Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AE86 4AC & Nitrous Oxide....

Hey everyone,

On the 6th of february I purchased an AR86 (sr5), and am beginning the conversion to GT-S. Currently its in body and paint getting all the body and paint work done to it. Once i get it back, I plan on putting together the suspension.

Problem is, it doesnt have a 4AG, or a 4AGZE, but the lame old 4-AC. Pretty pimp carburated engine if you ask me...

The car hasnt been tuned up in ages, and will go through complete tune up, and gasket installation when i get it back. I need to recover as much of the original 80 horsepower as possible. Im also installed a compelte 2 1/4 inch straight exhaust (no cat) to a HKS hi power muffler. That should boost it 20hp.

If i had the 2K for an engine swap, id already have it. I however do not have the money right now, and am looking at that as a mid summer, end of summer project. I just want it to look nice, and have a good suspension set up, and be able to drift.

Problem is, after im done with weight reduction, I will have a mediocre power to weight ratio. It needs to be better for drifting, if i dont plan on burning up my ebrake and my clutch.

Im considering installing a dry nitrous oxide kit on the car. Ive been researching this and have been talking to people for the past two weeks. I think a good 50 shot would make the car quicker, (keep up with my friends 240's), and ensure a driftable car until its time for the swap.

Ive learned that similar engines have handled up to 100hp shot, and have absolutly no problem in doing so. I understand the risks involved in this, and I like to look at it this way -- once i blow it... ohhh darn.. time for a 4agze swap...

Anyway, let me know what you guys think about the nitrous idea. Include experience, rumors you may have heard, or anything that will help me out with this. Also any other upgrades that will help me get the car up to around 160 horses or so. I do think it would be cool to be the only person to have the 4 AC engine that can drift, and take out some hondas every now and then.

Ill be posting pictures soon. I have a ton of them but havent listed them anywhere quite yet.

Let me know what you guys think, and keep in mind is a 4AC, there is hardly anything for it..

thanks guys

are ou just gonna have it mid-drift?

its seems kinda wierd. i would just save your money and save up for a 4ag

Comment

freakin a...

in all honesty I could probably buy the 4ag.. right this second, and pay preperformance to put it in for me. however! i want to experiment a little. but in the right way. not too many people have tried nitrous for drifting, and when your doing it on weekends with friends then it cant be that bad of an idea.

i know nitrous, if set up properly, with regulators and such, could be extremely feasbile for what i want to use it for. Heres a run down

Im 17. I go to high school and summer is coming up. One of my friends has a 240 and the rest a following close behind.. Im the only one with an AE86, and a slow one at that.. The car will be drifted mostly on weekends and such.. Its a 2 barrel carb by the way...

Comment

i would just save your money and save up for a 4ag
        thats wat ive been trying to tell u....and its not about the power its about the technique (and i do understand u need some power)...and if u want to experiment put a ca18 in it.... sence u want to be different...i would still try the obvious things like headers intake if u can find any
        then try it and learn how to drive ur car first before u even think about drifting ...and maybe u might have the money by then to get ur 4ag u wanted..i even would try to do it before u make rash decisions for parts u might not even need and waist your money on...
        Last edited by sr ^Drifter; 03-02-2005, 07:19 PM.

Comment

i say go for it. you dont really have anything to lose but the motor haha. good luck

Comment

lol. yea. well. how long did it take you to get to know your car? or are you still learning it? the car needs more power and nitrous is a feasible way. stick to the original thread questions too. i've went through all the threads with nitrous written in them so i know this isnt a repeat. and brad i found a tight 240 for sale that tim might like. it looks like that one you guys were looking at and the dude sold it. the license plate was 385-SKD. wa plates. comprare them to that one pic and ill ask you tonight if its the same one. ill show you the pics i took with my phone too. id look now but im on my phone in a clark class.

Comment

lol see. i didnt think it would be a bad idea. it is completely feasible and cant hurt too much. besides, once it blows i gotta get a new one. more input guys

Comment

buy the damn 4age, sh!t cost like 400 bucks man, nitrous has already been tried by D1 driver too, so you wont be the first. experimenting is good but that just seems like a bad idea, but if you do go ahead and do it then post some vids of it on here

Comment

Originally posted by frictionfighter
                  but if you do go ahead and do it then post some vids of it on here

dont worry, there will be videos and everything. i dont think its a bad idea. people have used it before. my friends critisize the idea because they think its for drag... one of them doesnt understand what it is, and he drives a 240 with plenty of horses, the other, complete idiot, has a 84 honda thats falling apart... ill admit though, he has a better sounding exhaust then mine at the present time... he has exhaust leaks..

anyways more input ont he nitrous, 145 views and only 3 inputs... just post your experience with it, little or none..

Comment

Originally posted by frictionfighter
                    buy the damn 4age, sh!t cost like 400 bucks man,

give me the link, ill buy it right now.. seriously.. ive only foudn them for a grand..

Comment

4ac + nitros = boom.

Comment

Originally posted by _uG TM
                        4ac + nitros = boom.
                        are you sure? even with a 50 shot? do you have experience with this?

everything, about 6 hours worth, has pointed me in the direction that anything up to 100 shot, an imported 4 cyl. engine will be able to handle no problem. thats why im not worried about it blowing up, just if it did, id have to replace it. plus it would be fun to kind of review the affects of nitrous on a drift car. if D1 guys have used it, but not now, mabye theres a reason... however they are full time drift cars, where mine will be used as a daily driver...

Comment

someone is selling the 4AG in the buy/sell section for $400

I have done many nitrous installs for drift cars and drag cars. I would not run a dry system on a carbed motor, (or any motor). your motor will burn way to hot, and you will end up loosing a piston or valve before you know it. if you are dead set on nitrous, run a wet system. here are some things you probably want to do for the nitrous:
                          1.) compression check, this is the sate of the motor, make sure the numbers are where they are suppose to be, and that they are relatively even across the board. if the numbers are low, or uneven, your gona burn up your motor, DONT DO IT!

2.) do a full tune up, use colder spark plugs, cap, rotor, wires, change all fluids, coil, ect.

3.) check the carb, make sure its getting the mixture right, be a good idea to use a wide band to make sure ratios are where they should be, and use that even on the juice.

4.) *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* *Censored* the timing, check the timing table from HOLLEY to know how far to go based on your shot

I would not recoment spraying a motor that is that old with out a rebuild, but if you must, be very care full and watch the mixture on a real wide band.

by the way, your gona need an LSD before you can realy drift that car

Comment

yea, thats a lot of help. when i get the car back the first thing im doing a compression check. that will really be the ultimate factor telling me what to do. if the compression checks out im doing a complete change on wires plugs car roter pumps alternater. pretty much everything just under replacing the engine. that way i can gain as much of the original horsepower as possible. because eighty is nothing. but none of that will happen if the compression checks out. im going to in look at that engine for sale. thanks man thats a ton of help. more input guys.

Comment

no link but i can get you the phone number if you want it. its in socal, la county

Comment

Working...
                              X