No announcement yet.

"Spin" the wheel or "turn" the wheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have a method to mine. i turn in to it and in mid drift I basically let go of the wheel let the car do it thing and then when I want to go to the other direction I let off the gas , yank the wheel in that direction and then mash the gas down again. works like a charm everytime

Comment

I just use my knee's.

Be creative, use your own technique.

Comment

I barely hold the wheel, as well.

clutchkick, let go, catch, adjust. accel off, let go, catch, mash gas. repeat as necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by LexmarkX73
          im sorry that just made me laugh.
          almost as funny as having a name named after a printer

Comment

it depends on the situation, is this from a quick feint? then i spin it, if its a long turn with changing radius's, then im adjust n turn it.

Comment

i use a combo as well, but i just kinda do what feels right...like if it feels as though its coming around too quick, i will let go, but usually i dont like to let it go unless its on the exit of a long drift or the such. i have found that in my car, if on the exit i let go, it comes out smoother, without and wierd tire catch or anything like that. but when it comes to like manji, or choku dori, there is never a time that i let the steering wheel slip. so i guess it really depends on what type of drifting im doing, and what the car feels like its doing

Comment

there's a proper technique for steering. The Japanese know it, and the WRC drivers use it. But I forget.

Comment

Originally posted by mechaniac
                  there's a proper technique for steering. The Japanese know it, and the WRC drivers use it. But I forget.
                  its called they are god, and they know it. lol

Comment

I think this one also depends on your car...

Some cars naturally tend to understeer. On cars that naturally understeer, you'd definitely control your drift with your pedal.

On Neutral balanced cars, you'd use both depending on how fast you're going.

With oversteering cars, you'd focus primarily on your steering... You'd also be very careful with throttle...

Comment

unless I keep a really loose hand on the wheel I spin on my transfers since I cant turn it quick enough I have to let it correct itself and then grab it and turn it that little bit more to catch it. I cant possibly turn it fast enough to correct and if I find myself doing it I usually end up spinning.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddyworm
                        I'm just curious as to what kind of steering techniques you guys use when drifting. Do you give the wheel a push in the direction you want it to go and let the caster do the rest, or do you like to turn the wheel entirely with your hands?

Personally, I find it depends on the steepness of my drift. If I feel the tail start to come out quick I just toss the wheel and let the caster take it. But if my angle's not too wild I'll use my hands the whole way.

B-Wurm
                        Usually i just keep my left hand at 12 o'clock on the wheel and my other hand free (the entire time) to shift.
                        Think of the 'GunTape Death Match in initial D' but without the tape so i can move my hand around the wheel if i need to.
                        Also my car is Rack&Pinion steering if that matters to anyone.

Comment

Im a big guy, so steering with my gut lets me put both hands out the window and flail them madly.

Comment

Originally posted by UberSpeed
                            Im a big guy, so steering with my gut lets me put both hands out the window and flail them madly.
                            LOL, now there is a technique that needs to be explained along side all the official techs.

Comment

yeah there is a technique...its called keep your hands on your wheel... its quite refreshing actually, you stay in control and you know where you are and how much input you need. If you can't "spin" the wheel fast enough then better start practicing turning the wheel faster. Letting the wheel go and catching it is a bad habit thats hard to cure once you rely on it.

Comment

Here's an in-cam with me and you can see I'm barely touching the wheel while linking the whole track.

http://rapidshare.de/files/1147709/drift42.avi.html

Comment

Working...
                                X