ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strapped on cash... best car for drifting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strapped on cash... best car for drifting?

I know most people won't agree on these choices for drifting but I've considered other factors into choosing these two:

Under $5000 I could get either an MR2 (SW20) or a 300ZX (Z32).
    Which one would be the best buy?

(BTW, I might consider an FC but the MR2 and 300ZX are hardly seen drifting)(also, I don't like the 240SX at the moment because I'd force myself to do a swap and I don't have the money )

get the 300zx the mr2 is not suposed to be to good for drifting

Comment

Actually the MR2 is a very capable platform for Drifting albeit much harder to learn. I wouldn't go with a 300 just because you don't see them often. Think of this, you may not see them because they aren't an easy beginner car. Think about that. If you are starting out I would go with the tried and true 240 or if you can't stand that then the FC.

Comment

Originally posted by zdss14
        get the 300zx the mr2 is not suposed to be to good for drifting
        There suposed to be alot harder to drift, more weight in the rear makes it hard to keep from spinning.. but tail happy.

I think the same would be true for most mid engined cars.

Do you have any drifting experience? if so an MR2 might be a good choice. 300zx is a heavy car, i wouldnt really like it for drifting, but they have what it takes, smooth power band, and rear wheel drive.

240sx are great for a budget, just dont do a swap of any kind. There great stock to learn in, especialy if your new. Older RX-7s sound like a good deal too. NA FCs can be had for pretty cheap, and FBs are cheap,

86s cost so much these days there not even worth it for a budget, unless you just love them. or happen to find a good deal.

Dont over look domestic vehichles either, Older Mustangs and Camaros have what it takes, there just not popular among the drifting community yet.

on the other end of the spectrum a Miata can be a pretty good drift machine, especialy if your not a huge person.

If you have experience drifitng you can probably find some older subarus might be good drift machines with there AWD. though from what i hear AWD seems way more complicated to drift.

dont forget the other old toyotas, Supras, RWD Celicas. im sure all of which can be drifted well.

There older cars too, like the Zs and older rotary powered Mazdas. might be worth looking for.

Just some ideas, i'd love to hear from others as well.

Comment

Re: Strapped on cash... best car for drifting?

Originally posted by s0nny80y
          I know most people won't agree on these choices for drifting but I've considered other factors into choosing these two:

Under $5000 I could get either an MR2 (SW20) or a 300ZX (Z32).
          Which one would be the best buy?

(BTW, I might consider an FC but the MR2 and 300ZX are hardly seen drifting)(also, I don't like the 240SX at the moment because I'd force myself to do a swap and I don't have the money )
          You should get the car that you think looks the best and then force it to drift. If those are the cars you like, pick one and then start driving.

Comment

amen to shimos, if you like it, MAKE IT WORK! but if you would just like to hear a good cheap drift car, i wouldnt get a 300zx because they are moderately heavy and the ones ive seen are much more expensive than $5K, the MR2, not bad, but probably not a good car to start on since it will require its own drifting style different from other RWD cars. my suggestions(in no order):
            1. corolla GTS- nice and cheap, easy to mod
            2. 240sx- moderately cheap, VERY easy to mod
            3. FC- little more expensive and harder to maintain, but faster (especially the turbo version) than the others so far mentioned.
            4. MKIII supra- about as pricey as the FC yet easier to maintain and a little faster, but also a little heavier.

MY .02

Comment

hmm....

*COUGH COUGH*chevette*COUGH COUGH*cheap*COUGH COUGH*51/49 weight balance*COUGH COUGH*

but seriously....
              I kinda like my chevette and for the money it you haven't drifted before, you'll thank yourself later.
              A good runner can be 200-400 dollars,
              Lower it ( cut the springs) and put it on stiff shocks
              and Aluminum 13s or 14s, and just go out and try it.
              I'm mostly drifting in snow and rain right now, but I'm getting it.

And if you are so inclined to be different, I bet you've never seen chevettes drifting (I thought I had, but I found out it was a starlet...that little purple car in clips on the net).

Just my 85 cent.

Comment

carolla gt-s not cheap, buy a 240 everyne uses them for a reason dude

Comment

Almost nobody uses first gen RX-7s. You could try that. They're hella cheap too. At least they are here in OK.

Comment

i like the Z cars.... but their one problem is they have a tendancy to swing too much at the end of a drift...especially when you let the throttle loose, they usually spin. at least that has been my experience.

just for the record, i dont think a swap is needed on a 240sx, especially if one is new to the sport. as far as get what you like and make it work, when i bought my 240, i looked for something that i could drift, but my biggest persuasion to get the nissan was because i am a HUGE silvia fan. that is also my 2 cents.....

Comment

Drifting is expensive, no mater which way you cut it

Comment

cheapest rwd manual transmission car you can find

youll need the rest for repairs, tires, fuel, insurance, upgrades

Comment

you definately wont need any swap if you are just starting to drift, thats for sure. you wont even be able to use all the power that a stock KA engine has to offer if you are just starting. Even when you are good, there is a growing aftermarket for the KA and you honestly dont need to do a swap at all. The 240 is an easy car to learn on, both drifting and repairing, because you will be doing a lot of that. Parts are cheap both repairing and aftermarket.

The FC I would love, just I don't know how to work on rotaries and I'm not sure what I would do if one broke, but otherwise a sweet drifting car that can be bought pretty cheap usually. I'm not sure of the cost of repairs.

AE86 are fun to drive, very little power though, but not necessary as previously stated. There are many stock LSDs for the 86, but they probably need a rebuild. I drove a buddy of mine's and it felt like my open diff on the S13. Definately gonna need a lot of maintaining the minute you get it, unless you get super lucky.

I wouldn't look at the 300zx if you just wanna be different. The N/A are ok, but the TT are hard to work on from my understanding, which makes it more expensive because you might have to pay people to do work for you. Plus insurence will be high. The suspension is good, same as 240 and skylines in the back. Just kinda heavy and expensive. Not ideal for beginner drifters.

mr2s, hmmmmm not really familiar with them. MR engine configurations are supposed to be spin happy which might be frustrating but if you stick to it im sure it will work out. The engines are not bad, just wierd to work on since they are kinda stuck in the middle. Haven't heard anything bad about the suspension, but it was intended as a sports car so I'm sure thats not an issue. So really its just the MR being spin happy and the difficulty of working on an engine in the middle of your car. And the insurence i think might be expensive.

Mk. III supras are nice, strong engines, kinda heavy but not horribly heavy. Haven't really looked into them but I know that the engine is really good, the N/A is easily turbo'd just by adding the turbo stuff from another supra on, all bolt on stuff. Decent mods in the aftermarket, most body kits are ugly though LOL. But that won't matter anyways until you're D1 or something. I'm sure the suspension is pretty good, shouldn't be a problem.

Any other thoughts,things I missed or things that I'm wrong about? I can't think of anything else right now.

Comment

the 300ZX is way to heavy. not saying its not driftable, but its gonna be hard to get it slideways.

the mr2, however is great for drifting. i think that youll find that its very easy to break traction and get the drift going, but the car has very unforgiving oversteer. good challenge if your up for it. i recommend the mr2 over the 300ZX anyday.

Comment

what about a S14 .......with the rising prices of 240s S14s are almost as cheap as them ne ways....and i dont see AS MANY out there

also......about the 300ZX how can it be to heavy??? arnt SC300 d@mn heavy and what about mk4 supras??? i think if u did a lil bit of weight reduction they would work fine

also i do know for a fact that working on the TTs are a pain in the arse tho a buddy of mine has one fast as a bat outa h3ll but hard to work on

Comment

Working...
                              X