ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What clutches have you used / do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What clutches have you used / do you use?

There's so many brands to choose from, what is everyone using right now? what have you used in the past?

the clutch battle could be the next major battle on the circuit. Only 1 car in FD is an Automatic, it's the one thing that is almost unanimously swapped out on every car. First came the tire manufacturers, next comes the clutch battle??

Exedy? Act? ORC? Clutchmatchsters, OS Gikken, the factory aftermarkets (spoon / TRD / Nismo), HKS, Centerforce, Blitz, etc...

chime in here! Let's show the clutch companies that they should get involved...

Max at Illegal Garage makes some excellent clutches. They are impossibly strong and very well made. I have one in my AE86 and every 240 owner with one loves it as well.

Highly recommended.
    Last edited by Jaggorri; 08-01-2005, 04:29 PM.

Comment

i used a exedy oem replacement on my single cam, then on my ca18 i used a ceneterforce dual friction for the ka24, now on my ca i am moving to sr flywheel/clutch combo so im going lightweight flywheel and spec stage 3 clutch.

so far ive liked all of the clutches alot, the cenetrforce showed almost no wear after like 5 drift events and about 3k miles.

Comment

Clutch is in the sig. over 8000 miles on with lots of abuse, i love the clutch and will prob. never go back to anything less.

Comment

Exedy Hyper single. I Hear from various ppl its a sr tranny killer but I just maintain the fulid changes and its still alive after 10k with a lot of clutch kicking.

Comment

I have used alota different brands on quite a few different cars, and i have found that somtimes the same setup in one car can be great and one car can be bad. Unfortunatly you have to have the money for trial and error, or if you have a friend or someone you know that has the car you want or have, and the clutch setup you want that you can drive, you are good to go.

If not then i say ACT and RPS are the 2 ive used and been pleased with most often. However i am never up for trying new things, so in my Z I am thinking about trying a new brand and see where it gets me. I just hope it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by RED350z
              I have used alota different brands on quite a few different cars, and i have found that somtimes the same setup in one car can be great and one car can be bad. Unfortunatly you have to have the money for trial and error, or if you have a friend or someone you know that has the car you want or have, and the clutch setup you want that you can drive, you are good to go.

If not then i say ACT and RPS are the 2 ive used and been pleased with most often. However i am never up for trying new things, so in my Z I am thinking about trying a new brand and see where it gets me. I just hope it works out.

i have a jun with nismo clutch and pressure plate on my 350z. runs great and 3 drift days later and still beating on it

also seen the tilton carbon carbon clutch, but thats crazy hard to drive on the street and crazy $$$

Comment

No kidding, I know a guy that has that Tilton setup on his 350 and he attempts to daily drive it, its loud and extremely hard to drive even remotely normally.

However i have the Nismo clutch from the dealer in my 350 and since i track it, drift it, and daily it (pretty hard), its not dead but going. I dont know what im going to get yet, but i need something that i dont want to kill myself if i get caught in traffic somewhere, but also if i want to beat the crap out of it, it will hold. But i think thats what everyone wants

Comment

I had and beat the *** out of an Exedy hyper single in my FD for several thousand miles without any problem. I also have several friends running the same clutch with 10K + on them and they haven't had any problems either. I just ordered a hyper single for my FC drift project and I have absolutely no worries about it failing early. Exedy would be my recommendation. I have heard great things about Tilton clutches as well, but I don't have any personal experience with them. By the way, the Exedy hyper single is as close to stock feel as you can get with the kind of performance it offers unless you want to step up to a multi disc setup from Exedy or ORC. And Exedy clutches are made from OS Giken products, if I'm remembering correctly, so you can pretty much group those two together.

Zach

Comment

Well if you want to drift
                    shouldn't you get a clutch that is desgined for drifting?
                    by drifters, for drifters?

I have the first clutch ever designed specifially for drifting (circa 2001)
                    Does anyone else make one yet?

Max

Comment

Originally posted by illegalgarage
                      Well if you want to drift
                      shouldn't you get a clutch that is desgined for drifting?
                      by drifters, for drifters?

I have the first clutch ever designed specifially for drifting (circa 2001)
                      Does anyone else make one yet?

Max
                      got a question for illegalgarage. do you guys ship them out of the states?

Comment

ACT 6 puck with HD pressure plate....

will be using a new one next month, not sure what kind tho

Comment

I have Spec stage 4 on my sr.. I did not break it in like they said but it still does the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by zack
                            got a question for illegalgarage. do you guys ship them out of the states?
                            Yes i have had customers in japan, guam, philipines, canada, mexico, trinidad, peru, denmark, england, ireland, germany, norway, sweden, spain, france, and of course the USA

Max

Comment

Originally posted by illegalgarage
                              Yes i have had customers in japan, guam, philipines, canada, mexico, trinidad, peru, denmark, england, ireland, germany, norway, sweden, spain, france, and of course the USA

Max
                              cool, so when i need a new clutch i'll try one of yours

Comment

Working...
                              X