No announcement yet.

Beginner Drift Car Setup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parts a beginner should get first? I personally think your jumping the gun a bit on shock\spring\coilovers that is unless they are blown.
    My suggestion:
    TC rods or just new bushings.
    alignment
    Rear swaybar and if you can afford both then great
    RSTB or both if you can afford it.
    Seat - this one is important
    At this point just get seat time that way you will understand your car and any mod after this you will understand how it is helping. I personally wouldnt invest a lot in great tires since you will probably flat spot everything for a while.
    Besides getting a lot of seat time I would suggest reading books on driving and car dynamics. This will give you a better understanding of your car and how it is responding.

Just my .02

Comment

how to know if my shocks are blown?...........i alreayd have seats..........how do i replace the bushings?.......thanks a lot

Comment

Originally posted by DRFT_DREAM
        how to know if my shocks are blown?...........i alreayd have seats..........how do i replace the bushings?.......thanks a lot
        take em out put new ones in..

Comment

Originally posted by DRFT_DREAM
          funny.......what i meant was where is all the bushings is located and which are the ones which are vital for me to replace

Comment

the bushings are located all over the suspension. Generally they are made of a soft or rubbery material (240s have some that are filled with a liquid or gel) that sit between metal moving parts of the suspension to soak up bumps and keep metal on metal contact. they are often pushed out and replaced by new ones, sometimes made of a stiffer material, to give better response, they are pushed in with a hydrallic press. Anything any one else wants to add? im looking at you lorin and chas...

Comment

About bushings? Well the harder the material, the crappier the ride will be. You could do soild metal, but it would suck. Also, replacing your bushings takes along time, so shops usally charge 400+. I would say rent a press for a day and do it yourself. It will really make your response alot better. They are on everything. Shifter, Arms, Links, Rods, Shocks, etc. I would suggest getting a master kit.

Comment

Bump for a great post so there aren't even more reposts.

Comment

As to your guys posts about the shock/spring set up. Koni Yellows and Tokico Illuminas offer adjustable dampening. Thats what I am getting installed on my FD....H&R springs with Tokico Illuminas. I just feel that coilovers are more trouble than they are worth and unless you are adept in adjusting them, you are in for a long day and an extreme pain in the bottocks.

Comment

first mod = haynes repair manual (or equivilant) of your vehicle. Makes everything a bit easier.

one of my favorite mods is an all-natural carbon fiber front splitter (aka plywood). actual downforce and very cheap. perhaps the cost of a trip to the local home depot dumpster?

Comment

A splitter is definitely not beginner drift car setup... mostly because beginners won't be needing a splitter at their speeds, and because air going sideways over a splitter headed forward does approximately nothing. Funny, but don't mislead the young'uns.

First mod: Spend the ~$70 for a FSM. They're worth their weight in gold, and even $100 would be a great deal. The Chilton/Haynes manuals provide great toilet paper or heating material.

One could always search on zilvia.net for the online FSMs for 240s, however...

Comment

Beginner?

Hey, I don't know about you guys, but here in central CA life is expensive, especially if you are in college. Um, I'm trying to learn to drift my (pretty much stock) Datsun 280Z, and no one makes coilovers for the Z except Ground Control, and even those require welding to mount. I was planning on getting a set of swaybars and strut tower braces, which will cost me about 500 for all of it, and I guess it's a good setup because if you hit a bump while drifting or "spirited driving" with hard struts and springs, you could lose control, especially while driving bumpy mountain roads. That's why I think I'm gonna keep my springs and shocks stock for now because softer springs are better on bumps. I'm also looking for an LSD, but you don't NEED one to drift, right? It's just easier with one (or is it cheating? heehee, j/k). what do you guys think about my setup? Remember, I don't have the money for a custom, setup. Tell me where I'm wrong, if I am.

Comment

Tein Basic are only height adjustable right?
                          anyone got info on this?

Comment

Re: Beginner?

Originally posted by Pennyman
                            I'm also looking for an LSD, but you don't NEED one to drift, right? It's just easier with one (or is it cheating? heehee, j/k).
                            it helps keep the power flow a bit more equal... you'll probably note that when sliding, one wheel likes to spin a lot more than the other. if this is so, you should seriously look into getting an LSD... but be prepared, they're a bit pricey

Comment

Yesterday I placed an order for subframe spacers. Mmmmm... CNC. I've heard they're better for street use than stiffer bushings, but help remove wheel hop and untoward compliance. I'll install 'em when I get 'em and give a review for the 240 guys. If you get them through the zilvia.net group buy, they're only $60 shipped. But that's after you've upgraded the shocks and springs.

Comment

Working...
                              X