drift cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My opinion.

FD / FC - need a little bit of work on the Suspension (well most of the cars need them anyways)

Supras - If the newer one are too expensive. Settle for the 80's they're still good. But the parts might be a little Pricey, if you like good things in your car

or and 83 Toyota Celica GT-S HatchBack, Very Rare and its FR setup. Need work on the Engine. I doubt you'll see a good condition car, with this age.(if you dont believe me, research on it)

Comment

What about these...?

Wat about a 740 turbo wagon, or coupe?

And what about a Toyota Corona? Both are RWD...there just some cars I had heard about...what do you think?

Thanks!

Comment

You can build a drift car out of anything. The consensus is it needs to be RWD. I'm going to further this by saying "a good drift car" is a subjective term because for a car to to able to drift well it needs a good driver. There are cars that are good to learn drifting on and cars that can be good drifters with more advanced drivers. I personally would look for something cheap to modify, repair, maintain that is light, RWD, well balanced and as close to 50/50 weight distribution as possible. People are listing a host of cars that could possibly be drifters. For beginners the parameters are as I listed. Cars that fit within those parameters are.

240sx S-13
        AE36 Corolla GT-S
        Cresida
        FB or FC RX-7
        Celica Supra
        80s Supras
        RX3
        3rd gen Fbodies
        Mustangs
        Miatas

Of course there are more cars that would be good for learning how to drift but this is just an example. You need to learn things like car control, how and when to induce drift, how to determine turn-in speed, when and how to use certain ways to induce drift and how to correct errors. This is pretty much the beginner stage and once you get past that you can move on to more expensive and stylish cars.. I personally would hate to learn how to drift on a car with paint, body kit and bada__ wheels.

Comment

dont forget z32s just cus its heavy dont mean you can leave it out lol

Comment

I saw that some people refferred to Volvo as a drift machine.

I have a 242 turbo(heavily modified), that i use for drifting(See sig.).

The 200 series is a great car if you want to go sideways.
            Not stock though, they need an LSD and perhaps some lowering and off course, more power.
            A stock turbo does the job, but more power and a real LSD is always fun.

The 700 series is lighter, than the 200, in the rearend.
            My teammate drives a 744 turbo -90, with the stock "up to 40 km/h" LSD. He rippes up the track like a M*F.

The 900 series is basically a 700, but with different rearend, frontend, roof and interior. The chassie is the same.
            It has more weight in the rear though.

The 960, s/v90 is a 900 with individual rear suspension, different frontend, interior and a inline six cylinder engine(2.5/3.0 L).

There is a 960 turbo model that was sold in Italy, that had a 2.0 liter, 16 valve, 4 cylinder turbo engine, 200 hp stock, and great tuning potential.

I am currently building a new drifter, since i hope that drifting will grow into a competition series in Sweden.
            I am building a Volvo 944 turbo, 1998 specs, with (hopefully) a S90 conversion(frontend, trim etc).
            There is something "mystical" about big 4 door "de luxe" drift car, i like it :-)

Well some Volvo history for y'all.

Any car be drifted, the question is, can you drift any car?

Go FR, with a real LSD, enough power and no "Sway-A-Way-Off-In-To-The-Ditch" suspension.

+The reason why we are using Volvos is simple: When the car breaks down or I hit the wall or something, Sweden is a lot closer to me than Japan.

/Henrik
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Henrik; 12-02-2003, 01:43 AM.

Comment

what about the corona? it's RWD. 80's model corona.

Comment

Lemme tell you about cars. If you are going to start drifting god knows you should NOT buy something expensive. FD's, G35's, IS300's, Soarers may all look cool but if you screw up (which you are going to do) it's hell to fix em. Insurance is also a bear. I don't fix my FD bodywise unless its a really bad one. So my advice to you is to go out and find something cheapo. I love the idea of that Volvo wagon. Turbo, light in the rear and pretty fast. Cheap as hell to buy and to fix. Plus good gas mileage and cheap on insurance. What cop would look twice at a Volvo wagon? Certainly not Kojack who is going to be watching all the 240s and FC's that he KNOWS are loaded to the gils with punks that are racing. Doesn't matter what you are or what you do, its what they THINK you do and are is what lands you in the clink.

So my advice to you is to go cheap. Get something that you dont mind dinging up. Drift it stock, then dump some cash into the suspension only. Drift it somemore. then do some engine stuff. Drift somemore. Are you getting my Drift here. ( all puns intended ). What im saying is start off slow. Everyone starts at the bottom. No-one starts off on their first day and busts a perfect slide out to grandstand sweeper. They start off with a ruddy 180 when they over rotate or slide off of the road, curb a wheel or run over Mr's Butterworths farmhouse mailbox that her late husband bought for her in 1975. Ugly.

As for the AE-86. they are cheap to aquire. the parts are going to get into your wallet but the car wont. Especially now. They really haven't hit their zenith yet. My brother just got 3 of them out of a junkyard with all good bodies. He swapped some powdercoating for them. 2 hatches and a coupe. All twin cams. Also bought another one for 500 bucks running. Those cars are great out of the box. So buy it, slide it and save your money for parts when you are good enough to need em. Everything is relative my friend. I didn't start with my FD. My first car was an 81 RX-7 in 1987. I was drifitng when I didn't even know what it was. Back then it was called showing off.

That's another thought right there. Cheapo car for you. Old RX-7. Maybe a 510 Datsun. Get something Old school. It's chic now you know.

Comment

S-13's are becoming hard to find. AE86's are becoming rare. The Volvo 740 Turbo came in a coupe, and a wagon the coupe would be the best bet, but I think there also becoming rare...

Isn't there a CHEAP RWD farely fast car, that's popular??? Maybe a mid 80s model? I'll go check on the Volvo 740 Turbo coupe...

Comment

!

i think theyre gonna make volvos into D1 racers? they should cause what every one says here and would agree its a good drifter

Comment

anyone know about the corona? Can it drift stock?

Comment

Yea man. Get a first gen RX-7. Cheap, good aftermarket and not rare at all. Check the Autotrader.

Comment

Originally posted by Driftingmonkey
                          The Volvo 740 Turbo came in a coupe, and a wagon the coupe would be the best bet,
                          You must be talking about the 780 turbo, it's a 2 door coupe.
                          It was designed and built by Bertone, back in the 80's, and was based on the 744.

Something that really could be eyecatching would be a V90(S90 station wagon) drift machine.
                          Imagine this "bastard" with 18"X10", full rollcage, some nice pearl paint job and 4-500 hp(No problem with a "red" Volvo engine).
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Henrik; 12-02-2003, 02:59 PM.

Comment

What about the corona?

and the Rx-7 would be a great choice! don't they have problems though? What about a non turbo? Still have problems?

I really wanna hear about the corona...

Also there is a 740 Turbo wagon...

Comment

^ Get the wagon man...she might not bet the most beautiful of cars but once she starts shaking her *Censored**Censored**Censored* for all the little Nissan boys, they'll know what's up.

Hey Henrik, do you have any in depth opinions on the 940 wagon? I'd love to hear 'em.

Comment

what about the corona?

Comment

Working...
                                X