Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The answers to whether a auto can drift or not has been explained in many forums. If you don't have a manual, then I guess you can powerslide your auto preferrably a rear wheel drv auto.. A Fwd is can slide usually at higher speeds e.g 80km/hr onwards.

Its a preferred people's choice to drift with a manual because to a certain stage you do clutch kicks which beautify drifts and need not slow down speed. If you do handbrake drifts and powerovers, go ahead with your auto.. Haven you wonder why D1 hasn got any auto drifts category...?

And you mention you just started drifting and mountain roads is definitely a no-no... Why not track it then togue it?

Just my concerns.Thank u

Comment

Drift cars have used semi-autos(sequential) trannys for a few years now. There's no need for a separate category, cars are cars. I'm sure that with a good setup, someone could be competitive with a auto car with tiptronics. Clutch, smutch.

The need for clutch kicking depends on the car. If you have good low end torque then there in no need for a clutch kick. It's all these turbo cars that really need that clutch kick to keep the rear end stepping out predictably.(damn lag) It all comes down to what car it is and what setup it has. Before I had my turbo kit installed on the Z, I never clutch kicked, even entering the bank at irrwindale. Now with the turbo I need to clutch kick every time to get the rear end to roll out right when I want it too, the response in not instant like with the stock engine.
      Last edited by shmately350z; 02-27-2008, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Man my girl has a auto s14 and i drift dat car almost as gud as i do my m.t. s14 .. da only thing i do different is use inertia with da a.t. swing it at gud speed it slides den u hit da throttle to keep it going . and her car is pretty much stock it has just a few bolt ons.

Comment

I have a 1995 s14 automatic just bought it a week ago

Hi i have a 95 nissan s14that is auto and I would like to kno how can i drift it like that i try to do it but whats the better way does the e brake work ..? Pls i need some advice

Comment

I own a 1988 Toyota Celica SX ST162
            It has a 3S-GE 2.0L Twin Cam engine, 5sp Auto, FF Drive Layout
            And I to would like to learn how to drift in it at the moment I use the E-Brake technique but I've herd of a technique called Left foot Braking and would love to learn more about it.

Comment

It's braking with your left foot! This keeps your right foot free to use the accelerator. A load of top racing drivers do it, especially in cars with semi-automatic gearboxes.

Mostly used by me in a RWD drift car to slow down into a tight corner whilst keeping the back wheels spinning if, for some reason, I can't just pull the handbrake (it's a BMW and the handbrake is rubbish) or shift-lock (I'm in second and don't fancy trying to change down into my way-low first). I'm rubbish at it.

But all this is missing the point G-Mac, you said you would like to learn how to drift in a front-wheel drive car. Unfortunately that's pretty much impossible. All you will be doing is handbrake turns, there is no way to balance a FWD on the power because it drags its *Censored**Censored**Censored* straight. Sell it, get a RWD car and weld the diff (or get a fancy 2-way or something) and then you can start to learn.

Comment

do a neutral banger and keep doing that till u total your car than get a manual

Comment

Handbrake and Feint drift is your friend also helps if you have a V8 when you are drifting a Auto

Comment

plain and simple, get a manual trans and install it. Done and done.

Fixes all problems

Comment

Yeha a lot of power helps but I can drift my Z4 fine even though its steptronic, i did install a welded diff so that changed the car completely.

Comment

HEY, what up im new to this forum. I just noticed a couple of people talking about drifting autos. Just thought id let you know ive got a 95 240sx with an auto and yes I drift. Its like drifting a manuel just easier ,but im not planning on keeping the auto doing 5 speed swap soon.

Comment

POWER OVER DONT SHIFT LOL
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx1jNssYHnQ

thats me!....

Comment

2002 3.8l v6 auto Mustang drift

Hey folks I'm new to the site. First I wanted to let people know or begginers know that drifting an auto can be done. So my 02 Mustang v6 is auto and I've been drifting it for 2 years. So why do I drift a v6 auto? Well I work 5 days a week at a OK job and I don't have a lot of money I also have a child so money is very tight, knowing this is a exspinsive hobby it can still be done. (Especially begginer level). So I bought the car 3 years ago without drifting in mind just needed a car. Now when I started to drift it was very hard it's a weak powered car with an open different but that didn't stop me from trying to drift a little here and there. Next I wanted to get a little more serious and better ofcourse so I bought a used lsd rear end 8.8 for 150 dollars. Slapped it in no problems, drifting became much better before I used to approach the turns very fast around 40mph to 50mph and yank the wheel to get a good slide I even used to neutral drop the transmission (wouldn't recommend) but if you have a auto make sure you have a limited slip different makes it a whole lot easier. So I still drift the auto it's also my daily so biggest thing is taking care of the basics regularly like oil,trans, brakes, water, ect... that's just some of the basics. If anyone has questions about drifting an auto or any related questions just ask me I'll be more than glad to answer any questions to the best of my knowledge. And if anyone else has tips or helpful suggestions I would love to hear them as well.

Comment

Working...
                            X