Mid engine AWD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid engine AWD?

Are there any cars that come Mid Engine and AWD?

I tried a search on google but got a bunch of unwanted stuff.

I think on Top Gear they were testiing out a car that had that platfrom. But I dont remember which car it was.

And if anyone has any technical exploded views of this, that would be great if you can post that.

I believe Mitsubishi made a few mid engined 4wd 3000gts but I'm not sure.

Comment

I dont think mistu made a M4WD platform becuase the 3000 was a 2+2 and i dont think an engine would fit back there... i could evan fit back there (test drove one). But to anwer your question....yes there are M4WD but most of them are rally cars like the Ford RS200 and Lacia Stratos.

Comment

WTF???? Mid engine 3000gt, I want some of what ever you are smoking. Not to flame, but this is a good example of where you should keep quiet if you don't know what you are talking about.

There are several examples out there, but unfortunately I can't think of specific ones right now. I do know that Lambo, and Porsche both supported AWD options on some of the higher cars in their lines. Just do a search on Google, or yahoo and you will find them.

Comment

Says there's an MR 3gt in GT3 but I dunno that's y I said I BELIEVE because I wasn't sure. I'm an expert in american cars not japanese ones.

Comment

the only japanes car that is MAWD is the tommy-kiara ZZII

Comment

Lamborghini.

Comment

"MAwd"

Prosche 959 and Carrera 4, among a couple others i think, but i guess that's more rear engine, not mid engine.

Comment

Yeah, the TK ZZII is Mid engined and AWD, with a RB26 installed backwards.

I've seen an Ultima GT-R that had an M/A drivetrain that was essentially a normal AWD system running through a V-gear. I've also seen a Porsche 914 using a EJ20 in reverse orientation. I think EVO magazine featured a 4G63T-powered lotus Elise-style car built in SOuth Africa or something.

The M/A layout does have a lot of advantages - weight bias rearward, superior traction and power application - but attempting to adapt an F/A layout can have its challenges. I believe that if the AWD system was to keep its biasing and be turned 180* in the car (as in the ZZII), all of the internals need to be reversed on the block to essentially make the motor run backwards. Otherwise, in the case of the 4G63T, everything can be turned around and the transmission runs backwards which makes the front-biased DSM system into rear-biased.

Hope this helps...

-MR

Comment

Actually 2years180 you are half right. The RS200 was built with an AWD mid engine mounted Cosworth motor that was put out in 2 engine platforms. They were the 1.8 liter with up to 600 Hp and the 2.1 version but only 20 of those ever got produced. They made enough parts to make 220 of them but several never made it to full production and they used them for parts on the ones that did. They had to make 200 to meet FIA standards for Group B racing. The quickest of these made the 0-60 dash in 3.6 secs (some say faster, I believe Car and Driver or one of them said 2.1) 0-100 in 8.1 secs and 0-100-0 in 13.6. Amazing car. In it's debut season of 67 races it won 19. The rules for group B changed in 87 and killed the class due to major accidents that killed spectators and drivers.

Now the Lancia Statos was not AWD it was actually RWD. It came out in 1974-1975, two years. They made 492 of them but some say 502 made it to full production. It came with a 2.4 that made 190 hp at 7500 RPM. They also put a stranglehold on the Rallye world for awhile. They are still known to be run by privateers and are extremely agile and quick. Theres a guy in my hometown that has 2 of them. He owns a Taco place. Top speed was 143 MPH in stock trim. They amazingly resemble a Bertone (Fiat) X19. Not exactly but close. Also you can get replicas and alot of people race them in hillclimbs and rallyes around the world.
                    Last edited by Ghost of Duluth; 02-06-2004, 07:20 PM.

Comment

I thought the Stratos was a RWD T_T

Edit: Misread it Duluth, thought you were saying it was an AWD.

Comment

No siree bob, I was just correcting 2years180.

Comment

I just sort of gussed it was 4wd.... guess i was wrong.... you live you learn

Comment

Check this out . . .

The Nissan Mid 4 - Mid engine AWD prototype. The MID 4 II even had a VG30DETT!

http://zhome.com/History/MID-4.htm

Comment

sweet. thanks a million dude. t hat was EXACTLY what I was lookign for. you rule.

Comment

Working...
                              X