D1 f$#%#@ rocked!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
    If they are going to make it the first event of each season then I hope they find a different track. People are going to think the USA is a joke if the only track they ever drift here is a huge open circle with cones and k-barriers and stuff ...
    Yeah irwindale isnt really set up for it. The size too.

I dont know what the attendence was, i heard 12 grand, they usualy have 5 thousand there or so for a stock car race. People who were there understand that there was only standing room left on the grandstand, people had no where to sit, it was standing on the steps and stuff, pressed against one another, and there were still people in the infield and press area and in the car show ect..

Someone sugested california speedway isnt far from there and alot bigger.

The grandstands give a good view of the drifting, but they need to find a bigger place, especally if drifting grows this year.

And as for the east cost, if drifting gets real big maybe they will have an event over there too. I heard keichi tsuchya is thinking of making a D2 leauge, like a minor drifting leauge. i would expect to see more of those events all over the US as well as japan and maybe other parts of the world.

Comment

DUDE!!!. I have never been to a drift Comp. This is my first time and let me tell you that was hell a fun. My girlfriend and I got the VIP tickects for an extra 25bucks and it was worth every penny. I was standing in the very best spot. You know where the Viper crash the back side. I was standing right there. I was full of tire by the end of the day.

Comment

Yea I agree with CrazyHawaiian about the track issue. I think they should have it at an ACTUAL TRACK with turns and barriers O_o I think the cones and the plastic barriers are kinda stupid. Damn I wish my friend went to it though...he was gonna go down but no one else had the cash to go with him so he didnt go. Everyone else is to busy spending all their cash fixing up their cars.

Comment

This year's D1 made last year seem like a 2 bit operation. I got a load of autographs. I really wanted to see Ueno race. Taniguchi actually persomally thanked me for letting him borrow my marker to sign autographs, haha. who else got a free Inital D manga and who was giving them out?

anyway, I hope they don't try to capitalize on D1 by making a bunch of spin off competitions, there's enough of that already going on.

And Millen was probably America's best hope, it's pretty sad that 99% of the crowd was too ignorant to recognize his insane skill and just focus on his car.

Oh yeah, there weren't any Advan flags in the stand this year, haha, I guess they learned from last year

Comment

Its really sad about all the flags and what not...I remember at the drift showoff in hawaii people started taking all the falken tire flags. Thats a complete show of disprespect and its really sad to see. Luckly at the end of the show they said to take the flags. But taking them w/o permission is just stupid.

Comment

american audiences are just disrespectful in general, everyone knows that *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* is true

Comment

i met 2 boardies but didnt see the mighty chas or others
                Man, Chas and I were at the Vertex/Speed Alliance booth back and forth all day long. It's a shame Ueno couldn't qualify though, he was having problems with his steering rack. I was looking forward to seeing that thing fly.

What'd you guys think of that Mark IV chaser? Also, the yellow Up Garage hachi was the BADDEST car there. Turbo with nitrous, that thing !@#%ing took off. The driver, Ken Maeda is also a really cool guy and I got to practice my nihongrish asking him if the car was ok when they were working on it on media day. I wish he made it into the top 4. I was really impressed by Team Orange, and driftxtreem is a homie! Thanks for those stickers man.

Overall, I really enjoyed this years D1, besides the lame announcers and the expensive infield passes...but a certain drifting.com moderator hooked it up, thanks

Comment

the yellow 86 was *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*ing awesome!

he had nitrous?? how did he use it?

Comment

I dont know exactly, driftxtreem explained it but I guess that hachi is the fastest ae86 in japan right now. He has some kind of throttle control with the nitrous so he gets those crazy angles in the turns.

Comment

i seriously hated how people we're boo-ing the GTO. i mean comon i dont see them out there doing it, if not anything i applaud the GTO for going out there and showing that japanese cars arent the only drifter cars out there.

Comment

No comment on the GTO, I guess that's pretty controversial right now. But...I do like Jasper's new driver alot more than Rhys Millen.
                        Last edited by Weapon X; 02-29-2004, 02:43 PM.

Comment

did the gto fail??? lol, what did it do and how slow was it compared to hachis and others flying by on a drift?

Comment

They were probably just boo'ing it because it was a domestic. Shame on the crowd!

Comment

we need to have someone like driftextreme or someone who can really say how it was doing and was there as well comment on it. i feel my year or so of drifting doesnt come close to allowing me to critize it. but i will try for those of you with out patience.

The GTO was fast accelerating and such, like the faster hachi's and S15s, but that really doesnt mater in the d1.

He had some good long smokey slides. But comming out of the first corner he seemed to have trouble controling it. And he had a hard time on the hair pin. He would enter it fine, but never very close to the wall and would loose alot of speed comming out of it. It seemed like alot of the time he had trouble keeping speed and keeping it stable and fluid out of that turn.

during the final 8 i forget who he went up against, but i recall he was soundly defeated. was it a s15? someone remind me.

the GTO probably got alot of points on the solo rounds due to its difficulty and its long smokey slides, but when it came to side by side, it wasnt competitive.

I am left to wonder how much of this is the car and how much of this is the driver being unfamilar with it? we will have to wait to see.

Comment

who said Rhys was slow?

People were just dumba$$es and passing judgements cuz of his car

he drove a supra last year and was a crowd favorite, that just shows how ignorant people are about the sport

Comment

Working...
                                X