Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powersliding vs drifting

So:
    I am at poker night the other night and some guy tells me he did a powerslide. And i said you should try drifting. We got into a discussion and realized both of us didnt know what the hell we were talking about. SO what is the difference between a powerslide and drifting???

No flames on how ignorant i am either

A powerslide is a type of drift, Drifting is basiccly losing grip while taking a turn.

Comment

Power- Drifitng

I am at poker night the other night and some guy tells me he did a powerslide. And i said you should try drifting. We got into a discussion and realized both of us didnt know what the hell we were talking about. SO what is the difference between a powerslide and drifting???
      You were talking about the same thing the only diference is the era in which the driver is or was doing it. What used to be called powersliding is now called drifting and drifting is now a sport. Before drifting/powersliding was exclusive pretty much as a rally driving technique for loose surfaces.

Also don't let anyone tell you drifting is a faster cornering method because that will be the next thing you will hear on this board???

Comment

You're a n00b aren't you?

Show drifting isn't faster but race drifting is. Learn the difference.

Comment

RE:

Originally posted by nightracer
          You're a n00b aren't you?

Show drifting isn't faster but race drifting is. Learn the difference.

The n00b might be you dude. Race drifting is RARELY faster than a solid gripping line. No matter what happens in ID. =\
          Last edited by ACDSupra7; 01-08-2004, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Technically, a powerslide is a technique in which you use the momentum of the car coming through the corner to slide. In a drift, the car is sliding before entering the corner.

Put another way, a powerslide loses grip after the apex of the turn, while a drift loses grip before.

Also, a powerslide can be a legitimate racing technique, allowing travel through a corner and into a straight faster, while a drift, excluding limited rally applications, is purely about show.

Comment

everyone who says that drift is all show tends to forget about one thing: today's race cars have tons of grip and downforce. The reason drift can be faster in some cases is that it was born out of street racing. Street racing=street tires and no external downforce. Just watch an old F1 race from the 50's... they drift nearly every corner.

Comment

the difference, well to me anyways, between drifting and powersliding is that a drift is set up to lose traction from the beginning, a powerslide is when you go into a corner too fast and the momentum of your car and the speed just pulls you beyond the grip of you tires resulting in a slide after you started the turn. Drifting is on purpose, powersliding is sort of on accident.

Comment

Originally posted by Al_Hounos
                  everyone who says that drift is all show tends to forget about one thing: today's race cars have tons of grip and downforce. The reason drift can be faster in some cases is that it was born out of street racing. Street racing=street tires and no external downforce. Just watch an old F1 race from the 50's... they drift nearly every corner.
                  sorry dog i'm new to the drift scene on here, BUT i do know auto racing and in no way is drifting, powersliding on concrete/asphalt fast, direct line is the fastest way around a turn when u slide or dift your losing momentum, and the reason the "older" F-1 cars appeared to drift was because the driver was pushing the car to it's limit of control, if u watch any kind of racing from F-1 to Indy to any GT racing from Japan, Europe, US where the racing is tight and close between two or more drivers you'll see if someone starts to slide on a turn they'll lose momentum, thats why race cars are set up for downforce because they want the car to go around a turn as fast as u can go without losing control of the car, Do u know that a F-1 car produces enough downforce at top speed i believe even at 150mph that it can LITERALLY race upside down? I kid u not

Comment

^ Yeah, this guy is right. Talk all you want about how drifting is faster than straight line, blah blah blah...the simple fact is that a car is meant to go forwards and when you take that car and make it go sideways, regardless of angle, it will travel slower. I did know that about the F1 cars too, and to put it bluntly, that's F-ed up.

Comment

Originally posted by panda_3ight_6
                      A powerslide is a type of drift, Drifting is basiccly losing grip while taking a turn.
                      ...Power slide and drift are completely diferent. just losing grip ina turn is a power slide. power slide tend to be induced by crankign the wheel and giving it gas 1/2 through a turn (the ever so controversial power over drift). and coming out of the turn with te *Censored**Censored**Censored* end WAY out. thats not a drift.

Drifting can be classed as a fully controlled slide powerslides tend to be uncontrolled. the concept of drifting is to hold the "slide" through a series of opossing turns without regaining traction. if you just powerslide on eturn you will quickly find yourself in the curb.

dont; confuse driftign and power sliding. just because your tial end goes out doesnt; mean you just pulled off a drift. when you are going through a bunch of a corners sideways and controlling the slide with THROTTLE not steering. you MAY be drifting.

Comment

Originally posted by ///FiveOneOh
                        ...Power slide and drift are completely diferent. just losing grip ina turn is a power slide. power slide tend to be induced by crankign the wheel and giving it gas 1/2 through a turn (the ever so controversial power over drift). and coming out of the turn with te *Censored**Censored**Censored* end WAY out. thats not a drift.

Drifting can be classed as a fully controlled slide powerslides tend to be uncontrolled. the concept of drifting is to hold the "slide" through a series of opossing turns without regaining traction. if you just powerslide on eturn you will quickly find yourself in the curb.

dont; confuse driftign and power sliding. just because your tial end goes out doesnt; mean you just pulled off a drift. when you are going through a bunch of a corners sideways and controlling the slide with THROTTLE not steering. you MAY be drifting.
                        Agree. PowerSliding is just sliding (usually applies to FF cars). TODAYS drifting is consist of turns and purposely letting go of your grip and controling that drift in each turns. Listen to the tire screetching on D1. It hardly stopped. Because they didn't have traction most of the time.

Comment

Powersliding means you are applying power with the tail out... duh, power. It' not just sliding in general. It's part of drifting... aka "power over". Of course there's more to drifing than just powersliding. When somebody says powerslide, they USUALLY are refereing to the middle/exit of a turn.

As for the comment on it being an era type thing... uhm, ok. I think you are reaching... it's semmantics and terminology/ common sense. When I was a kid on bmx bike (late70s-80) we'd skid and slide the tail out, usualy to a stop using the brake. The big thing was a true "powerslide" instead of the more boring brake skid, where you actualy pedal the bike around a turn and slide the rear tire out with a strong crank.

Comment

Drifting Madness

Most of you are all a bunch of infiantile retards driving your parents cars anyway for you to think drifting is new and it's different than powersliding because, of this and because of that bla bla bla.

For christ sakes it all started sixty years ago in the European rally scene, those rally drivers developed every technique you see today in drifting. The feint, lift off, pendulum etc etc. On loose surface their wheels are constantly spinning "just like the D1 cars" on tarmac. The rally drivers set their cars sideways before the corners "just like the D1 drivers" do today.

Like I said before, the term powersliding has evolved into the word drifting today. Thats all, but for some reason everybody wants to claim it as their own and it's new. Sorry to dissapoint but you can't clam something that has already existed extensively for half a century in other parts of the world.

This is a quote from the Silverstone Rally School in the UK:
                            "Sliding a car sideways through a corner, a hand brake turn at a downhill hair-pin, a pendulum slide through the "esses" and all under control! The noise. The dust (or mud) and the pure excitement of driving a real rally car on an authentic gravel "special stage".

http://www.silverstonerally.co.uk/about.html

Sounds very much like drifting eh except there much more involved in a rally. Remember a drifting comp today involves what 3-4 maybe 5-corners! How about a fifteen munute stage with over 300 corners with speeds well over 100mph and a 100 foot sheer cliff drops on one side of you. If anybody went to a rally school here in the U.S they would quickley become one of the top drifters because these schools teach all these techniques. Case in point - Rhys Millen a top U.S Rally driver is it an accident that he is one of the top U.S drifters? Well I guess most of you reading this would think so judging by the post I have read so far.

the difference, well to me anyways, between drifting and powersliding is that a drift is set up to lose traction from the beginning, a powerslide is when you go into a corner too fast and the momentum of your car and the speed just pulls you beyond the grip of you tires resulting in a slide after you started the turn. Drifting is on purpose, powersliding is sort of on accident.
                            This guy has obviously never drifted or powerslid his parents car yet, "powersliding is a sort of accident"..hahahaha sure it is, tell that to Petter Solberg, "So Petter you accidentally powerslid the car throughout the whole Acropolis Rally". You people are funny!

As for the comment on it being an era type thing... uhm, ok. I think you are reaching... it's semmantics and terminology/ common sense. When I was a kid on bmx bike (late70s-80) we'd skid and slide the tail out, usualy to a stop using the brake. The big thing was a true "powerslide" instead of the more boring brake skid, where you actualy pedal the bike around a turn and slide the rear tire out with a strong crank.
                            Reaching am I, Iwas actually talking about car driving techniques and you talked about bicycles. Who's reaching? Why don't you reach beyond what's in front of your nose and acknowlage the history of rally and that the word powersliding has evolved into the new term called drifting, that's all? There is much love from me to those who want to learn and understand this new sport, but ignorance I cannot tollerate.

Comment

OWNAGE!

Yea I had a little contoversy over this with my friends...I guess both of us were wrong....LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X