X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D1 Drivers Search (FEEDBACK)

Originally posted by WINDING Master

Post your feedback on this thread!

i have a cut from his front bumper. some kid was carrying it around and i ran into it... lol.

i was kinda disappointed in the people competing. the two people i went to watch, didnt drive up to their potential. the guy in the black primered 240 could have done a lot better. and ive seen ed in his R32 drive alot better then he did in the white 33 that day. i just think it was a horrible track layout with those bumps. even the pros didnt like it

Comment

I'm still waiting to see if Drifting.com will come up with any photos of me so I can see every little dent on my car and every chive between my teeth...Gotta love nice photography!

Comment

I agree, if a pair of japanese second stringers flew half way across the world and managed to all three get into the top 5 then why do we think our gentlmen are good enough to be in the d1?

now perhaps d1 should straighten out there rules and be alittle more organized next time. but thats another question.

Comment

HAHAHA!

i gota piece of that front bumper!!!!!!! and all my buddes got the back! we had it over by shogunstyle's booth! any ways it was a OK event to boring tho after awhile... i still think US drivers need sum work... what is up with ernie? his skills are like gone or is it car trouble? anyways i still root for ya ernie! and gooluck to kurt the new JIC driver! and ED man o man ur secnd run was good but the ret kinda fell off into the abyss! oh well good luck to all going to VEGAS! ill be there too hopefully

Comment

oh so you were one of those annoying *Censored**Censored**Censored* little kids running around with the body huh?

Comment

ouch

ouch thats harsh! no i put mine away after i got it ......

Comment

After some of the drivers from the drivers search explained what happened, I no longer feel the same way, so I retract my previous comment. No promises were made so none were broken.

Comment

Let me start by saying that I am not trying to argue the validity of anyone point. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I can not say that they are either right or wrong. I simply wish to add some insight to the situation with one of the drivers.

I have known Kouichiro Hamada, or Hama as we call him, since 1997. He is a memeber of Team Fancy in Okinawa Japan which I was fortunate enough to be asked to join after a month of daily intensive training under the tutelage of Koda-san. For those that do not know, Okinawa is about 1000 miles from Tokyo seperated of course by the Pacific Ocean. For Hama to enter a drift competition he is looking at $3000 out of his pocket just for a chance to compete. Needless to say not a lot of drifters from Okinawa ever even get the chance to try for an invite to D1.

This past spring Blue Eye Auto Body with Signal Auto sponsored Hama and friend and team mate Yoshitomo to enter an event in Osaka. In this particular event Hama made it to the final round, usually 2 drivers, where he proceeded to roll his car of course costing him the win. through tireless effort he was able to get a new car together and get some more seat time.

Now I am not entirely certain what the arrangement was but I believe that Hama came to the states more at the request of Signal Auto than as an attempt to claim a spot in D1, although I am sure it would be a nice bonus.

I think it may be a bit harsh to call Hama a second rate drifter. In fact I would have to put his skill level up there with many if not all of the D1 drivers. Typically Okinawans are poor, lol, and without access to the huge budgets of huge shops in Mainland Japan they are forced to go the cheap route. Kinda like most drifters in the states. In fact I was drifting a $5000 AE86 before my return to Japan.

As stated the drivers search is an attempt to find the elite in the US. It is not intended to provide another drift event for people to have fun at. If you found out the hard way that you did not have the skills to advance at this event, please don't feel bad. Just do your best. Get out and get more seat time. Enter some autocrosses to fill in the gaps between drift events. Spend time just driving around at normal speeds getting used to how your car feels. Set up your own practice events. Try and find a parking lot to rent to legally practice. Do what ever it takes.

Perhaps there are politics involved, perhaps there is a hidden agenda, who knows. One thing I know for sure, all the bitching in the world is not going to change them. All you can do is work that much harder to make sure that you get a shot.

Please try and remember one thing. D1 is a Japanese series and not the UN. You are trying to break into their series and they owe you nothing for it. You have no rights or privilages. If you do not like the challenge then I encouage you to work as hard as you can to build a drifting series in the US that makes the Japanese want to come here.

I hope that I have not upset anyone. I was simply trying to give my thoughts, share some ideas, shed some light and hopefully inspire a driver or two to work harder and not give up.

Remember that we drift because we love it, not because other people think we should. I know for myself that I drift because it frees me from the days worries. I drift for the enjoyment of the fans. I drift because I can. Who cares what a judge says. Don't give up, keep at it and as always.... STAY SIDEWAYS!!!
                  Last edited by kuku_drifter; 08-18-2004, 02:03 AM.

Comment

what were the japanese drivers cars if anybody knows please post........slonie what kind of car do you have

Comment

Here's the top 8 as far as I know...In no order but I put myself at the bottom for some reason

Kouichiro Hamada - Signal's Orange S13 Sil1580
                      Conrad Grunewald - White JSpec S13 240SX fastback
                      Benson Hsu - White Kaaz S13 240SX fastback
                      Naoto Suenaga - A really sexy blue S14
                      Quoc Ly - Black S13 240SX coupe on Steelies...Yeah!

Ross Petty - Bling blang Oni FD that I'm sure you've seen
                      Barry Wong - Black Kaaz 240SX fastback
                      Lee Slone (that's me) - Diet Coke AE86

Also, congrats to other top 13 finishers including fellow AE86 drivers Taka Aono (white Drift Association hatcback) and Hiro Fujita (green Crabdrifting/Blacktrax supercharged Levin coupe)

I am pretty sure Tanner Foust (Lateral G Racing) in the dark blue S14 with OZ wheels and the MSport/Canonball-R driver (Japanese dude driving a 240SX that looked like a Team Orange car) were in there too.

Comment

anyone got any pics of the cars in the top 8 ? can u please post sum pics of these guys cars im intrested in what everyone was driving

Comment

kuku_drifter,

You have not upset anyone, and thank you for the story...

I have known Kouichiro Hamada, or Hama as we call him, since 1997. He is a memeber of Team Fancy in Okinawa Japan which I was fortunate enough to be asked to join after a month of daily intensive training under the tutelage of Koda-san. For those that do not know, Okinawa is about 1000 miles from Tokyo seperated of course by the Pacific Ocean. For Hama to enter a drift competition he is looking at $3000 out of his pocket just for a chance to compete. Needless to say not a lot of drifters from Okinawa ever even get the chance to try for an invite to D1.

But, once again isn't this for the D1 vs Japan shootout?
                          How many of them are coming back to rep the US in that event answer me that question....If they want a D1 license do it in Japan. Last I heard we don't have the 51st state of Okinawa. I will say your friend had skills and is good no doubt, but is he here for the right reason?

It is a matter of principle with me now..

Don't get me wrong everyone who made the top eight derserved to be there! Slonie, you did a kick *Censored**Censored**Censored* job out there and threw in an awsome run, Congrats. I was yelling my *Censored**Censored**Censored* off for you! just ask Naoki!..

I had to get this out, so take it for what it is worth, If any of you know me personally I am a very fair and honorable person.

kuku_drifter, I do agree we are in this cause we love drifting! and you are right, keep trying harder, and the biggest difference, Get a lot of money to build a drift car..
                          Thank you
                          Last edited by RyanHampton; 08-18-2004, 10:01 PM.
                          Ryan Hampton

Baller Bolts Titanium Hardware

Comment

Here is my opinion...Look at D1 like any other major motorsport. Take F1 for instance, it is the upper echelon of drivers, ony the best in the world can be competitive in the series. These drivers come from all over the world, and the races take place there too. Then CART, it is the top open wheel racing league in the US, but drivers from all over the world participate. Although some are not of the caliber that the F1 dirvers are, I would hardly call them second rate drivers.

Compare this now to D1. There is the Japanese series which is generally considered the best in the world. Then there are the US drivers. Once again, I would hardly call these guys second rate, some not of the caliber of the Japanese, but how are the US drivers ever gonna learn how to be competitive unless they compete against the best. I think that is why D1 made the course so difficult, only the strong survive...right?

On a second note, are you guys scared of the Japanese drivers? Hey, I am not the best driver myself, but I am up for the challenge!!!

Comment

By no means are we scared,

I not sure if you were commenting on my post, if you were read it again to get the point.

I am looking forward and I think everyone here is hoping to drive aginst the Japanese D1 drivers. Yes we will not win, I think we all know and accept that. Will it make us better?, yes. Scared no. Matter of principle yes.

I'll shut up now on this subject..
                              Ryan Hampton

Baller Bolts Titanium Hardware

Comment

I'll run for D1... After i get my car ready... Hell I don't have a car yet that's worthy of drifting...

I'll show the Japanese Judges...

Matt.

Comment

Working...
                                X