KA24DE overheating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KA24DE overheating?

hey everyone.ok for some odd reason my KA24DE is overheating which i dont understand,after i drive it regularly for about 15-20mins steam starts coming out the overflow tank.its weird though,cause im not leaking any coolant,and the upper and lower radiator hoses feel tense and feel like they do have coolant in them.so i dont know whats going on.this ka motor is swapped in,i originally had a KA24E but that blew so i swapped in a 96 DE motor.idk if that helps.PLZ HELP.thanks.

is your thermostat opening up?

stock radiator / fan?

Comment

stock radiator and fan.what do you mean thermostat opening up?

Comment

one of the coolant lines may be clogged, or at least there may be a lot of buildup, severely limiting flow.

Comment

Also check headgasket. It is known for blowing on the KA, can cause your engine to overheat fast.

Comment

wouldnt it run badly if the headgasket blew?how does it usually feel? like what are the symptoms basically,ive never had a blown headgasket.would having a blown head gasket cause my car to not want to start unless i give it gas,but then once it starts it chugs for a second then becomes fine?becuase thats what my car has been doing for about a month.thanks.

Comment

Hmmmm, that is some wierd symptoms. Might possibly be something very wrong with your car. But it might be something not so bad. Having to give it gas to start usually means bad power plant, like your alternator may be going or something. Anyway, I don't know the situation of your car right now, maybe someone else who is alittle more tech wise can help. I will try and think about it and try to help the best I can though. Sorry. Later.

Comment

thanks.after reading about that it could be a headgasket makes me think its that.cause if the headgasket is blown when im trying to start it, could it be that the cylinders are losing compression because of that leak in the gasket so its not creating the spark?im far from an expert on any of this,im just throwing ideas out there to try to figure out what the heck is wrong w/my car.on friday im taking it to get diagnostics done,hopefully that will help dramatically.but until then i would like to still try to figur eout whats wrong so i dont go into the shop with a blank head and get charged a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* load for the wrong problem.thanks

Comment

It might be, it depends on how bad the problem is. A blown hg can make it act very wierd, but different depending on real condition. Take it to a pro for diagnostics, like you said. They should be able to pin point your problem.

Comment

some things to check:

let the car warm up and feel the coolant hoses. see if you can feel the water / coolant moving through the hose (be careful, it will get warm).

also, take off the radiator cap and see if you can see the water moving. if it is, you're good. if not, might be the thermostat.

If the water is moving through the radiator fine, try blipping the throttle cable with the cap off. If liquid starts spewing out of the radiator cap, then it's the head gasket. Also, check the compression.
                    Last edited by Slapshotnerd; 04-19-2006, 09:58 PM.

Comment

thanks a lot for the help guys.i just dropped it off at a local shop today to run diagnostics on it.ill post what the problem was when i get the car back.thanks again.

Comment

the thermostat was broken.so the overheating stopped.its still at the shop, because this morning when i went to get something out of the car it still had a problem starting i had to give it gas once it started.so i left it there and i asked them to check the timing.is there anything else that you guys think it could be? it runs fine once its started just i have to give it gas.thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X