• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FORMULA D TV (JUNE 18th; 7:00 Pm Et/pt) LONG BEACH + ROAD ATLANTA

‘FORMULA D’ ON G4 ROARS INTO SECOND SEASON ON JUNE 18
    WITH BACK-TO-BACK, EXCLUSIVE COVERAGE OF ‘STREETS OF LONG BEACH’
    AND ‘ROAD ATLANTA’ EVENTS

Drift Racing Fast Becoming Next ‘Hot’ Motor Sports Racing Series

FORMULA D, G4’s high-octane series covering the tire-screeching sport of drift racing, launches its second season on Sunday, June 18, with back-to-back episodes of exclusive coverage of the ‘Streets of Long Beach’ and ‘Road Atlanta’ Formula Drift Championship battles. FORMULA D on G4 premieres its second season on Sunday, June 18, at 7:00 PM ET/PT.

Ex-athlete Brandon Johnson, former host of Fox Soccer USA, joins FORMULA D as co-host of the G4 series, with Olivia Munn, the new co-host of G4’s ATTACK OF THE SHOW, serving as co-host from the race pits. Expert event commentator Adam Matthews will join Johnson and Munn. FORMULA D is being produced this season by veteran Fox Sports producer P.T. Navarro, who brings his vast knowledge producing NFL on FOX games to the FORMULA D booth. As the exclusive television broadcast partner for this fast-rising sport, G4 will focus each episode on one event of the seven-city Formula Drift Championship circuit. Many of the drifting pros featured in FORMULA D appear as stunt drivers in the upcoming feature film, The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, which opens on June 16.

“Drift racing is red-hot right now,” said G4 President Neal Tiles. “It’s emerging from its ‘underground’ roots and is captivating young guys everywhere. It only seems fitting that the hottest new racing series is on the hottest, young-male network -- G4.”

The extreme motor sport of drifting -- in which drivers expertly maneuver their customized cars sideways through turns at top speed -- originated in Japan as an underground street scene more than a decade ago. The sport was introduced to the U.S. in 2003 by Formula Drift, Inc., and has quickly become a cultural phenomenon, experiencing exponential growth. Formula Drift, Inc. is North America’s first and only professional drifting championship, and the first to be sanctioned and recognized by a motor sports body, SCCA Pro Racing. FORMULA D’s coverage includes profiles and interviews of all of the top drivers, including 2005 Champion Rhys Millen, 2004 Champion Sam Hubinette, Ken Gushi, Daijiro Yoshihara, Vaughn Gittin Jr., and Chris Forsberg, as well as drifting tips and tricks from the pros.

G4’s FORMULA D Web site, g4tv.com/formulad, will augment the coverage with exclusive videos of full tandem battles from multiple angles, driver diaries, event info, photo galleries and more.

Well, not sure if anyone else is watching, well I hope you guys are watching. IT IS currently on G4, I missed the first half hour but so far one thing is annoying me.

The announcers, wow, I miss J-Rod from last year's show.

Comment

I was very dissapointed with their coverage of the first two events. So many runs were cut out such as all sudden deaths, round 2's Canul vs Sherman, Grunwald vs Aono and Wan vs Forseberg. There is a lack integrety with their event coverage when on close battles with a sudden death, all that is aired is the best run by the winner and the worst run from the looser to make it appear a clean cut decission.
      I really hope Formula D signs with a better network for 07 preferable one with High Def broadcasting and a history with presenting motorsports.
      Last edited by my 1 88 u; 06-19-2006, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Would have been nice to have complete coverage of the event, not excluding peoples runs, and less interviews.

Comment

I also hate the fact that we are on the 3rd year of the Formula D series, second year being aired on television yet they still feel the need to spoon feed the veiwers. Most of us found drifting by watching japanese clips and couldn't understand a lick of what was going on at first but the drifting kept us interested. I think that they should focus more on catering to those whom are aware of what is going on and the newbies will be allured to figure out what is going on to fit in. An example would be to use drifting terms without interpretations.

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u
            I also hate the fact that we are on the 3rd year of the Formula D series, second year being aired on television yet they still feel the need to spoon feed the veiwers. Most of us found drifting by watching japanese clips and couldn't understand a lick of what was going on at first but the drifting kept us interested. I think that they should focus more on catering to those whom are aware of what is going on and the newbies will be allured to figure out what is going on to fit in. An example would be to use drifting terms without interpretations.
            there's still plenty of people who don't know too much about drifting, and the more they can attract that audience, the better.

The X games is on the how many'th year? 13th? and they still "X'plain" every single event every single time it's on TV.

Comment

If you've watched any of the ESPN coverage for drifting events, then you will know that G4 is doing a better job covering Drifting compared to a dedicated sports channel.

Comment

Originally posted by swifty949
                If you've watched any of the ESPN coverage for drifting events, then you will know that G4 is doing a better job covering Drifting compared to a dedicated sports channel.
                Agree. Drifting is still in its infant stage especially regarding TV coverages. G4 made a big gamble with us last year and it seems to be paying of for them. We are so glad that they are showing us on TV and get us more exposure. There is always room for improvements and I am sure G4 is aware of it.

I believe it is difficult to find the "right" way to cover Formula D when G4's viewers are mainly video gamers. They have to keep the show interesting NOT ONLY to the drift nuts like us on this borad, BUt to the non-driftholics out there who don't know too much about drifting yet.
                Hubert Young
                KORE 8 Films

Comment

They really should make it like the first season on air... You got to check out the qualifying rounds, then u got to see every elimination round, through in through. Less interviews, less explaining... What also sucks is that its narrowed down to an hour, unlike the extra 30 mins from the last season.

Comment

happy to see formula d back on tv, but i'm not happy with the new announcers, we'll see how things turn out, but the next round is two weeks away...

Comment

without the interviews, you lose the more personal feel of Formula D... i think, for the sport to really make an impact, you need to be able to get to know the drivers, rather than just the cars. With these peeks into the home lives of the various drivers, spectators feel more connected to the drivers and are just a little bit happier to see them win.

...but then, maybe i'm just saying that 'cause i got interviewed.

Comment

all im gonna say is I<3Adam

Comment

when the interviews are done in sacrifice of showing runs, especailly top 16 runs, then something is wrong.

im sure some people find it entertaining to know about peoples superstitions, or the 'butterscotch boys', id rather see Ross Pettys 'one more time' runs, and Bill Shermans top 16 runs against Casper.

Comment

i only caught a few mins. of the show but i'm going to start a million dollar campaign to bring back J-rod.

i agree with what a lot of people are saying, G4 does have to dumb it down a bit for TV. Imagine if you just flipped to the channel and saw the program not knowing anything about drifting. just look at other "alternative" sporting events on tv, they explain the rules and judging criterias during each broadcast.

G4 is doing a pretty good job just committing the $$$ to producing the show and airing the show. w/o them there would be no drifting on TV. a lot of the tv execs still do not understand what drifting is yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Fleming
                              when the interviews are done in sacrifice of showing runs, especailly top 16 runs, then something is wrong.

im sure some people find it entertaining to know about peoples superstitions, or the 'butterscotch boys', id rather see Ross Pettys 'one more time' runs, and Bill Shermans top 16 runs against Casper.
                              It was damn near offensive.

I had a little viewing party and my guest complained about the changing camera angles every 2 seconds. I've said it before, if Option Video's cinemotagraphy method is not broke then don't try to fix it.
                              Last edited by my 1 88 u; 06-21-2006, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X