ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Drifting heading the wrong direction?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Drifting heading the wrong direction?

Well, I've been talking to multiple D1 drivers and fans and a majority of them believe that American Drifting is heading in the wrong direction. I'd like to know what you guys think. Some people believe that the american direction is going towards big horsepower and straying away from good ole underpowered skillful driving. I've even heard that people think our Supra is unfair. Yes we have horsepower but we have a lot of 'junk in the trunk' if you know what I mean. I wanna hear your opinion. All opinions appreciated. Are the big dawg American cars (GTO, VIPER) out of place? Are Americans gripping too much? Are we giving the American public the wrong view of drifting? Do you think the judging is biased? I want to know what you think. See you trackside!

yea i made a thread liek this long ago... its true its goign the wrong way. I feel the Viper is way out of place, but the GTO is just fine in my opinion. Also i do feel drifting is being portrayed the wrong way to the (ricey) public.

Comment

Yeah, I've talked to people after the Laguna Seca event... just curious what everyone thinks. I have my opinion but nice to see what the public is leaning toward.

On a second note, I would have liked to see Chrysler use the Crossfire... just my two cents.

Comment

I don't know. I think it is good to see americans with amercian cars but I would hate for it to go the way of street racing. only time will tell

Comment

After going to Laguna seca.. It did seem very agressive, i guess i have less of a problem with that, and more of a problem with the cost of some of these high powered Beast. The viper is insanely expensive. Performed well but it was very very pricey. The GTO is also pretty expensive to, But not as bad. Not really any worse then a drift 350Z. I think there is too much emphasis and power and smoke. Not just in American drifting either. I'd prefer to see things go lighter, less powered and tighter courses. Even if that means a seperate drifting leauge with that as an emphasis.

That said both Rhys and Sam drove excellent at Laguna seca, but that was never really an issue. I think we really will have to wait until the next American vs Japanese Event before we can really see the difference, and what needs to be changed. I just want the American manufacturers to know Drifting as a sport isnt about spectating its about DOING. Thats why most traditional drift cars can be purchase for very cheap, and even the highly modified versions dont have more then 10 grand in them on most ocasions.

Drifting isnt about watching people with exotic specalty cars do battle while we sit and drink beer. Drifting is about a love of the vehichles, and being able to after seeign the pro, get in your S13 or Your whatever and go down to your local track/touge* and having a good time. Its not Nascar which is all about spectating. Drifting is about driving.
          Last edited by nissanguy_24; 05-07-2004, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
            That said both Rhys and Millen drove excellent at Laguna seca

tee hee

wats wrong with this picture ?

Comment

Rhys and SAM i ment to say sorry about that.

Comment

heres what i think:

every cop and law enforcement agency here HATES street racing. The only reason for this is because of negative publicity and stupid people. I know its wrong, but still.... I HOPE drftng doesnt end up the same way. U just know some stupid kids who just got a 240 are gona take it out try to drft and kkill someone with it. People are just stupid like that. also, not too long ago, also forgot in what magazine, there was an article titled: Drifting and its crashes! and showed a whole bunch of kids with their ae86's in mountain walls. I thought it was pretty stupid for this magazine to promote drftng this negatively. just my two cents

hehe viper at d1gp
                Attached Files

Comment

I like to see a variety in the cars. I thought that was one of the main parts of drifting that anybody no matter what taste in cars they may have can compete. so what if the viper is insanely expensive lets just see a wider variety in tracks that favor one style of car over the other. or even tracks built here with drifting in mind instead of just editing normal tracks .maybe after a while the viewers may see that its the driver and not the car that matters.

my only regret is the speed at wich drifting is hitting the americas if only it could be more gradually introduced.

Comment

from what i saw of the viper vs alex in the ae86 it seemed like the viper just wasnt right drifting. cant put my finger on it but it just didnt look right to me. ps does anyone have the hp ratings on the viper?

Comment

USA drifting is a joke. we have some real drifters, but there are some real *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*ups that are "big stars" read: viper
                      sam hubinette is one of the worst drifters i can think of. i use the word drifters very lightly. take note of that.

Comment

I agree. From what I've been reading about USA events, USA Drifting is going the wrong direction in my opinion. But I dont think it has much to do with different types of cars being used. I know a lot of people bring up the cost of the Viper, but I focus on performance and stats. I think that there are a number of D1 cars that match or beat the Vipers performance and stats regardless of cost. If the cars fit within the current D1 rules, then I think its fair game. But on the other hand, that Viper does not fit within the D1 rules, so even though I dont think the current Viper is anything special when compared to the other highly modified D1 cars, I do think they should build another drift car off the street legal platform (cheaper version, then mod it up). Its the drivers of these badass cars that make them drift, not the specs of the car, so I dont really focus on the cars as having advantages or disadvantages when compared to the other cars. But anyway, enough about the car stuff. Yes I do believe the USA drifting scene is going in the wrong direction. I think it has to do with the style of driving at some of our USA events. When the Japan D1 guys battle, they give eachother respect on the track. They will get close to eachother, but they will not try to cut peoples drifting lines or drive aggressively enough to cause someone to crash or exit the track. They will match the speed, line, angle, etc of the person in front of them flawlessly, thus showing their skill by adapting to any situation. When it is their turn in front, then they go all out 100% speed and see if the other guy can keep up with their style. I dont want to sound like an *Censored**Censored**Censored*, but I think some of these guys with previous professional racing experience dont understand this concept. To them its a RACE. To someone that understands what I'm talking about, its a BATTLE. I respect these guys driving abilities (I think Sam is a really good driver), but I think they might just have the wrong idea about tandem drift battles. But I dont worry about it because a lot of upcomming USA guys do understand what I'm talking about, and those are the guys that will have the most fun battling the Japan drivers, and those are the guys that will put on the best show and get scored the highest. These are mostly the guys that started on the street and have been drifting on the street for a long time. The difference is that they understand this is a battle, not a race, and they give respect to the other drifters on the track. Because they respect eachother so much, they do not get angry when there are accidents.

Comment

U just know some stupid kids who just got a 240 are gona take it out try to drft and kkill someone with it. People are just stupid like that.

Another one. Let me enlighten you, we all were that person you are speaking of. Even YOU. So I guess everyone here (those that can actually drive legally) including you are stupid. Look around man, it isn't the stupid kids in their 240's that are making Drifting look bad, it's everyone that whips a tail around or slides around a corner, regardless of age, sex, car model or IQ. Drifting is going public, it's been everywhere from Popular Hot Rodding to Good Morning America to the Boy Scouts magazine. Why? Because it's youth opriented. It's the new big thing. So every person that makes a mistake on the street and slides their car could be called a Drifter by the un-initiated.

Oh and Cops don't hate street racing cause it's been mis-represented by negative publicity and stupid people, they hate it cause it's DANGEROUS!!!!. Media didn't make Street Racing bad in the cops eyes, Street racers did by killing themselves, innocent people, causing disturbances or being just plain a$$holes. Most Import guys are wannabe thugs. Baggy pants hanging down round the knees, hats on either upside down or sideways or some other way that defies gravity. They run round with their stupid systems blaring to all levels and try to act tough. Drifters on the other hand are a little different. Most of the ones I met are like the Stoners in high school. They are quiet, respectful and pretty much together with themselves. But unfortunatly, they act up in cars so the police and EVERY other person in the world will lump them in with Street Racing. Whether or not anyone writes an article or not, it's considered bad to do anything other than a controlled, seat belted, speed limited run on a public street.

So Drifting is going toe wrong way eh? Well what way did you think it was going to go? It was doomed from the moment it hit the first TV set where Susy Q Homemaker could see someone bringing the rear end of a car around and out of her normal thinking of how it should be. That's when it was doomed. Cause she tells 3 friends, and thhey tell 3 friends and so on and so forth. If you don't like the way Drifting is going then you better pick another sport like High speed lawnmoving or something cause it's only going to get worse here. More sponsers, more cars and more......hey wait a minute, whats wrong with that? More sponsers to maybe give ALOT more people chances to do something they love for money, more carmakers that will be influenced by the sport to build cheaper RWD platforms, more parts will make their way here at a cheaper price.....man. All of a sudden it doesn't sound so bad anymore does it? I don't know about you but anything that makes parts for my FD cheaper to buy is good with me.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
                            I agree. From what I've been reading about USA events, USA Drifting is going the wrong direction in my opinion. But I dont think it has much to do with different types of cars being used. I know a lot of people bring up the cost of the Viper, but I focus on performance and stats. I think that there are a number of D1 cars that match or beat the Vipers performance and stats regardless of cost. If the cars fit within the current D1 rules, then I think its fair game. But on the other hand, that Viper does not fit within the D1 rules, so even though I dont think the current Viper is anything special when compared to the other highly modified D1 cars, I do think they should build another drift car off the street legal platform (cheaper version, then mod it up). Its the drivers of these badass cars that make them drift, not the specs of the car, so I dont really focus on the cars as having advantages or disadvantages when compared to the other cars. But anyway, enough about the car stuff. Yes I do believe the USA drifting scene is going in the wrong direction. I think it has to do with the style of driving at some of our USA events. When the Japan D1 guys battle, they give eachother respect on the track. They will get close to eachother, but they will not try to cut peoples drifting lines or drive aggressively enough to cause someone to crash or exit the track. They will match the speed, line, angle, etc of the person in front of them flawlessly, thus showing their skill by adapting to any situation. When it is their turn in front, then they go all out 100% speed and see if the other guy can keep up with their style. I dont want to sound like an *Censored**Censored**Censored*, but I think some of these guys with previous professional racing experience dont understand this concept. To them its a RACE. To someone that understands what I'm talking about, its a BATTLE. I respect these guys driving abilities (I think Sam is a really good driver), but I think they might just have the wrong idea about tandem drift battles. But I dont worry about it because a lot of upcomming USA guys do understand what I'm talking about, and those are the guys that will have the most fun battling the Japan drivers, and those are the guys that will put on the best show and get scored the highest. These are mostly the guys that started on the street and have been drifting on the street for a long time. The difference is that they understand this is a battle, not a race, and they give respect to the other drifters on the track. Because they respect eachother so much, they do not get angry when there are accidents.
                            That is everything i wanted to say but i cant take the time or have the focus as u

Oh and by the way: FD parts will always be expensive lol
                            Last edited by MrodDrft; 05-08-2004, 08:35 AM.

Comment

I agree with a lot that has been said, the only thing I have a problem with is the person who said that Sam is one of the worst drifters... Umm... don't judge a driver unless you've seen him in real life. He's been driving since he was a kid, drifting in ice, snow, rain, ANYTHING in Sweden. The problem is, a lot of you guys would think he was an American drift GOD if he drove a 240sx or a hachi, which he could drive with one hand tied behind his back. Same goes for Rhys. I challenge anyone that speaks ill of these drivers to try to drift the BEASTS (weight-wise) that they drive with the skill that they do. Then again, I do have other favorites... I like Alex Pfieffer's drift style, I like Ueo's drift style. I'm not biased. Alex came from the amateur ranks and rose up to what you see now. He learned the Japanese style. Rhys and Sam are new to the sport and are growing up with drifting as it grows up with America. Give it time before they adapt their style when they compete more with the Japanese.

I like the fact that professional drivers are drifting along the side of amateurs. Wouldn't you like to compete with Rhys? or Sam? to say that you can hang with drivers that were driving when you were watching your cartoons saturday morning and playing little league baseball? They are just going to raise the bar a little higher and make everyone push a little harder. My goal is to make D1 status in my little hachi pushing probably 180-200hp. I would LOVE to go up against a 400hp Viper or the GTO or even our Supra. Time will only tell. All us amateurs just need to show our style and raise the bar. I'll see you guys a drift days. Keep it slideways...

Comment

Working...
                              X