No Power Steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Power Steering

I couldn't find any posts on here, but I'm sorry if there was.

I just wondering is it any more difficult to drift without power steering.
    Generally regular driving is fine in the upper speeds (law abiding) and such, it's just harder for low speed things, such as turning corners or parking.
    I am just wondering if it affects drifting at all or if anyone has experience with it.

Thing is, I'm looking at getting an 87 FC and it doesn't have power steering. Thanks everyone!
    Attached Files

I drift just fine in my non-ps FC. Though I never thought it was hard to drive. Maybe cuz I learned to drive on something without ps. But, in answer to your question, I wouldnt say it was more difficult per se. Every car has characteristics unique to that car. If you learn to drift on a non-ps FC, you shouldnt have any trouble with it or any other car you choose to drift. I...guess.. it is more trouble to countersteer in my FC than my S14 but you just see it as one of those characteristics of that car. Its not like its difficult, just different. BTW, I prefer my FC to my S14.

Comment

alright, rock on, thanks for the imput

Comment

Well there's a big difference between unhooked PS and manual steering.

I like both because I'm not a wuss.

Comment

Well IMO i think if your not buff you would probably want to have power steering. You could always buy the car and install power steering if you dont like it without it!

Comment

My FC was a non PS, and it was easy to control once hung out, but sometimes fighting the counter-steer was a little bit much for me.

but thinking about it now, it was partialy my skill level, and arm strength. but its was ok.

Comment

In the basic sense between powersteering and not:

Powersteering-
              -easy to steer
              -2 or so revolutions lock-to-lock
              -some road feel, dependent on ps system

Manual steering-
              -hard to steet at low speeds/stopped
              -4 to 8 revolutions lock-to-lock
              -more road feel, dependent on system

Basically, manual steering is a pain. You probably get more feedback from it, but you're sacrificing easy of steering and steering speed with the higher number of revolutions.

Comment

COULD YOU CONVERT MANUAL TO POWER STEERING

Comment

corolla manual steering is quicker than PS. funny.

Comment

if your PS is powerfull enough, you can literally throw you steering wheel to the other side, i think. (like the D1 drivers)

Comment

when i first learned ebrake slides in an FF i would throw the wheel to counter steer and it would go by its damn self, then you can catch it with good timing and have yourself a nice slide, thats a little too rough usually for my 240 so i dont do it anymore, but i suppose its nice to know you can....but anyways, i drove my best friends 240z, no power steering, and counter steering is a biatch...

Comment

I'm just going by what I know. Steering is no problem for me and I have unhooked PS.

The faster you go the easier it gets. So go faster

Comment

Originally posted by Spy001
                          when i first learned ebrake slides in an FF i would throw the wheel to counter steer and it would go by its damn self
                          you mean oversteer first right?

Originally posted by aphxero
                          I'm just going by what I know. Steering is no problem for me and I have unhooked PS.

The faster you go the easier it gets. So go faster
                          lmao

Comment

nah, i would feint to one side, then tturn hard to the other, as i gave it a little ebrake, then as it started to get over steer i would throw it back the other direction and catch it when i felt it was at the correct counter steering postition and then correct to straight

Comment

My Rack and pinion is very fast( 1.5 turns from center to lock). Even when stopped its really not that bad. I could see perhaps a grandmother having a problem with no powersteering but certinly it shouldn't be a problem for any young person.

Comment

Working...
                              X