X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAIGO SAITO - 2012 FORMULA DRIFT Champion + Irwindale Winner

DAIGO SAITO - 2012 FORMULA DRIFT Champion + Irwindale Winner

October 13, 2012 – Formula DRIFT returned to Irwindale Speedway for the 2012 season finale. Daigo Saito in the Achilles Tire / Bridges Racing Lexus SC430 takes the event victory and wins the 2012 Formula DRIFT Championship.

Round 7: Title Fight at Irwindale Speedway showcased drifting in its finest form. For the first time in Formula DRIFT and Irwindale Speedway history the event sold out before the gates opened to the public.

“Last year was so amazing we didn’t think we could do it again, not like this“ said Jim Liaw, president and co-founder of Formula DRIFT. “This is why we love drifting. We are so energized for season 10 starting April 12-13, 2013.”

The competition was intense as the championship was up for grabs. Entering the event, seven drivers had a chance for the title. This soon changed as top drivers in the chase were taken out early including points leader Vaughn Gittin, Jr. in the Monster Energy / Falken Ford Mustang, defending champion Daijiro Yoshihara, in the America’s Tire / Falken Tire Nissan 240 and the 2009 champion, Chris Forsberg in the NOS Energy / Hankook Nissan 370Z. This opened the door for both Daigo Saito and Rhys Millen in the RMR / Hankook Hyundai Genesis Coupe who met in the Final Four. Millen, the number one qualifier took himself out as he went hard into the wall giving the win to Saito. The wall took a number of victims through the competition including Justin Pawlak in the Falken Tire Ford Mustang when he battled Saito in the Finals, giving Saito the event victory. Saito in his rookie year in the Series becomes the first Series rookie to also be crowned Formula DRIFT champion. Saito a seasoned veteran drifter is arguably considered the best drifter in the world winning the Formula DRIFT Asia championship, D1 championship and now Formula DRIFT Pro Championship.

“Luck was with me tonight. I’m very happy to be able to compete in Formula DRIFT this year. I’ve wanted to compete in the Series for so long,” said Daigo Saito, winner of Round 7: Title Fight and 2012 Formula DRIFT champion. “Thank you to Formula DRIFT and Achilles Tires. I wouldn’t have been able to do this without the help of everyone that helped me get to this point.”

Formula DRIFT enters its tenth season of competition in 2013. Tickets are on-sale currently and can be purchased through the Formula DRIFT website and Ticketmaster. Round 1: Streets of Long Beach will be held on April 12-13, 2013.

DRIFTING.com @ FACEBOOK
    DRIFTING.com @ FACEBOOK

DRIFTING.com @ TWITTER
    DRIFTING.com TWITTER

DRIFTING.com STORE
    DRIFTING.com Tel.(877) 786-7694

The BEST WAY to reach DRIFTING.com is by calling between 11AM-5PM (PACIFIC STANDARD TIME) If you are on the EAST COAST then call at 2PM.

If you reach our voicemail then CALL BACK AGAIN between 11AM-5PM (PACIFIC STANDARD TIME)

Daigo Saito 2012 Champ. You mad?

Comment

And the round winner! Learn how to chase fellas

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u View Post
        Nope. Not the least bit.

Comment

Daigo Saito just kicked the door right open on Formula D. First year competing in the American series and took 4 podiums, 2 event wins and the series Championship all in his rookie year in a chassis nobody in the world has made competitive.

I think if he showed one thing to American fans it is qualifying runs are vastly overrated when it come to good tandem runs.
          Last edited by my 1 88 u; 10-14-2012, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u View Post
            Not in the least, but I was pulling for Rhys Millen as it would have been the better story and a great close to his final year with Hyundai.

JR winning would have been great for the disastrous year in 2011 and the horrible start for 2012.

Yoshihara back to back would have been great, too, as it would prove that Daijiro isn't a one year Champion. He isn't and I think 2013 has something great in store for him.

JTP winning the championship would have made up for the lackluster middle season and get a very supportive guy in grassroots a great thing to show the up and coming drivers in Pro-Am.

Tureck, after not being able to join Hyundai and Fredric, both of who had a fantastic 2012. Those would have been great stories, too. However, it is Daigo Saito who takes 2012. It's still a great result as it does show he is as storied a driver as everyone makes him out to be. That's a lot of pressure to be under, but his experience as a driver helped him put that aside and win this year and tonight.

Matt Field had an awesome run against Daigo and really showed what kind of talent is in him. When someone finally puts him into a championship winning car, FD will need to be put on notice. Just sayin'.

Alex Lee was on fire until his crash in Top 32, same with Tony Angelo. These guys have made substantial improvements into round 7 and I hope they can find a way to continue those improvements into 2013.

Comment

If being in FD the first year out and never driven on any of the courses while not knowing the language and using an unorthadoxed platform ( not a sports car like most of the field ) is'nt a better story than all of your examples then you have issues buddy......

Oh yea and your stats are horrible.

Comment

It was decided at Irwindale. Daigo Saito = Best drift driver in the world right now. Hands down. Won just about everywhere that it is important to win and took on the worlds best talent and earned a championship in his "rookie" season, without a V8, on a low budget team, 2nd ever Japanese Formula Drift USA champ, only person to win D1GP and Formula Drift Championship, only person to win championships in several international series, etc, etc.

And he is only 32..

Rumor has it that he probably will not even compete in Formula D USA again next year. Dude might just drop the mic and walk off the stage now. I mean what is left for him to do? The only places for him left to try and win another title is Europe right? Perhaps Canada?

Comment

^ Same thinking he might not run next year. full schedule.
                  best drifter in the world. Daigo!

Comment

not to mention daigo was having problems all week not allowing him to get any sufficient practice in, hence almost not even qualifying. i thought either rhys or jtp were going to take it. They had that track down.

alas, daigo pulled the rabbit out of the hat and just started not giving an F and let it all hang out
                    Last edited by vvtisupra; 10-14-2012, 02:46 AM.

Comment

^yeah I was bummed cause I thought Rhys was gonna beat him but he wrecks same with JTP! Amazing finish.

Something was wrong with the spark plugs or something like that they were burnt.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeySlide View Post

Rumor has it that he probably will not even compete in Formula D USA again next year. Dude might just drop the mic and walk off the stage now. I mean what is left for him to do? The only places for him left to try and win another title is Europe right? Perhaps Canada?
                        when io met him at long beach i told him get ready for the championship because hes taking it home, i then talked about how he was the best driver and all that stuff and didnt realise he didnt speak much english when he gave me this awkward look so i just said....he said thanks and said he wasnt staying though, and barely made it out saying he was gonna do these 7 events and leave. i hope winning a championship changed that idea, i want him to 3peat lmao

Comment

Originally posted by dans View Post

Something was wrong with the spark plugs or something like that they were burnt.
                          I'm almost positive I was standing next to you/whoever was taking that picture this weekend

Comment

^ Yeah it was pretty cool only 3-5 guys checking it out on Friday. After they found the problem, he qualified! We were there for a bit just lurking, but it was really cool.
                            It was cool Daigo was checking his computer/his tune and then they found the problem.

Comment

Daigo Saito is the man for 2012

Originally posted by INFO View Post

October 13, 2012 – Formula DRIFT returned to Irwindale Speedway for the 2012 season finale. Daigo Saito in the Achilles Tire / Bridges Racing Lexus SC430 takes the event victory and wins the 2012 Formula DRIFT Championship.

Round 7: Title Fight at Irwindale Speedway showcased drifting in its finest form. For the first time in Formula DRIFT and Irwindale Speedway history the event sold out before the gates opened to the public.

“Last year was so amazing we didn’t think we could do it again, not like this“ said Jim Liaw, president and co-founder of Formula DRIFT. “This is why we love drifting. We are so energized for season 10 starting April 12-13, 2013.”

The competition was intense as the championship was up for grabs. Entering the event, seven drivers had a chance for the title. This soon changed as top drivers in the chase were taken out early including points leader Vaughn Gittin, Jr. in the Monster Energy / Falken Ford Mustang, defending champion Daijiro Yoshihara, in the America’s Tire / Falken Tire Nissan 240 and the 2009 champion, Chris Forsberg in the NOS Energy / Hankook Nissan 370Z. This opened the door for both Daigo Saito and Rhys Millen in the RMR / Hankook Hyundai Genesis Coupe who met in the Final Four. Millen, the number one qualifier took himself out as he went hard into the wall giving the win to Saito. The wall took a number of victims through the competition including Justin Pawlak in the Falken Tire Ford Mustang when he battled Saito in the Finals, giving Saito the event victory. Saito in his rookie year in the Series becomes the first Series rookie to also be crowned Formula DRIFT champion. Saito a seasoned veteran drifter is arguably considered the best drifter in the world winning the Formula DRIFT Asia championship, D1 championship and now Formula DRIFT Pro Championship.

“Luck was with me tonight. I’m very happy to be able to compete in Formula DRIFT this year. I’ve wanted to compete in the Series for so long,” said Daigo Saito, winner of Round 7: Title Fight and 2012 Formula DRIFT champion. “Thank you to Formula DRIFT and Achilles tires. I wouldn’t have been able to do this without the help of everyone that helped me get to this point.”

Formula DRIFT enters its tenth season of competition in 2013. Tickets are on-sale currently and can be purchased through the Formula DRIFT wheels website and Ticketmaster. Round 1: Streets of Long Beach will be held on April 12-13, 2013.

DRIFTING.com @ FACEBOOK
                              DRIFTING.com @ FACEBOOK

DRIFTING.com @ TWITTER
                              DRIFTING.com TWITTER

DRIFTING.com STORE
                              DRIFTING.com Tel.(877) 786-7694

The BEST WAY to reach DRIFTING.com is by calling between 11AM-5PM (PACIFIC STANDARD TIME) If you are on the EAST COAST then call at 2PM.

If you reach our voicemail then CALL BACK AGAIN between 11AM-5PM (PACIFIC STANDARD TIME)

Comment

Working...
                              X