Powersteering Or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powersteering Or Not?

...i've been wonderin' now does it matter if you drift with powersteering or without. Or does it even matter at all...i was jus wondering cause some people be telling me if i drifted with a car without powersteering i would drift better...but i dont know i jus wanted some input from other people around the world...

well, im curious about this 2, but i know that some cars that have powersteering have toruble keeping up because it cant move as quick or put enough liquid in. But maual goes with the car and im pretty sure it is easier with manual.

Comment

i dunno ...never drifted with a manuel...but i have power steering and it goes with the car too...power steering works for me.....

Comment

Usually you want feedback from the ground through the steering rack. With power steering, you need more concentration to feel the feedback because the power steering pump absorbs most of it.

Comment

keep the power steering. Some claim you won't get as good of feedback...just listen better. The slight improvement in feel is not worth the significant increase in effort you will need to put into turning the car, although that is mostly at very low speed. There is no real reason to tear it out if it works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by iownju
            well, im curious about this 2, but i know that some cars that have powersteering have toruble keeping up because it cant move as quick or put enough liquid in. But maual goes with the car and im pretty sure it is easier with manual.

R U SURE ur not mixing up Automatic Transmission Fluid w/ Power Steering Fluid? Because those are two seperate entities. And not having power steering feels not much different when the car is in motion. But if the poewr steering's alreayd on the car and u don't need more room (for a bigger engine or a telly tubby in ur turbo spool), i'ts better not to takeit out for daily driving purposes.

Comment

It all comes down to driver preference.

Some drivers "need" PS some don't. Some cars NEED power steering others don't.

On a AE86 you could get drive it either way. I prefer manual steering (and I don't mean removing the PS pump and leaving fluid in the rack to make it "Manual" steering) on it though as it gives you the best feedback, but on my Soarer I prefer PS ...without I think I would DIE!!!! The heavier the car is the better off you are to leave the PS on it. Though there are some people that swear they can drift their MkIII supra's without PS, I have a hard time believing it... Maybe they have Popeye forearms... but that is a car I believe needs PS.
              So it all depends on the drivers needs and the car ... just think it through before you remove the PS from car and try to go drift it...

Comment

my drift FC has no power steering. i took it off when i first got the car to save weight and pluged the rack. i recived the car for free and it wasnt running, but i worked with it for about a week and got it to fire up. the motor was blown however, and only the front rotor had compression. i drove around the 40 hp beast with out PS and it still drifted fine. the only problem area was when transitioning in an S curve (didnt see many of them, since i could never get up enough speed to drift the whole thing. the steering naturally goes to about where you want it, but sometimes you have to catch it and its hard work to put the tires where you want them in that condition. a little bit of muscle and youve got great feeling steering response.

recently we gutted the whole thing and are in the process of putting in a new bridgeported motor and roll cage.

Comment

there's a difference between PS systems, too....

My GTS seems to have more sensitive PS than my SR-5's, and that bugs me. The SR-5's system seems to be the perfect compromise between no PS and the overkill GTS PS. Let me tell ya, I WOKE UP the first corner I hit fast in the GTS and felt the difference. Holy cow. I was used to moving the wheel a centimeter or so to make an adjustment in one particular changing radius corner and the need was suddenly reduced to millimeters.

I say driver preference except for heavy cars and those who are weight-reduction obsessed.

Comment

Working...
                  X