No announcement yet.

Best Drift Car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

all the drifting cars are getting way out of hand price wise because people are willing to pay for it. Dips out there are charging 3-4k for an 86 and you know what? people are buying them! If you are looking for a cheap car, go with the 240...an FC will need a little more maintaince because its a rotary...if you are looking to drop mid teens on a car, go with a mid 90's M3 (awesome LSD)....and if you want a gaping cash hole then get a FD (my personal fav). Just my .02

Comment

I'm looking at buying an MA70, because it's really a great car, no one thinks about these. I was looking at 240's and corollas, but all the 240's were beat to hell, and the corollas are nonexistant, and FC's are expensive.And rotaries are to alien to me.Cressidas are great too.

Comment

Every once in a while you get lucky, though.

For example, tomorrow I'm buying a 1992 240SX coupe with Silvia front end conversion, C's short shifter, swiss-cheesed airbox, A'pexi drop-in air filter, 300ZX fuel filter, Buddy Club coilovers, Nismo shift knob, and a strut tower brace. There's 199k miles on the chassis, but only 84k on the engine, which has been replaced by an S14 KA. It's got a new clutch, pressure plate, clutch master, clutch slave, and oil change. It was owned by a mechanic/enthusiast and is in excellent mechanical condition and fairly decent interior condition. The exterior is black(Silvia front)/burgundy(rest) with fading on the bumpers and minor dings and dents. I should be able to pick it up for somewhere around $2800.

Comment

Originally posted by GRiDRaceTech
          Every once in a while you get lucky, though.

For example, tomorrow I'm buying a 1992 240SX coupe with Silvia front end conversion, C's short shifter, swiss-cheesed airbox, A'pexi drop-in air filter, 300ZX fuel filter, Buddy Club coilovers, Nismo shift knob, and a strut tower brace. There's 199k miles on the chassis, but only 84k on the engine, which has been replaced by an S14 KA. It's got a new clutch, pressure plate, clutch master, clutch slave, and oil change. It was owned by a mechanic/enthusiast and is in excellent mechanical condition and fairly decent interior condition. The exterior is black(Silvia front)/burgundy(rest) with fading on the bumpers and minor dings and dents. I should be able to pick it up for somewhere around $2800.
          you know no one answerd after you posted...

many reasons

why would anyone sell that car

if he really loved it he wouldnt do it

i dont like you

i dont know you

good luck

Comment

yes im the guy thats selling his car. i guess everyone is wondering why im selling it for such a price or even selling it at all.

well this was my 4th 240sx i have be modding these things before they were popular here in the states.

im not a hardcore drifter but i guess i can hold my own.

i enjoy building cars a little more than i do driving them, with that i have come to find myself owning manycars (about 11)in the past 3 and a half years. i am a marine that will be leaviing thIS state for 10 months, and i'd rather would give it a good home to someone that will repect and enjoy it than let it sit for almost a year.

i love my car that much, you dont build something like this just to let it sit in a parking lot for a year. this car is the mildest setup i have ever built, so i guess ill have to make up for it when i return to cali. vq35 in a 240sx ummmm....

steve i hope you have a great time with my car, remember its only a car, drive it hard (i know that you will), break it, fix it, enjoy it.

there are many people here in cali that just loves the hobby, not the money, not the fame, we are not influnced by initial d (yea i own all of the stages and enjoy watching), we dont care if we blow it up, flip it over, we enjoy building cars that can kick the crap out of most on the roads today! have you humbled a porsche ower lately?

take care guys and be safe out there and if you need any help working on your cars let me know and im there. dahamler@aol.com

Comment

Most popular is the AE86, but since its becoming popular, people are also asking for more money, so I'd rather go with the 240SX's. Don't think theres sucha thing as a good drift car, only a good driver who can make a car drift.

Comment

Originally posted by svtxchinoy
                Don't think theres sucha thing as a good drift car, only a good driver who can make a car drift.
                that may be true that there isn't a good drift car, but that doesn't mean that there aren't bad ones. i mean take a yukon or something. i'll be mighty impressed if someone manages to drift such a large and otherwise bloated vehicle.
                any car that would be called "good" is light, and has good weight distribution. not much more is needed. sure, rwd and tight suspension helps, but really isn't a requirement. just go out in whatever floats your boat and take your driving skills to the limit on a track or something.

Comment

best drift car or best beginers car? big difference.

for a begginer i would suggest an older rwd car that runs :P most people have so far posted the obvious choices (240, corrola, rotary powered mazdas, supras) but there are tonnes of decent cars out there that would make good drifters. old saabs, volvos(many with factory turbos), bwms, audis, and the list goes on and on.

Id love to see someone drift a swedish brick

Comment

Originally posted by LexmarkX73
                    Id love to see someone drift a swedish brick
                    *points at self*
                    i'm practicing using a volvo... i've got a ways to go till i can really drift worth a damn though. and for the saabs... i thought most of them are FF... and the weight distribution is terribly front biased

as for the factory turbo on the volvo's... i dunno what to think of them and drifting. maybe i just hate all forms of turbo lag, but my dad has a turbo 740 wagon. it really loves to get it's rear end out if you let it though.. maybe i'll give it a shot sometime. for all you guys who wanna get a volvo 240 and race it, have a look at this

i plan to get a 240 sometime and do a lot of that to it, cause the 740 i have is about to die

Comment

ozzimark- You are correct about old Saabs being front-wheel-drive. The only Saab ever that isn't fwd is the new 9-2x.

If a good drift car is the aim, don't try to be different... the mainstays are revered because they are simply the easiest and most cheaply modified. Drifting is doable in almost anything, but if you're a newbie, learn in something proven.

Comment

Actually, you may be pleasantly surprised with a Z car. Whether it be Nissan or Datsun. The best would be a 240, 280, or first gen 300. STAY AWAY FROM 260Z's!!! When I got my Z, it was finicky and hard to drive. I got it lowered and got new tires, and it now handles extremely well. IT's also easy to break it loose around turns. You'll be happy with it.
                        Also, the Z series is by far the most race proven (spinoff passenger) cars nissan has ever made.

Comment

i'm a hachi-roku guy, but i'm putting my vote in for the S13. its slightly easier to drift at a low skill level, its longer wheelbase is more forgiving. and they are right when they say you get a corolla you have to go through EVERYTHING. just figure on spending 3K on putting your car in decent shape for drifting. driving the corollas is a matter of love. i love my corolla, it handles better than the S13, but its harder to drive skill wise. plus the part supplys are starting to dwindle, a 3 years ago when i went to the junk yard i could find a good LSD rear and a good tranny on a AE86 there. now they are gettting picked clean. i've seen used LSD (oem lsd) rears selling for 400$. and if your making good power >200hp your going to wear alot of your parts like tranny and rear.
                          get the S13, much cheaper and easier.

Comment

I started drifting in my MR2, god that was hard took me a long time to catch it properly. But i since got a 2nd car to drift as drifting the MR2 would be too expensive if i killed the engine/gearbox/ clutch. So I got an S13, completly atandard and so easy to drift. Get one with LSD and you will be linking corners on your first day.

I have now caught the drifting bug big time and am selling my MR2 to pay for super mods on my S13 I thought id keep my MR2 for a long long time, especially as it took me over 2 months to import it.

Comment

I have no expirience since the KA swap is taking so d***** long, so you guys can disregard this if you want...

From what I read, the AE86 is the best car to start out in. Its well balanced and comes with a LSD. They have potential for engines, and parts are getting more plentiful now (for aftermarket, on the internet). AE86's are expensive when I do see them for sale (in the upwards of $3000-5000 for a GT-S)

S13's on the other hand are a little easier to source parts for (junkyard at least) and also a well balanced car. It does have power, so you gotta watch out when you start out. Just for the basic tune-up parts (plug wires, dist. cap, rotor), I had to order, no one had them in stock, and gaskets for the intake mani, exhaust mani, and valve cover also had to be ordered. I see that no one really gets parts for S13's where I live. Prices for S13 are still cheap, I got my '91 SE Coupe for $900 w/ a blown head gasket that was down the street (theres a little inspiration for people looking for one, there out there).

Both are good cars (I know this cause my step dad had an SR-5, and said that it was nimble in handling, just gut-less as all get out), its just a matter of choice.

Comment

honestly any car with less than 150 horsepower is NO FUN. i dont' care if it weighs only 2000 lbs. its NO FUN. sure its ok to beat around in, but honestly you need the HP. S13 or FC3s is the way to go for a cheap drifter. i have yet to see 1 N/A corolla GTS with over 150 hp thats driven daily with no problems. dont' get me wrong the corolla gts is a great car in many ways, but once you realise that you can't drift for shiz and you'd rather drag race or something you're going to be kicking yourself in the *Censored**Censored**Censored* for buying a car with 116 flywheel horsepower or less

Comment

Working...
                                X