** phil if you read this, your the best

Comment

LOL. At least you dont get emails like this....

hey man i got a question how come you guys never come out to the east
                    coast.
                    maybe it's because there is real competition out here in the real world
                    of
                    drifting who don't rely on sponsors to build the $20,000 carbon fiber
                    body.
                    so i guess you sold out, that's cool going from your turbo corolla to a
                    honda..... any time you want to go come over and bring your trailer
                    queen
                    and we'll go.
                    BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

you win alex. damn.

Comment

hey i just got back from the indoor kart track and won like, 3 out of 5 races there, someone should sponsor me.

Comment

Originally posted by DriftGirl View Post
                          I read and approve proposals for a couple companies now. Most look the same as this guys....
                          oh wow....

that's all i gots to say about that.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPfeiffer View Post
                            LOL. At least you dont get emails like this....

hey man i got a question how come you guys never come out to the east
                            coast.
                            maybe it's because there is real competition out here in the real world
                            of
                            drifting who don't rely on sponsors to build the $20,000 carbon fiber
                            body.
                            so i guess you sold out, that's cool going from your turbo corolla to a
                            honda..... any time you want to go come over and bring your trailer
                            queen
                            and we'll go.
                            I only agree with him on one thing, and that is...I to make it on my own without a sponsorship. I'm willing to work as hard as possible to achieve that with my team. We would only have tire sponsors, because those can add up real quick when you have 5 people drifting in the same event. I'm sure I'll eventually change my mind about it, but for now we run what we earn. This is coming from someone who doesn't have a car anymore... I'm going to buy another FC, or FB though, so if anyone has one for sale. Let me know!

Now, I highly disagree with that kid, when he says "you sold out". You are a very experienced driver along with pretty much everyone that qualifies for Formula D. I can't believe someone would e-mail you with such a remark. Just goes to show you how immature people can get at times, and it figures hes from the east coast too...haha sorry about that. Not all of us east coasters are like that. I don't get it when he says you should come to the east coast either...Formula D was in New Jersey at Wall Speedway...That is the east coast. I'm guessing he was probably high at the time...hahaha

Anyways, Thats my 2 cents. Have a good one.

-Rich Duchesne

Team Shadow Arts

Comment

Sounds like some of the customers that walk into my shop.

yarg.

Comment

Working...
                              X