Ka24de or sr20det? why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ka24de or sr20det? why

I have made some money, and decided to go the old hotrod route and start from an engine and beef the hell out of that before I do anything. My question is " you see 90% of people making drift machines with the sr20det engine.. is there a reason?" I wanted to find a totalled 98 240 and just build up the ka24de. Is there a clearcut reason people dont do this, or is there an advantage? I know that one already starts with an upper hand.. having a turbo and all.. but when you get down to the nitty gritty.. will a well built ka24 "bulletproofed" engine do as well as the sr20det variant? Or is there some secret people aren't sharing with me. Dont tell me cost.. because I am doing 95% of the hard stuff myself.. including blueprinting. The only stuff I need to get done outside is CNC everything and balancing. So.. is there a difference?

just search and all your questions will be answered

Comment

i have... no dice...

Comment

ok I have looked up most of my questions.... but one still lies unanswered.. why do so many people switch to the sr20? is it because of costs? that seems resonable.

Comment

Originally posted by 2501
          ok I have looked up most of my questions.... but one still lies unanswered.. why do so many people switch to the sr20? is it because of costs? that seems resonable.
          You'd have to ask each owner, there isn't going to be a clear cut answer as to which is better, it's all a matter of opinion. YOU(key word is you) need to look up facts and specs on the motors, and then determine which YOU (key word is you again) think is better, it's your car, you have to build it, you have to pay for it.

Comment

Check this out. I'm considering going the N/A route. We'll see.

http://www.club240.com/forums/showth...threadid=19485

Comment

ka "bulletproofed will always be better than the sr because its iron. aluminum will be under more stress than the ka at the same levels of power, plus an extra .4 liter isnt too shaby either.

Comment

actually, by the time I was going to be done with this engine, I was planning on taking it closer to 3l than anything, but that isn't final. I want response more than raw horsepower, so I wont be striving for huge #'s. I plan on spending about the next year finding a ka24 I can use, and just working up from there. It took some time, but I estimate that if I did 99% of the work myself, including blueprinting, some polishing, and assembly, i would spend around 10k, instead of the upwards of 100k that some people shell out to have race-shops do the work for them. Thanks for the imput so far... I hope to have a streetable car within the next 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by 2501
                  actually, by the time I was going to be done with this engine, I was planning on taking it closer to 3l than anything, but that isn't final. I want response more than raw horsepower, so I wont be striving for huge #'s. I plan on spending about the next year finding a ka24 I can use, and just working up from there. It took some time, but I estimate that if I did 99% of the work myself, including blueprinting, some polishing, and assembly, i would spend around 10k, instead of the upwards of 100k that some people shell out to have race-shops do the work for them. Thanks for the imput so far... I hope to have a streetable car within the next 2 years.
                  100K?!?!?! What shop charges 100K to build a motor?

Comment

Oh...... Ok, so you're like 17/18 yrs old. Right? It's awesome if you can do everything yourself, but WTF do you mean by 10K? Is this for the car as a whole or just the engine? You could have a badass machine for maybe half that bro. Forget the V-mounts and the 18in. negative 30 offsets.

Comment

Originally posted by Aiki-Drift
                      Oh...... Ok, so you're like 17/18 yrs old. Right? It's awesome if you can do everything yourself, but WTF do you mean by 10K? Is this for the car as a whole or just the engine? You could have a badass machine for maybe half that bro. Forget the V-mounts and the 18in. negative 30 offsets.
                      umm if you woulda taken the time to click his public profile youd see he was born a few years after you. dont use assumptions because some of the 17/18 year olds no hell of a lot more than you mr civic

Comment

I covered my tracks. No pun intended. I said it's cool if he can do everything himself at that age. I wasn't trying to get into a pissing contest about working knowledge. Most of my experiance does come from the multiple hybrid civics I have owned, so what? I love a GSR/eg6 and I am not ashamed. I own an S13 as well, so what's up with the Mr. Civic business? My apologies if someone was offended. I admire everyone's knowledge and advice on this forum. Let's move on.

Comment

yeah im only 17, but I have been studying alot into this. Anyway, yeah I mean 10k for the engine.. I figure new rods, new pistons, gaskets, new head, headers, new crank, porting, polishing, balancing, blueprinting... doing most of that yourself cuts the $$ load. Blueprinting alone cost around 2k. its just like back in the muscle age... work from the ground up. BTW, I'm not taking any insult to the age thing.. I learned more about cars just by reading and such. I know more than most of my friends taking auto. Its sad really.. because they are getting an education on how to repair engines, and do maaco-grade paint jobs.. and I am saving money to build a block from the ground up along with the knowledge of good suspension. I am looking for a good ka24 block, and over the next few months.. I just plan to swap everything out for high quality parts. By the time I'm done.. I will have an engine that can take anything. No fear of blowing anything off, or dropping anything.

Here is the story with the 100K number.
                          There is a guy in his 20's in my neighborhood. I dont know what kind of car it is right now.. but he has spend well near $80,000 in his ride. His paint alone problably cost $10 grand. Its a kicking blue paint at that. Anyway, he did such a good job with his car..he was asked by the crew of the 2F2F movie to rent it to them. So, in a nutshell, it problably paid his car off. But yes it is possible to drop top dollar down for a killer ride. Apparently he only drives it at night.

End of story... If I can find him, I will ask for some crazy pics for you guys.

Comment

Cool. Well I think most people go with the Sr20 simply because it is a proven motor. It's relatively easy to get power out of it and it's already a poweful. The Ka24de is the road less traveled. So, you know people will be skepticle on buliding it up or adding a turbo when they can just go with an Sr20det, stock, and be ready to go. I'm really interested in going the N/A route, but I need to find someone that is significantly knowledgable in that area for the Ka. Iv'e read that by adding single cam pistons to the Ka24de one can achieve a compression ratio of about 11:1. However, tuning is the most important issue and I don't know of anyone in my area that can tackle this task right now. But, with all things we must be determined and persistant. I guess we'll see.

Comment

just out of curiosity, what are the stock hp and tq #'s for a ka? Do you think its possible to break 300hp on na? with an insane buildup of course..?

Comment

Working...
                              X