Coilovers...so many to choose from

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coilovers...so many to choose from

I have posted this in a few 240sx forums as well, but unfortunately it has been quite some time with no responses. I figured I would check out a new site and see if anyone could give me some opinions/information.

For starters, I drive an S14. I have been in the scene for a number of years now, but have taken about a year and a half break (time and money issues). In my long absence from the scene it seems there have been quite a few new companies to show their faces state-side. There are way too many that I would like to learn more about and believe me I have searched for more information, but it seems to be lacking.

What I really want is a site with tons of reviews on coilovers. Is there one that anyone knows of? I know of http://30moons.com/Nissan240SXCoilovers.php but that gives specs only. Specs are great, it's an awesome site, but when it comes down to business and so many have similar specs, it makes it hard to decide.

If you really feel like it post some info here about them, it would be greatly appreciated. The ones in question are (in alphabetical order):

Aragosta Topline
    Buddy Club Racing Spec
    Ikeya Formula
    Kazama KZ-D
    Kei-Office Type XR & XT
    Nismo R-Tune
    Ohlins Flag-S
    Silkroad RM/A8
    Yashio Factory Spec Plus (I had no idea you could get these state-side until I went to 30moons)

I know some of these were available in the US before, but for a lot of them when I was last looking into everything this is their first time having a US distributor. Still others I had never even heard mentioned before.

A while ago I was contemplating going with Cusco and was still undecided as to which model I would be going with. Now I have just gone crazy with this overload of new brands to check out and don't even know where to start.

Buddy Club, Kei-Office, and Silkroad seem to be the only ones I can really find any information on. I was kind of shocked I couldn't find info on NISMO. Any sites/info you could give me to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

www.dgtrials.com and www.ziptied.com are both very good sites for reading good coilover info. Becareful what you post.

Comment

Originally posted by Ichi-Go
      www.dgtrials.com and www.ziptied.com are both very good sites for reading good coilover info. Becareful what you post.
      Thanks for the sites, I will check those out ASAP.

Did I post something offensive though? If so I apologize, I certainly did not intend to. If not, what do you mean by be careful what I post?

Comment

No its not what you said here. Those sites can be critical so you have to watch what you post on there. Ziptied has been known to kick imnature kids that post retarded comments and flame.

When I get some money I want t get some silkroads I have heard nothing but good things about them. The coilovers that SPL sells are also good.

Comment

I understand what you mean now. Have no worries, I will be using them merely as references for the time being. I tend to like to do my own research on everything, it has just been notoriously hard to come by for the above listed coilovers (with the noted exceptions).

Comment

TEIN OWNZORS. CANT BEAT THE PRICE FOR A 16 WAY ADJUSTABLE coilover in my opinion

Comment

Kei Office...

Matt.

Comment

I would probably pick kei office, just because they seem especially great on S14's, but I always wonder why no one ever mentions Zeal. Is Zeal not any good? It has a price that seems like it should be good and they seem pretty reputable in Japan circuits. Can someone elaborate on why Zeal is never mentioned almost?

Comment

Zeal has been around for a while, I already know a lot about them, that's why I did not include them in the list.

The others have been around for a while too, but information was lacking on them due to availability. Now most of them have US distributors, so I was hoping people could shed some light on these companies that are new to the market (for me they are anyways).

Comment

what is so hard about understanding coilovers~!? they all do the same function. who cares what manufacture makes it. as long as it does its job, everything is fine. personally you should just get shocks and springs first if its a daily driver kinda guy. the only difference is the ride height adjustment. but the tension you can adjust with both. Coilovers is a science rite? and science is logic. with logic there is no preference. save yourself the money and get something more reasonable.

Comment

Because humans by nature are illogical, and I'm not one to go against nature.

There's never any harm in getting information, the world revolves around information. I have read of, researched and ridden in cars with "more reasonable" coilovers than the ones that I listed. Information and people that own those are easy to come by; I simply want more information about other brands that are available and other people may not know about.

Ohlins I know produces some of the best motorcycle forks on the planet, but I know virtually nothing about their car suspension systems, if they are as good as their motorcycle components, they are worth looking into as they aren't much more expensive than Cusco 2Rs.

Kei-Office is becoming hugely popular, but I want to know if they are overhyped due to being Keiichi Tsuchiya's label.

NISMO and Yashio Factory should be self explanatory. NISMO is what Nissan is all about, they are proven on and off of the track, but it's their first time in America, I want to hear a true review of what they have to show me, the consumer. I care not what their highly tuned full race suspension proves.

Yashio Factory builds some of the most amazing Silvia's you will ever see, but for the same reason as NISMO I would like to see a review of their components. Their track record is proven, but what about the stuff that they sell to the average consumer?

Ikeya and Kazama I simply know nothing about. These two brands are new to me and I have heard people talking about them quite a bit. They say they are good, but how good are they? I haven't a clue because I can't find any info about these companies.

Aragosta is not as expensive as everyone seems to think. Retail is $3.7k, but there are well known shops that sell them for $1k less than that, bringing them to within the price range of some of the other second tier coilovers.

After reading more I have pretty much ruled out Silkroad (I would still take Cusco over these), but I still am in search of information about the rest of the coilovers in my first post. Information my friend, the car world would be dead without it.

Most of these aren't unreasonably priced at all; perhaps a bit higher than your average coilover, but as the saying goes you get what you pay for. Other people may benefit by learning of brands that are not typically mentioned because they aren't the standard.

Comment

personally imma go with the silk roads. why? because for one they are a cheaper than the tein flex that i wanted before and i need this car not only for track but daily driving of course. and from the research i have made these coilovers are cheaper than most TEIN sets AND have bigger pistons. They are double height adjustable (preload and bracket height), which means you can lower your car without losing any shock stroke -- no bottoming!! They are 8 way damping adjustable over a wide range. Most kits have camber plates/pillow mounts/rigid mounts... you just can't beat SilkRoad for price vs. performance! Took that from dgtrials.com. so thats what im going with.

Comment

you guys should consider an unmentioned one
                          d2/k-sport
                          i kno they are rare but u should score some becuse of their adj.
                          and custom spring rates which are just as good as sping/shock combo

the only thing is that they dont have an inverted monotube like others (atleast i dont think)

i seen em on ebay for cheap

Comment

Ohlins is indeed a producer of the world's best motorcycle forks, but don't forget that they also sell the suspension setups for the FIA WRC, Junior WRC / Super 1600 and lots of group N cars... What makes them sooo expensive. I have heard that they make prototype units for a specific application, but prices may go in the direction of heaven. If I were you, I would stick to a Japanese manufacturer. And by the way: why hasn't anyone mentioned about Erfolgkei? Some of the Kei - Office cars were equipped with the XR model, which is suitabe both for drift and grip driving (which would mean it's good to be used nowhere... ).

-Darkstar

Comment

Yeah Ohlins are the only ones I can't find a price on, but had a feeling they would be quite expensive.

Comment

Working...
                              X