Having Trouble Drifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having Trouble Drifting

I have used search and not found what I am looking for, please point me to a thread if my topic is addresed elsewhere.

My friend (who can drive) and I, just got back from a short "drifting" run. We are using a 1985 Nissan Pickup (no markings indicating model), we are having problems initiating the drift. What we are currently trying is basically let off the gas and brake (if needed) a little before the corner, hold the clutch and gas to raise the revs, drop it as we enter the turn and then throw the steering wheel into the turn. All we are getting is mild to moderate oversteer and a short (1-3 seconds) tire screech. If anyone has any tips for our techinque that would be great, I know we need more practice but we cant stay in one spot to long, we already had to leave after 15 minutes because we heard sirens.

edit: stuff I didnt say but you could probably figure out; its rear wheel drive not 4WD, its manual (duh clutch), from what I have researched on it, the model is 720 Pickup
    Last edited by Xantos; 08-10-2004, 09:16 PM.

i was asking for help....

Comment

got LSD?

Comment

i would seriously doubt it, but i am not 100% sure

Comment

sorry for posting in the wrong section

Comment

if your truely are asking for help, push in the clutch as you go in the corner, grab the hand brake and get more angle. Also get more speed then maybe the drift will last longer.
            BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

Don't pick-ups usually have a pedal e-brake?
              Last edited by jaydm180sx; 08-11-2004, 08:24 AM.

Comment

it is neither pedal or "regular" lever e-brake, its just this plastic handel that you pull out, its located under the iginition, i dont think it would be easy to use for drifting.

Comment

learn to use it, without a lsd its pretty much your only way to lock up both rear tires at once.
                  BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

hmm, we did ok tonight. When we first started it was wet and we pulled our very first "nice" one. He is using a combination feint and clutch kick, i'd say the best we did tonight was a 35* angle drift. If we could stay in one spot longer it would be great, however tonight was a big improvement on last night's drift run.

Comment

Originally posted by Xantos
                      it is neither pedal or "regular" lever e-brake, its just this plastic handel that you pull out, its located under the iginition, i dont think it would be easy to use for drifting.
                      I still do not know if it has one or not, but tonight I felt something that made me think both tires locked, the back-end "hopped" if you will, very slightly, but noticeable. Is there any way I can check by looking under the truck to see if it is in fact LSD equiped?

Comment

Originally posted by Xantos
                        I still do not know if it has one or not, but tonight I felt something that made me think both tires locked, the back-end "hopped" if you will, very slightly, but noticeable. Is there any way I can check by looking under the truck to see if it is in fact LSD equiped?

It's probably a combination of Leaf Springs and a solid axle rear end.

Comment

to tell if you have lsd, jack up the rear end, spin one of the tires, if the other tire spins the same way, then you may have a factory lsd, if it spins opposite, then you dont, and most dont.

Comment

well there is no way for us to jack it up so we will just contiue what is working without worrying about using the parking break or anything else like that.

Comment

Working...
                            X