Judging Criteria Favors V8's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judging Criteria Favors V8's

At the FD right now, playin hookie from work . Listening to Andy Yen's style criteria, I personally have some issues. As far as angle and smoothness goes, 100% agree. But faulting cars for nailing the rev limiter is a problem for me. Number 1, it shows full throttle commitment which is a great thing. Also, any vehicle with a smaller motor than a big torquey v8 will bog and loose all power. This rule is a major deterent from running a smaller motor, which hurts the sport as it destroys the diversity that makes it great.

Now that I'm done with my little rant. Keep up the good work, and it's gonna rip tomorrow.

Top 3 qualifiers at Irwindale:

Millen (V6)
    Pawlak (V8)
    Aasbo (I4)

Top 3 qualifiers at Vegas:

Aasbo (I4)
    Millen (V6)
    Nishida (I6)

That doesn't seem very V8-specific

Comment

Also, there's no real need to be hitting the rev limiter. Sure it shows full throttle commitment, but why not go one gear up and create even more wheels spin, thus more speed, smoke and angle. If you think about it, riding the rev limiter is almost like traction control.

Comment

Theres a point with 4 bangers that shifting causes all loss of power. You notice, only one 86 these days. I only saw one sr this weekend too. V6's can make up for it somewhat. So can rotaries. 4 cylinders just can't do that and remain competitive against these massive torque monsters under these rules.

Comment

Guess I'm eating my words now with 2 6's in the top 4. I.still have my opinion but it's definately freakin' insane tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by ruddyrid View Post
            Also, there's no real need to be hitting the rev limiter. Sure it shows full throttle commitment, but why not go one gear up and create even more wheels spin, thus more speed, smoke and angle. If you think about it, riding the rev limiter is almost like traction control.
            You need to drive more. It doesn't work that way.

Comment

Maybe it's 'cause I drift a rotary ;P 9k RPM naturally aspirated!

Comment

Originally posted by Cavi Mike View Post
                You need to drive more. It doesn't work that way.
                it can to a point, but not always. picking the moment and being fast enough to make it work is the worst part (sometimes impossible). but the traction control thing totally works and its annoying to hear it the whole turn/track.

the solution is that you have those $$$ quick change diffs and can adjust the gearing so you wont need next gear and maybe just a few more mph out of the one you're in... but that means you need some $$$.

just like anything else in pro drifting, if its going to dock you points, deal with it- its the pro's.

Comment

Working...
                X