Formula D Insider Episode 6 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formula D Insider Episode 6 2012

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ueNSbTcSA68" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Formula D Insider Episode 6 2012

What revisionist drivel. F#$% Formula D and their bs
    Last edited by my 1 88 u; 07-13-2012, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Nobody knows what's going on lol

Comment

Originally posted by Bebop View Post
        Nobody knows what's going on lol
        Yeah I wrote this on wrecked, but a little revised from my sleepy dazed typing this morning.

The description of the "rules" from Ryan just brings up more questions then answers. What is disturbing me is what I got from Ryan’s excellent phrasing of if you don't like how we do it…well too bad. Its just bizarre how the judging changes from event to event with rules surfacing when they are suited to favor a result that clearly would have gone the other way. People are not stupid who watch this. WE ALL got the basic rules of drifting from the same place. Its just hard to accept what the Judges call is a defined winner when they are CLEARLY overlooking the same error done earlier that day by another driver. Proximity? How about INCONSISTENCY.

Formula Drift, Ryan and Jim. America needs you to get the judges act together. This making us look REALLY bad. Sure the cars are closer together in tandem, but at what cost? I mean other countries with their own Pro Series have got judging down solid for years, and they started after we did! I really liked the interview with Jarod. He does his job better than anyone else can. He has to be a great guy to hang out and party with. Now how about FDI getting into the Judge's face on camera to hear why they made the calls, rules, and cases, that they did when it's painfully clear to a large number of experienced drifters, fans, and former Judges who the winner is. Sharing info from the drivers meetings would be of great help too, since rules seem to change from round to round. Perhaps Justin Leveton and EOS can sit in then fill us in on the meeting. better yet have driftstream broadcast in the meeting as well. This I think will help clear up the majority of understanding what is going one and what the drivers are being told they need to do to win. Overall The drivers and events have been awesome. Great talent and greater people in this sport, pros and non pros alike. Lets clear this nasty bump in becoming the best, and keep drifting fun.

Comment

Hi Lifer,

There's been some talk about broadcasting the drivers meeting, but a decision was made that it's better to not broadcast it. After being thru many of them as a media member, I think it's probably not worth it. I'll definitely try and communicate the judging criteria more over the stream, but I know there is also a piece that Ryan and Jarod are doing before both Top 32 and Top 16 which is designed at helping to answer some of the questions.

It's been tricky to get explanations from the judges because there's so much going on. As soon as a decision is made, the next run is about to start. Plus you have both a live announcer (Jarod) and the livestream setup, so you can't hold everything up to give an explanation multiple times. Plus, I think when you look at other judged sports, judges rarely if ever actually give explanations. As I watched X Games 2 weeks ago, I realized that there's no faces to the judging at all. We don't know whether they are former professionals or just fans from the audience, but 99% of the time, respect the scores and decisions without question. I also have been watching more soccer, and there's never any explanation from the refs on calls that are made. That's just the way it works.

I think our broadcast location in Seattle is completely separate from the area where the judges are at, so it may be even trickier to get explanations there than at other tracks. But I'll see what we can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post
            Hi Lifer,

There's been some talk about broadcasting the drivers meeting, but a decision was made that it's better to not broadcast it. After being thru many of them as a media member, I think it's probably not worth it. I'll definitely try and communicate the judging criteria more over the stream, but I know there is also a piece that Ryan and Jarod are doing before both Top 32 and Top 16 which is designed at helping to answer some of the questions.

It's been tricky to get explanations from the judges because there's so much going on. As soon as a decision is made, the next run is about to start. Plus you have both a live announcer (Jarod) and the livestream setup, so you can't hold everything up to give an explanation multiple times. Plus, I think when you look at other judged sports, judges rarely if ever actually give explanations. As I watched X Games 2 weeks ago, I realized that there's no faces to the judging at all. We don't know whether they are former professionals or just fans from the audience, but 99% of the time, respect the scores and decisions without question. I also have been watching more soccer, and there's never any explanation from the refs on calls that are made. That's just the way it works.

I think our broadcast location in Seattle is completely separate from the area where the judges are at, so it may be even trickier to get explanations there than at other tracks. But I'll see what we can do.
            Thank you for replying,

I see what you mean. The more we know, the more we have to disagree with. I think the Judges being connected so openly to the fans was considered normal for drifting being how it is in Japan. From the perspective of the success in well established judging motorsports. Perhaps it is better to just not know so much about the judges, and trust Formula Drift judging for what it is, and how its developing. Maybe get a few pointers from the X games into FD judging is the best way to go. Aside from that, I do understand it is not easy trying to relay what is going on, but I feel what you, EOS, Joey, and the guest drivers commenting have been a great success. I look forward to Seattle, and I wish the best to all the drivers going. It will be another amazing round for sure!

Comment

Working...
            X