(TODAY) RED BULL Drifting World Championship LONG BEACH Nov 15-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (TODAY) RED BULL Drifting World Championship LONG BEACH Nov 15-16

The Red Bull Drifting World Championships Announces Preliminary International Invitees

Long Beach, Calif. – September 8, 2008 – The Red Bull Drifting World Championships has invited the top drivers in the world to compete for the largest prize purse in drifting history. 32 drivers from 12 nations will battle to become the first ever World Champion on November 15-16.

Invitations have been sent to the top drifting organizations in the world including Pro Drift European Series, Drift Australia, European Drift Championship, Drift Mania Canadian Championship, Nordic Drifting Championship, Formula DRIFT Singapore, and D1 Grand Prix. The top 16 in Formula DRIFT Championship points at the end of the season will also receive an invitation to participate.

“We have invited the best drifters in the world to compete at the Red Bull Drifting World Championships,” says Jim Liaw, president and co-founder of Formula DRIFT. “Current and past champions from the top series in the world will have the chance to show who is the world’s best drifter.

The list of invited drivers as of September 8, 2008. The list may change as confirmations and standings will change leading up to the event. A list of alternates have also been created.

1. Hubinette
    2. Foust
    3. Yoshihara
    4. Millen
    5. Forsberg
    6. Takatori
    7. Tuerck
    8. McNamara
    9. Grunewald
    10. Nishida
    11. Miki
    12. Gittin, Jr.
    13. Verdier
    14. Gushi
    15. Mohan
    16. Hayashida
    17. D1 New Zealand 2008 Champion
    18. Drift Mania Canadian Championship 2008 Champion
    19. Drift Australia 2008 Champion
    20. Drift Australia 2008 Runner-up
    21. European Drifting Championship 2008 Champion
    22. Tengku Djan 2008 Podium
    23. Mike Whiddet 2008 Podium
    24. Pro Drift Winner 2008 Champion
    25. Pro Drift Runner-up 2008 Runner-up
    26. Fredric Aasbo
    27. D1GP Past Champion
    28. D1GP Past Champion
    29. D1GP Past Champion
    30. D1GP Past Champion
    31. D1GP Past Champion
    32. D1GP 2008 Champion

The Red Bull Drifting World Championship will take place on November 15 -16 in Long Beach, CA. More information to follow including the official announcement of the unique venue, ticket availability, and the official drivers list.

This is pretty stupid, D1 passed champions... cant name the names.... we already got one of them lol.

And whats up with the MSC series, I much rather see some of those guys then a lot of these "D1GP Past Champions".

Bring out Magician!!!!

And I hope there isn't a set field... lets have some real quality drifting.

Random privateers ftw.

Comment

i agree with the MSC people...

last i heard MSC was aligned with formula D

so why not bring them in also?

Comment

Hence, "Preliminary". MSC is a good partner of ours and many D1 past champs do run in MSC. Lots more to come. So many people speculated about us not involving D1 so here is a show that we have.

Comment

16 Drivers from one country huh??? How is this fair considering the other 16 are split up between other countries? I guess since it's held in the U.S we should be the ones with the better odds

This is preliminary I understand but maybe rethinking the fairness of this "WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP" should be acknowledged.

Or should this be called "FD drivers vs. the rest of the world championships"

Note: Don't compare this to D1 world championship.....We should stand out and make it an even playing field.

My 2 cents...Love it or hate it!!! I could care less

Comment

Originally posted by stedriftward View Post
            16 Drivers from one country huh???
            16?

I'm only counting 6 American born drivers. 7 if you want to count Sam as he is a full fledged American citizen now.

Yao Ming is in the NBA but during the olympics he played for China.

This championship is about as "worldly" as you can get you got drivers born in all parts of the planet.

And yeah unless they're really good lets leave the random priviteers out of this.

This isn't about which random bare bones team guy can beat the best in the world. Its about who is the best OF THE BEST. That's why its invite only.

EDIT: Dude! my post cout is at 666...creepy
            Last edited by MonkeySlide; 09-08-2008, 08:14 PM. Reason: darkness cometh!

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeySlide View Post
              16?

And yeah unless they're really good lets leave the random priviteers out of this.

This isn't about which random bare bones team guy can beat the best in the world. Its about who is the best OF THE BEST. That's why its invite only.

You think dudes like John Russakoff, Tommy Suell, Yasu Kondo, and Henry Schelley are not some of the best.

Those are all guys except for Tommy and Kondo that qualified for previous years USAvsJPN and D1 world championship events.

Tanner foust was a lesser known unknown driver who earned a licence and qualified for a event like this at one time also.

So was Forsburg and JR

So was hubinette and rutherford (who shared a basicly stock 350z.).

Random privateers that are good are the reason why I show up lol.

Comment

Part of the issue of putting something like this together is figuring out how to invite drivers. Doing it based on merit is the easiest way. As it stands now, 1 of the former D1 champions is going to be driving under the FD top 16 (Miki)... while another driver who I don't think has ever finished top 5 in D1 standings is ahead of him in the rankings (Takatori). Since FD is the "home" series, it's only fair that they invite a majority of their drivers. It's also pretty well known that drivers from around the world try and find a way to come compete in FD. See Wharerau, McNamara, Miki, Takatori, Haraguchi, Yamamoto, etc etc. FD has also done all the footwork to make the event as fair as possible for everybody, and has secured the sponsors to make this happen. In the past, drivers have been invited arbitrarily. Formula D made a formal announcement in July and alluded that they would be inviting champions past and present to this competition. Here we are 2 months in advance of the event and we have a list of invites, with many of the series standings still in contention.

This is a neutral track, with drivers from around the world who will be given 2 full months of planning time in most cases to get their cars here. I'd expect that there will probably be a few practices during the week leading up to the event. It's about as fair as it gets.
                Last edited by Slapshotnerd; 09-08-2008, 10:14 PM.

Comment

I say who ever qualifies top 32 let em in

if they don't, no matter who they are, thanks for coming out.

Better yet, let the top 4 FD guys be seeded

that leaves 12 straight up open spots

let the games begin
                  Last edited by Bebop; 09-09-2008, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Who are the judges going to be? Won't FD judges be biased towards FD drivers? hmmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
                      I say who ever qualifies top 32 let em in

if they don't, no matter who they are, thanks for coming out.

Better yet, let the top 4 FD guys be seeded

that leaves 12 straight up open spots

let the games begin

do not leave the top 4 seeded- FD i think will be surprized
                      I think alot of people are gonna be surprized by the likes of the europeans /NZ coming over,
                      Alot of things have changed since the last proper Exhibition match 2 years ago

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
                        You think dudes like John Russakoff, Tommy Suell, Yasu Kondo, and Henry Schelley are not some of the best.

Those are all guys except for Tommy and Kondo that qualified for previous years USAvsJPN and D1 world championship events.

Tanner foust was a lesser known unknown driver who earned a licence and qualified for a event like this at one time also.

So was Forsburg and JR

So was hubinette and rutherford (who shared a basicly stock 350z.).

Random privateers that are good are the reason why I show up lol.
                        I see your point but you gotta remember that back when JR, Hubinette, and Rutherford were random privateers...EVERYONE who wasn't from Japan was basically a privateer!

Drifting was still new then and no one really knew which "Americans" would be stand out stars.

Things are a little different now. We know who the big dogs are so its only right that those are the guys who go up against the best from the rest of the world.

T. Suell, Russakoff and the like are good yes but the best?

Most of the people on the list from Formula D are people who have made the podium or at least great 8. Although there are some exceptions.

If you wanted to make a case that one of these guys should be there rather than say, Verdier then I could see that.

However Verdier was probably chosen because hes another international driver to add to the mix and perhaps he as a little more money in his team than the other guys. But that's just my speculation there could be another reason which would better explain things.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeySlide View Post
                          I see your point but you gotta remember that back when JR, Hubinette, and Rutherford were random privateers...EVERYONE who wasn't from Japan was basically a privateer!

Drifting was still new then and no one really knew which "Americans" would be stand out stars.

Things are a little different now. We know who the big dogs are so its only right that those are the guys who go up against the best from the rest of the world.

T. Suell, Russakoff and the like are good yes but the best?

Most of the people on the list from Formula D are people who have made the podium or at least great 8. Although there are some exceptions.

If you wanted to make a case that one of these guys should be there rather than say, Verdier then I could see that.

However Verdier was probably chosen because hes another international driver to add to the mix and perhaps he as a little more money in his team than the other guys. But that's just my speculation there could be another reason which would better explain things.
                          Verdier is on the list because he's in the top 16 in points. Again, no playing favorites here... if other drivers earn enough points in the final 2 rounds, Verdier will be out. The line has been drawn in the sand, and the drivers will have to battle on their own.

Tony Angelo is currently tied for 17th with Justin Pawlak. Will FD let either driver in because they're crowd favorites? Nope. McQuarrie is 21st with the Porsche. Will FD let him in because a Porsche is a cool drift car and would make for good TV (assuming they get a TV deal for this)? Nope. It's top 16 or bust, that's it. That's the easiest way not to play favorites!

Comment

(assuming they get a TV deal for this)
                            Yup, there is a deal for this and production will be done by Red Bull

And Blaze, to clarify past champions for D1 are drivers not currently competing in Formula Drift. These would be drivers competing in the current Japanese D1 Series.

Again, this event is as much of an Champions theme as we can. Of course we want the best drivers. As for the 16 FD Drivers.... US is the host country. Like China in the Olympics, the host country gets more invites. This is also the most realistic way to operate this type of event. It gives a race for our current guys to make top 16 and the other series also are drifting to the proverbial finish line. It is a competition to get to a competition for the most part, not a random selection.

Comment

the top 16 guys in fd earned their spots they should have it

Comment

Working...
                              X